Blocked salivary gland

Guest

Guest 5/25/08 7:14 PM

I decided to post this here as everything that is happening to me fits in with all of these posts.
Was over radiated in 1995 for throat cancer. Was given a year to live and beat the odds.
But as most of us know there is always a however" Mine is simalar to all of yours.
Of course they did tell me that I may "temporarily" loose my saliva glands, sense of smell and taste. But all would eventually come back. I'm still a waitin. But they did not tell me they were going to over radiate either.
The Doctor who ordered this now Hi tailed it out of the country before he was brought up on charges by many others,

I have two questions.
1. Can having no saliva glands from being over radiated lead to Sjorners disease?

2 today is a bad day for thirst and nothing is working. I need some sort of drink I can drink to quench this thirst.
I just can't go on like this.
It is so bad that all the residue of a drink will remain on my lips and cake. This is even following wiping my mouth with a napkin.

Because of the damage to my digestive tract from the radiation diet pepsi is my drink followed by water. It is the only way I can belch.
I have had the heimlich five times in six months and two broken ribs. The food will not go down. All tests say oooooh she's ok. See watch that barium trickle down your throat. Yeah, they give me a cracker to eat. Not a bite of food.
Soory about all of this but I just want something to drink that will not continue to make me more thirsty.
Today it was three diet pepsis as that is all I had with me. two water's and now this cranapple stuff that is puckering me up.
It was mentioned to have sour candy. No no no you cannot do that without saliva glands. You also cannot eat bread produt. Such as white bread or a pizza not well done or an english muffin. Things like that. All it does is to form a ball in your throat. Gum falls apart in pieces because there is no saliva I guess.
There must be some formula of something that will quench a persons thirst. We have come so far in this world and nothing to quench thirst??? nothing that is not sweet????

This is just a thought that entered my mind right this moment.
Would an iv help. I would be willing to have a line put in to help with this. Anything. Just anything at all.
thank you
kal
Please forgive the length.
Guest

Guest 11/9/08 12:43 AM

just reading through some posts here...cause i got the stupid pain in right side of my neck just below my jawline... about 2 months ago i was at work and my neck started to swell up...after my ten hour shift my neck was pretty swollen so i went to the hospital and after some tests and an ultrasound of my neck they determined that my saliva glands were clogged and they sent me home with some antibiotics... after the ten days or so the swelling was completly gone...so back to life as usuall. now about two weeks ago i started to get some "tonsil Stones" (tonsillolith) or so i asume... i push them out manually cause they are very bothersome... and i have been clear of them now for around 4 days...no signs of any more...now i am at work again chewing on a peice of gum and i start to get that pain on the right hadn side of my neck right below the jawline.. i think it is my "Sub-Mandibular" (salvitory gland) that might be clogged again with a "Salivary Duct Calculus" but this is all stuff i looked up on the net tonight...but sounds very familar to the first post on this thread.
Guest

Guest 11/21/08 2:20 AM

I've had a lump for about three weeks. At my front bottom middle tooth, I have what I'm told is a BSG (blocked salivary gland). I had a minor (2 year old daughters elbow) incident and also an ash in the wind burned my lip within a span of two days. I had the first doc stick a pin in it and it did not drain quickly, but it did drain. the next doctor I saw today wants to cut it out.

I've never removed a useful part before so I'm thinking, is this a good idea? Theres stitches to deal with, then scarring, and the constant urge to aggravate that spot because it's not smooth anymore.

I am a pro a snappin' the occasional nasty zit when they surface, so believe me, I've given it a best effort attempt to keep it open after the first doc speared it.

I guess I'm fishing for someone to say I won't feel a significant difference in quality of life as related to saliva production if I do the procedure.
New Member

Dorkapalooza 1/16/09 10:54 AM

I expressed a pin head sized calcium looking deposit out of from under my tongue last night. Yesterday it started as a feeling of something stuck in my throat. then I noticed the side of my neck swelling. It is swollen from my jaw to the middle of my neck. Only on one side. I have been trying sour candy and lemons. There must be more than one? THe swelling has come down. My question is how long will it take to go down once the blockage is removed. We don't have insurance for me to see a doctor right now so I am just looking for an estimation. I look like half Jabba the hut half me. :$
Thanks for anyinput. Sounds like I at least found others with the same thing.

Sara
Guest

Guest 1/18/09 5:40 PM

Hey! ouch that hurts!! I too have just been diagnosed as having a blocked salivary gland. It started off with some redness under my tongue and a hard to swallow slight symptom. 2 days later, it looked a lot like another tongue growing out from beneath my tongue. It is very painful. Now it appears (along with having very bad breathe) that an infection has broken out and is visible on the back lining of my mouth (white patches). For some reason, i have an abundance of saliva in my mouth. As soon as i painfully spit it out, I feel more pain. If i keep the mouthful of saliva in my mouth the pain feels like its going away. I live 4 hours away from the closest emergency. I went there today and received some antibiotics as well as something for the pain. After my 8 hour car ride and 2 hr wait for a doctor, I looked at the back of my mouth and it appears that the side are now inflamed and red. I'm going to continue my antibiotics as required but i'm afraid that my throat may close up at the rate this is going. I haven't tried the sour candy thing because any food i put into my mouth creates pain. At this rate....i'm willing to try anything!
Just thought i'd share my story for now. I'll give you an update in a day or two. TTYL and i feel your pain!!!!

JW :'(
New Member

bry-cyn 1/25/09 8:50 PM

Has anyone that has been diagnosed with a blocked salivary gland had tooth pain and extreme tooth sensitivity? I've been to a Homeopathic Doctor who diagnosed a blocked gland and gave me herbal supplements. After two weeks, with continued jaw and tooth pain/sensitivity, he sent me to an MD, who sent me to a dentist, who said there weren't any issues with my teeth, that would be causing the pain. I went back to the Homeopathic Dr. who again got a reflex for the salivary gland. There is a puffy spot under my lip which has sometimes had a burning sensation. Any advice?? I cannot chew on one side and without taking Ibuprofen I have constant pain.
Guest

Guest 7/3/09 4:09 PM

Nina1987 wrote:

I went to my doctor today and he told me I have a narrow salivary gland. For the past year or so I have been have severe paint underneath my tongue every couple of weeks, the pain last a matter of seconds and is at the back of my mouth underneath my tongue. After the pain goes away I feel like I've got lots of saliva in my mouth. My doctor said he thinks it is a narrow salivary gland which sometimes blocks and that is what causes the pain I told him about.... now this pain I suffer is like nothing I have ever experienced before its like a burning, stinging pain its awful!! All he told me to do was go away and massage my jaw and drink plenty of fluids and until the pain was constant there wasn't much they could do. I am really worried about this because I feel asthough he may have got it all wrong. surely the cause of this severe pain I am experiencing from time to time cannot be so minor???

Hello my name is Abbie (age 12) :wink:
I went to the hospital today as i have a blocked Saliva gland
(Its a large lump in my mouth its like an ulcer that doesn't seem to disapear with creams or medicine)
He says i have to have an operation to remove it which is a total easy and quick operstion he says it only a matter
of 15 minutes then problen sorted.
If you have a lump in which the pain is occuring
Talk to your doctor and say that you think you have a blocked saliva gland if so he will send you to a hospital you have
an operation to remove the lump (under anasthetic of course x ) then years of pain will be over !
Thanks for reading this reply
hope all go's well and pain will hopefuly die away
If not you should to talk to your doctor that you want this problem sorted
if you want to know how my operation went after the 14 th of august of course (thats when i have opp )
just contact me through email
Guest

Guest 8/26/09 8:17 AM

Hi everyone, i have been reading your posts looking for information and i got some good tips. However there is something i would like to know. Both doctors act like its no big deal but the pain and enormous swelling beg the differ. I was told it would go down in 3-5 days and to keep sucking on hard candies. It is day four now and i haven't seen ANY results. I was thinking that it might get bigger and bigger until it disappears. Is this hypothesis correct? I am very intersted in knowing when this hideous thing will disappear, any help is appreciated!
Guest

Guest 10/10/09 4:07 PM

hi all,i 2 have been having problems with calcium stones for years now,mine come back regularly and now im due to have the gland removed completely,has anyone else had this done? and what was it like after? also is there anything that causes problems when this gland is removed.my operation is in 3 wks,even though i know i will have it done 2 stop the pain,im still worried.thanx
Guest

Guest 11/30/09 3:47 PM

Hi , my son is 7 years old and woke up Thanksgiving morning with his whole cheek and lip swollen up real big. No pain or anything, I thought it was a food allergy so I was giving him benadryl till we could get to the doc.. Still swollen today 4 days later, still no pain, we went to the doc. and she thought it was this blocked salvory gland. What doesn't make sense to me was he also had some hives on his jaw on Thanksgiving Day, and she just prescribed antibiotics and said," tell me if he gets hives again" ??? To me it doesn't sound like a blocked salvory gland, she does want me to take him to the dentist to get x-rayed, but again if it was a tooth wouldn't there be pain???
Guest

Guest 12/21/09 11:45 PM

It's been probably 4 or 5 days since I started to experience pain underneath my tongue. At first I didn't notice anything unusual, but tonight I looked very carefully and realized I have a small white bump underneath my tongue. I asked my boyfriend's mom about it since she works in a dentist office and she suggested in might be a clogged salivary gland. It's almost to the point now where I can hardly eat anything especially acidic, salty, and sweet. When I do, I experience a very bothersome, tingly, and irritating sensation under my tongue. I don't have dental insurance and I don't know how to handle it. Any suggestions?
Guest

Guest 1/20/10 12:14 AM

I have had mine since August. I noticed it after I ate some really spicy chicken. It stung like a canker sore. It's on the floor of my mouth, below the tongue on the right side. I also have little raised bumps in a semi-circle around the front of the floor of my mouth. They're always there. I went to the dentist today, and he said it looks like a blocked salivary gland. He said to drink lots of water and take extra vitamin C. He didn't say anything about a stone.
bluerobin626

bluerobin626 8/7/10 10:16 PM

I have had this pain for 3 days now- It started as feeling like a pulled muscle in my tongue- Then it went to SEVERELY hurting when i eat, as i have had Multiple infections for the last year, i started the antibiotics- I have yet to go to the dr, but will as soon as i can get in- Then the pain in my neck started. It has swollen up to golfball size. I can eat stuff that doesnt involve much chewing- like mashed potatoes- but i did notice that this started when i was eating hot cheetoes, and is worse with sweets, and hot things, heat wise, and spice wise. I also have a white "head" underneath my tongue on the Right side, right next to the flap that connects my tongue with my mouth. It is very swollen. I have been sucking on lemon juice (my dad had one, and that was how he got his out) with lots of pain, but no avail. I hope that i can find an easy fix, hopefully a small slit will do. I just wanted to share that i had similar experiences with the kinds of pain, food, and areas as everyone else. Thanks for all the info that made me realize this is what the problem is and not a thyroid issue.
bluerobin626

bluerobin626 8/7/10 10:16 PM

bluerobin626

bluerobin626 8/8/10 9:48 AM

anonymous wrote:

Well- as of this morning- I got it OUT!!! It was a little bitty piece, but OH MAN!!! the pain it caused while in there, and the pain it caused getting it out!! The white "head" was it- it came out of there, and then the saliva started pouring out- still have slight swelling in my neck area, but it has gone down alot- VERY excited that i can eat again!!!!
Reply as guest Start new topic
Saving