Marajuana really can destroy your life

New Member

MVP 10/12/07 10:11 AM

Hi. I am 26 years old and have been smoking weed for about 10 years now. I took almost 2 years off, but I basically smoke everyday if I have some. I have been married for almost 5 years and I have 2 children – a 4 month old boy and a 4 year old daughter. I have a very beautiful family and I want to stay with them forever. I have a good entry-level career (Microsoft Marketing) and we have a nice little house and nice cars, and lots of nice stuff. I guess you could say, on the surface, my life is as close to “perfect” as it gets.

My wife does not smoke pot (she never has) and she does not want me to smoke either. I smoked when we met, but after I quit (for 2 years) she admitted that it bothered her. I now smoke about 1 or 2 bowls per day from the pipe, at least 6 days a week, all without her knowledge. Actually, I’m sure she knows I smoke occassionally, but I don’t come forward and say “yeah, I smoke everyday at lunch and on my way home” or whatever. I can definitely say that smoking has affected me (and others close to me) in a negative way.

I have been bouncing from job to job over the last 4 years, very unsure of what I really want to do with my life. They have been good jobs that challenge me and pay well, but I haven’t really found my passion yet. I get headaches daily and have to take at least 3 to 4 Excedrin every day. My sinus passages are all screwed up and I have to use a nasal spray every day just to breathe normally (which I dilute with saline solution, to prevent any hardcore damage). I have trouble focusing and usually (unintentionally) tune out whoever is talking to me (wife, boss, daughter, friends, etc), and I usually forget the little details that make ALL the difference. I wake up late almost every morning and have to speed my ass off to get to work, and I get really stressed and can feel my heart racing. I usually show up at least 5 to 10 minutes late every day, which has caused my boss to pull me into a room and rip me apart. I have lost any muscle mass that I used to have and now I’m a 6’2” skinny, weak guy with a nice spare tire. I have chicken legs and puny arms, but my waistline is steadily growing from all the midnight munchies. I was hooked on energy drinks for a period of time (to combat the drowsiness that pot causes), but stopped drinking them after my heart began to “flutter” as I was trying to go to sleep each night. I used to be an honors student (even more advanced than honors for some subjects) before I started smoking. I did make the Dean’s List in college during the time I wasn’t smoking. I used to be a hardcore skateboarder, and my only addiction was skating. I gradually stopped skating when I started smoking pot.

I absolutely fell in love with the herb and I still love it just as much. It makes me feel good. It makes me less stressed out. It makes me get more accomplished when I’m high. I’m really lazy and unmotivated when I’m sober. That’s how I know I’m addicted. I've tried several times to go a week or 2 without it and I kept getting HORRIBLE mood swings and really bad headaches. I was just a mess. Then I got more pot and everything seemed fine again. I got high and began to think about my mood swings and was like “wow, I was acting like a complete fool when I didn’t have weed”. It was a scary revelation. I know I need to quit.

Every time I buy a sack, I tell myself it will be my last one. I have even thrown multiple glass pipes and full bags of hydro and shwag (sp?) out the window on the freeway, thinking I was going to give it up for good. But what happens? I make the phone call or text message a friend, I go to the head shop and buy a new piece (usually cheap $10 glass pipes), and I get a dime or maybe a quarter of herb. I’ll splurge for some good dro if I have a reason to celebrate. I’m very conservative with my herb and can make a quarter sack (7 to 8 grams) easily last 3 to 4 weeks, so I only smoke about 2 grams per week, which really isn’t much, but still more than 90% of the U.S. population.

The hardest thing about this situation is that some of my BEST friends smoke (I’ve known these guys since I was a child) and I usually get them to hook me up. And my 21 year old brother-in-law smokes and has a VERY consistent dealer. I got him high for the first time about a year ago, and now he smokes MASSIVE amounts of herb every day and his life is falling apart. I feel very guilty. I never knew that he would get so addicted. I thought I was doing him a favor because his girlfriend of 4 years cheated on him and he was really angry and depressed. He was drinking A LOT and I wanted to expose him to something less harmful that could help him deal with his pain. I thought maybe he would smoke every once in a while, but I never wanted him to become dependent on the herb. Now he is drinking heavily, smoking heavily, abusing Xanax, and even snorting coke occasionally. I feel like this is all my fault.

As you can see, pot really does destroys lives. It prevents people from realizing their full potential and causes numerous health and emotional problems. It changes the way people think. It’s just not worth it. I’m struggling every day. I want to quit, but I love herb so much and I just don’t know how to successfully quit. I don’t have the self-discipline to stop myself from picking up the phone and placing another order. Please pray for me. Any advice would be much appreciated!
See the best voted reply
Guest

Guest 10/13/07 10:29 PM

Most people can't quit drugs by going cold turkey be it coffee or cannabis, you can try reducing the ammount you smoke every week graduly using less an less untill you stop. Then theres the method of going to a doctors an getting a cannabis supplement to replace the THC you get from cannabis.

Im 23 an ive smoke cannabis for last 10 years since i was 13, the only problem ive found is it just makes you lazy, ive worked as a electrician for last 6 years fine. I grow my own marijuana about 3 plants evey 4 months for personal use, an i normaly smoke 1 ounce an month at 1 gram aday.

Now if i want an also have done, i can stop at will and not smoke for months on end. I dont smoke cigarettes an i only use them for making joints.

To start off maybe have a joint as soon as you get in from work, idk get a hobby or spend time with your kids (someting to up your mood) an as the night is ending have a spliff to finish off the hard day,

For me cannabis is all around me, my mum/step dad/grandad use to smoke it, my nan/aunte/best friend/cousin and girlfriend still smoke it.

id sugest you

1, make that 1/4 last you 4 weeks, then 6 weeks then 8 weeks n so on
2, smoke skip 1 day, smoke skip 2 days, smoke skip 3 days an so on
3, go see a doctor an get a prescription, THC is available in capsule form as the prescription drug dronabinol (goes under the market name of Marinol)
New Member

Jim777 5/17/10 8:08 AM

Smoking Weed is a lifestyle in and of itself. You know this is true. The Friends you make and the world you open yourself up to when you smoke weed is a different world than the one everyone else lives in and you'll feel lucky for awhile that you are a part of this sometimes awesome world filled with unique people and their colorful personalities. The problem is however, that unless your RICH or have some form of residual income that requires no daily effort on your part then you can't really be a player in this world. Many business owners are drug addicts. They use their business to provide then with the income needed to live the lifestyle. They hire a manager to operate the business in their absence and they begin to indulge themselves into the world of drugs and pleasure.

A big part of the American Dream is to be able to earn money without getting up to go to work each day and live the playboy party lifestyle 24/7. Almost every movie or TV show glorifies this lifestyle.

Many people do not realize that Marijuana has a very powerful residual effect that builds up in your system. After only 1-2 months of casual smoking a few times each day you will have a massive amount of THC in your system and you will feel different almost all the time. As soon as you stop smoking even for a few hours, your body will FEEL different and you'll have the desire to smoke more to get yourself back to normal again... This is the point where you are hooked and from there it only gets worse. If you continue to smoke then you will honestly feel depressed when you don't have it, you will have nightmares and bizarre mood swings but the more you smoke the worse this situation will get until you'll finally need to take a toke almost every hour to maintain your steady, normal level of behavior.

If you are like most people and actually WORK at a JOB for your money then you are going to find it very difficult to live the party lifestyle.
Guest

Guest 7/12/10 11:38 AM

weed destroyed everything i ever wanted, got me away from my fiance and made my life miserable.

i tried it a couple times and i told my boyfriend that i did so and he broke up with me bacause it was too hard on him. i dont eat i dont sleep and cried ever since because we had been together for 4 years and it just hurts so much that i lost the man i love for trying on weed =(
Guest

Guest 7/13/10 9:55 PM

MVP wrote:

I have been bouncing from job to job over the last 4 years, very unsure of what I really want to do with my life. They have been good jobs that challenge me and pay well, but I haven’t really found my passion yet. I get headaches daily and have to take at least 3 to 4 Excedrin every day. My sinus passages are all s*****d up and I have to use a nasal spray every day just to breathe normally (which I dilute with saline solution, to prevent any hardcore damage). I have trouble focusing and usually (unintentionally) tune out whoever is talking to me (wife, boss, daughter, friends, etc), and I usually forget the little details that make ALL the difference. I wake up late almost every morning and have to speed my ass off to get to work, and I get really stressed and can feel my heart racing. I usually show up at least 5 to 10 minutes late every day, which has caused my boss to pull me into a room and rip me apart. I have lost any muscle mass that I used to have and now I’m a 6’2” skinny, weak guy with a nice spare tire. I have chicken legs and puny arms, but my waistline is steadily growing from all the midnight munchies. I was hooked on energy drinks for a period of time (to combat the drowsiness that pot causes), but stopped drinking them after my heart began to “flutter” as I was trying to go to sleep each night. I used to be an honors student (even more advanced than honors for some subjects) before I started smoking. I did make the Dean’s List in college during the time I wasn’t smoking. I used to be a hardcore skateboarder, and my only addiction was skating. I gradually stopped skating when I started smoking pot.

...hey buddy, if you can make a quad of kill last 3 to 4 weeks, and only smoke about 2 grams every week, you really should NOT have ANY problem quitting at all. I'll be lucky if a quad lasts me a 5-day work week, and I'm not even complaining! Many people take cannabis too seriously, remember, you're the one that is in control of you. if you really want something to change for good reason, then you will change it, no questions asked. i myself smoke quite a bit and going through a gram of kill (if not more) a day isn't anything new to me. I have quit for 3 to four months at a time, cold turkey, just because i felt i should at the time to clear my mind. i don't deny that i have a psychological addiction, but it's just that, psychological.

...oh and to the person that lost their fiance of four years due to trying marijuana... your fiance sounds a little bit ridiculous....
Guest

Guest 12/28/10 11:22 PM

ummmmmm no. its not addictive and does not ruin lives to people who can control themselves.
id**t.
fatpanda

fatpanda 2/11/11 3:00 PM

MVP wrote:

He was drinking A LOT and I wanted to expose him to something less harmful that could help him deal with his pain. I thought maybe he would smoke every once in a while, but I never wanted him to become dependent on the herb. Now he is drinking heavily, smoking heavily, abusing Xanax, and even snorting coke occasionally. I feel like this is all my fault.

Yep, you're right weed is really a drug that can destroy life, or at least change the path of the life that you would normally have taken.
I'm really sure that your wife know that you're smoking because the smell of the weed get stuck on you and for someone who doesn't smoke you should smell a lot. (don't worry for this, this is exactly the same thing for the cigarette smell).

To quit smoking is not that hard, you prove it to yourself, I don't understand why you start smoking again after not smoking for 2 years.
I will never pray (I don't believe in any religion) for someone who use drugs but I can
give you advices and it's up to you to do what you want iwth it.

- Get rid of the phone number of you dealer(s)
- Stop seeing people who use drugs (friends)
- Get some distance from your brother for a week or two to give your body the time
to forget the addictive smell of weed. (I mean, I'm sure that you find that it smell good, dont' you?) If yes,
It's because your brain like that drug. Within a week or two your brain will interpret that smell differently.
- Your life doesn't depend on your friends so if they keep calling you don't be shy to tell them that unless they
Stop smoking you don't want to see them anymore (EVEN IF IT'S NOT TRUE")

- If you feel that life will be boring if you stop smoking, just remember that this is only the
drug side effect. (it usually disappear after one week) after that It should be only a hobbit to fight.

- If you really like your daughter, quit smoking and take the money you use to buy your drugs and pay her
some sports lessons (Skiing, gymnastic, ballet etc...)

For your brother if he use coke, try to give his dealer to the police. Before he get more addict and to prevent
that fuc***g ass*** (the dealer) to spread that **** into the society.

Imagine your girl in 10 year from now usig that drug. Is it really what you want?
Guest

Guest 2/16/11 7:28 AM

Woah you don't smoke that much .Where i live a tinny is 1.2 grams and many people I know smoke about 2 of those in a single session. but yes do give it up .Don't lose your family over it .
Guest

Guest 4/7/11 6:16 PM

to the person who lost their fiance... if they dump you for something stupid like that then they didn't love you anyway and you could do better!
guest

guest 10/18/11 2:50 AM

If marijuana destroyed your life you are one of the most weak minded individuals in the world. The effects of marijuana are so minor that they should have no impact on your life besides legality. Marijuana is not messing up your life, you are, you're just blaming marijuana for your failure so that you don't have to take credit for it. For the rest of your life you can say "I could have been successful, but then I started smoking weed every day", it's a crutch. If people weren't so weak minded maybe they'd find a better scapegoat than a plant for their life's failures.
Bill

Bill 10/24/11 3:03 PM

The last one who posted is addicted to the herb but didn´t noticed it yet. This plant has the power to take control of our thoughts.
New Hope

tas2 12/17/11 7:10 AM

this thread is fuelled by drama and misinformation. While I don;t smoke myself, I know many who do, regularly. It's a way of life for many people where I live and those people are successful, holding down responsible jobs and having good family relationships. That smoking pot takes over your life is nonsense and I agree with the guest poster who says it's a poor excuse for doing nothing. I live close to the Dutch border and in Holland pot is legal and so there's not this drama around it and people can just buy it and smoke it in coffee shops etc and nobody bats an eyelid. In fact it even has certain health benefits as far as I am aware. If you enjoy it, just enjoy it!
Anonymous

Anonymous 6/1/12 2:55 AM

Dear MVP.

I'm 21 years old and have been smoking pot for the past 4 years. In those 4 years, occasionally and mostly daily. The longest I've gone without it about 2 months. I notice that we're in a similar otherwise identical hole.

My love for the drug has caused me waste my education away. Instead, it gave me a users's way of life and it has since then taken it's toll for the worst. Being and staying high was reality. Reality as non-users know it was just time flying by.

I have had really bad trips, some where I was considering calling the medics for help. Those trips make me swear to never abuse the drug ever again. Those words always fade away into history. The procrastination have too evolved into my sober lifestyle.

My love for the drug has always been superior. Even if I plan to quit, I'll also be planning to continue the habit at a later time.

I'm now in the journey of being free of the grasp I have to and from the drug again. Will power is what it takes. Knowing that I am better than what it can give me.

Before my current journey to freedom, I have made a self-confessional video for myself at my lows while in the influence. It never fails to remind me of the emotional reasons of my journey to sobriety. Maybe you should do the same.

To my knowledge, everything about cannabis is beautiful. Everything including the bad trip experiences. But my future and goals are unmatched. After all, I do not need the drug.

The fact is, abusing anything is generally bad. What more abusing it.

I hope this helps.

P.S. My decision to quit is personal. It doesn't require others to do the same if not desired.
Guest

Guest 7/13/12 1:46 AM

I'm 26 and tried pot about 3 times in a two month period. The last time I smoked it I was with my boyfriend. At first I was relaxed and could see how someone could get used to the feeling of being high on pot. Then things to a turn for the worst. I couldn't move and my mind went blank. Suddenly I snapped out of it and had a strange sensation that I had an intense spiritual connection with my boyfriend. I felt like I finally found my soul mate. I then had an intense mood swing came over me and became very depressed. The spiritual connection that I once had with my boyfriend vanished and I believed that my boyfriend was trying to harm me. As the problem became worse I barricaded myself in my bedroom and called everyone I could to help me. I went to hospital after hospital to be told that I just have general anxiety or fatigue and just needed to get some sleep. Over a period of 10 days I went without sleep I missed day after day of work. Finally I was admitted into the hospital where I convinced myself that I was Jesus and the Anti Christ. I finally was treated after being in the hospitol for 10 days for having Bipolar schizo effective disorder that was brought on by pot. If people don't believe that this drug can destroy lives then they can take my word for it that it can. I lost my dream job, my boyfriend and scared the sh*t out of my family.
Guest

Guest 7/13/12 10:37 PM

Everybody... Go to Netherlands and smoke strong weed for a long time everyday. You gonna see how this drug can destroy a life. Do you like your mind? Do you like your life? Do you wanna be yourself? So, stay away.

Reply as guest Start new topic
Saving