Pregnancy or Perimenopause? Husband has vasectomy....

Guest

Guest 3/22/06 3:02 PM

In February I had a period of sorts that lasted 12 days and began 1 week early. I have always been regular as clockwork. Now I am 12 days overdue for my March period (calculated by when my period should have started in February normally) My husband has had a vasectomy for 15 years. I am 45 years old. My nipples are a little sore, also the sides of my breasts. I am having to pee a lot and having little tingling sensations in my lower abdomen. This morning when I got up I felt a little light headed and during the day, off and on I feel a bit sick to my stomach. It seems like food smells are also stronger. I took a clear blue easy test 2 days ago and it said negative. I am scheduled to see my doctor in a few weeks. Is pregnancy at this stage of the game and under these circumstances even a possibility?
See the best voted reply
Celebrity

simone 3/26/06 12:17 PM

Considering your husband had vasectomy and that you already started experiencing period irregularities, I would contribute all your other symptoms to hormonal fluctuations and perimenopause.

Fluctuation of hormonal levels, especially estrogen can lead to all sorts of weird symptoms, most of them we would love to avoid. Periods may become irregular, heavies, lighter, shorter, longer, missed, etc. Genital area gets dry due to low levels of estrogen and makes us more open to infections, especially urinary tract infections that you may be experiencing at the moment. Some women become unable to hold urine longer and others experience leakage during exercise, or coughing or running. So, these kind of symptoms you could also attribute to perimenopause.

Estrogen can also make your breast sore, usually it is excessive estrogen (I usually have it in PMS or during ovulation) but I reckon that fluctuation could do that too (I am not expert though).
You could wait for another couple of days and have another pregnancy test. If it turns negative, I reckon it is the hormones.
New Member

kauters 10/20/06 10:43 AM

I just had a miscarraige last week. My husband was 17 years post-vascetomy. He's certain that he was tested and got the all-clear. To top it off, I was taking Yasmin birth control pills to regulate my periods (I've had trouble all my life with 18 day periods etc.). My husband thinks that the doctor is wrong, but I took the expelled tissue mass to the doctor and they sent it to a lab for confirmation. I guess we'll get another opinion next week when he returns to the urologist for another sperm count.
New Member

Charlotte in Charlotte, N 11/1/06 6:15 AM

Thanks for the information on this page. My husband has also had a vasectomy this year. I'm 42 and am experiencing very similar feelings re: menstration irregularities re: length, heaviness (after being like clock work until this year). This month I have no period for the first time ever. I feel very swollen in the abdomen & breasts. For 2 days I felt "sea sick" and all year am always feeling warm usually at night. I would not say "Sweats..because I'm not heavily sweating". I know I'm not pregnant. I read alot of the replies and found them very helpful and informative.
New Member

birdmiss 11/20/06 11:08 PM

I am almost in the same boat as all of you. My boyfriend had a vasectomy almost 2 years ago and I have just discovered I am pregnant (3 home test , a late period, and waiting for a doctors appointment) I 'm almost positive I'm pregnant. Now my only problem is convinving him that I have been completely faithful to him and that it is possible for us to get pregnant. I am a firm believer that it is possible because I am the product of a pregnancy after a tubal ligation so this kind pof stuff does happen. I have done research and it says that the chances are sooooooooo small.Could he be that 1 in 2000?
Guest

Guest 9/16/07 4:47 PM

I feel you. Mine had a vasectomy 17 years ago, I'm 40. I am 3 weeks late, 3 negative tests, feeling sick but no breat tenderness. Could I be pregnent??? I will wait 1 more week then go to the doc. If I am He wont believe its his 17 years post vasectomy.
Guest

Guest 12/4/07 1:06 PM

I know what most of you are going through. My husband just had a vasectomy 2 months ago and now we think we are pregnant, again. And I have been on the new pill YAZ, wish now that I had stayed on Yasmin. I have been sick and throwing up, food is not my friend, I can't stop peeing and on top of it all, we just had a baby 3 months ago!!! We have three children and wanted 4 but pregnancy is just to hard on me. I was in the hospital until I delivered our son, from 9 weeks on. So this is really scary for us right now.
New Member

Fletchy 6/12/08 12:52 PM

My bf is 4 yrs post vasectomy. I've had really sore nipples and 2 days ago I started spotting pinkish blood. Could i be pregnant? We have been using no protection....HELP!?
Guest

Guest 8/16/08 10:38 PM

I am freaking out myself! I have 4 kids already. My last one was born 3 months ago. My husband had a vasectomy in February but never went back for his recheck, which I am not happy about. Well I havent gotten my period yet and its been 35 days since the last one. I so dont want another baby..... what are the chances of pregnancy 6 months later after a vasectomy?
New Member

candia 9/12/08 2:35 PM

my husband had a vasectomy 3 months after the birth of our daughter, that was three years ago, I just turned 32 and I was wondering how soon can someone have that perimenopause? I am three weeks overdue for my period, I had tender nipples and I have been discharging alot as well? I personally kind of liked the idea of being pregnant again, but my husband on the other hand is worried sick, I have tried to convince him that I haven't been unfaithful. I have two children, son and daughter, our daughter is the fifth child for him...
Guest

Guest 10/14/08 1:28 PM

I am almost 2 months late, and am afraid to get a preg test..I am too old to have a little one. husband had a vesectomy 10 yr ago, so i am thinking i am going through the change...hang on......................tight. i hear it is a roller coaster ride...mimi]
Guest

Guest 2/19/09 2:17 PM

Husband is 9 yrs post vasectomy, my period is 3 wks late, i cant stop running to the loo for a pee and ive noticed some very light pink blood on the paper when i wipe! Im 40 and very worried now that something is seriously wrong. Help
Guest

Guest 4/13/09 6:53 PM

Hi everyone
I have been reading all sorts of information and see thats basically theres a few common reasons
1. yes although its very rare it is possible even after many years for the mans tube to rejoin itself thus causen pregnancy, so for those ladies who know 100% they have only slept with there man well if you hav the baby you can have it DNA tested to proove it
2. I have noticed alot of women are talking about perimenopause being the number 1 cause of a missed period accompanied by pregnancy symptoms and the sad fact is these symptoms can go on for many years and start as early as 30s or later mostly 40s
3. is that this could be any type of gyneacological disorder from a very minor infection to a cancer/tumour

Basically best advice is, if you feel the need go buy your home tests but please if you want the answers goto your gp and get the correct answers instead of assuming and freaking out.
If any are wondering I am 43 and have been regular, every 26 to 28 days spot on, my hubby had a vasectomy 6 yrs ago and for the first time ever I am 5 days late, I am seeing wen I can get an appoinment at my gp as soon as possible, my concern is that it took 7 years of trying for me to concieve my 2nd child and I now worry my hubby was never really safe its just I have fertility problems
Anyway thank you to all who had advice and hope to those looking for answers you have seen a doctor by now
good luck all
Guest

Guest 4/29/09 6:44 PM

I'm going through this not sure if I'm in perimenopause or if I'm pregnant. My husband had a vasectomy last May and in June he had a semen analysis that came back zero. I haven't had normal AF since I had my daughter 07/07. I also had my son 06/05. I stopped breastfeeding around 5/08. I'm 34.

Last month I took Provera to try and "clean me out" since I was having uber long periods(14+ days) for the last 6 months. I had a much more normal period of 8 days after the Provera. My periods have been consistent in timing and heavy bleeding right around 30 days apart. I've had horrible PMS and acne. This month is all whacked out. I had spotting early in my cycle for 2 days. Nothing more than a pantyliner needed. Then 2 days of spotting right when I was expecting AF and didn't need anything more than a pantyliner. I had a little cramping like normal and thought I was going to start, but then it stopped next day and I have had nothing since. I'm day 40 of my cycle if I count the way the Doctor told me, which is to skip the spotting before and start from my first normal day.

I've been really nauseated, but been passing it off as my ears. I've had fluid in my ears since I got sick with a cold a couple weeks ago. I realized my ears are getting better and the nausea worse.

My husband thinks I'm completely crazy. He doesn't think there is any way possible that I could be pregnant and has sort of laughed at me wanting to take an HPT. I'm sure he is right. I'm also pretty sure the doctor is going to have me take one anyhow. I'd rather get that news at home so I can get my cussing done it private if I am pregnant. LOL.

DH acts like I should be happy I don't have AF. There's all this stress that comes with it. I know that if I am pregnant, he will accuse me of cheating. He says he won't, but I know him. He once told me I was trying to make him crazy by hiding his keys and not telling him where they were. 4 hours later he found them lying in the front yard. If I'm not pregnant what the heck is going on with me?

BTW, my mom didn't start perimenopause until her mid 40's and she still has it at 58. She's had a horrible time with it. They did check my thyroid, pap and did an us before the Provera and all was normal. No hormone tests yet.
New Member

craftycandlelady 4/29/09 6:47 PM

My husband thinks I'm completely crazy. He doesn't think there is any way possible that I could be pregnant and has sort of laughed at me wanting to take an HPT. I'm sure he is right. I'm also pretty sure the doctor is going to have me take one anyhow. I'd rather get that news at home so I can have whatever emotions I will have at home. LOL.

Reply as guest Start new topic
Saving