partial vaginal hysterectomy with an anterior and posterior

New Member

jastami04 1/24/07 12:52 PM

On January 16th, I got a vaginal hysterectomy (kept my ovaries) and and anterior and posterior repair. I also got a bladder sling and couldn't urinate when I was in the hospital (which I also had a reaction to my pain medicine Dilaudid and stopped breathing. A code was called on me. I went home with a catheter and had it removed exactly a week after my surgery, but I couldn't urinated still and that night I ended up going to the emergency room to get another catheter put in. Has anyone had a problem with urinating that went away after the swelling? I talked to a urologist office that said that either my sling could be too tight and I might would have to go back in and get it replaced, or with having so much done at once, I may just be too swollen. I am concerned about having the catheter in too long and having a problem urinating after getting it taken out. If anyone could share some good stories with me, that would be much appreciated. I think it just depresses me to only see the terrible stories.
gprix58

gprix58 2/1/07 12:36 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your problem urinating. I myself had posterior, anterior repair and My uterus taken out vaginaly. I have been with the foley catheter for four weeks now. I am not emtying out but at first couldn't go at all. It is getting better though. My Dr. said the longest he has had a patient have the catheter in was 45 days. I told them I did'nt want to meet that record.
He said I have alot of stiches and swelling and that it will get better when the stitches disolve and swelling goes down. I believe him because it is improveing. It seems like forever I know. Good luck With yours
I think we need a support group for women like us.

Much Luck
Guest

Guest 2/18/07 2:36 AM

I had a vaginal hysterectomy, Cystocele and Rectocele repair done on jan5 and I had a catheter for 4 and a half weeks. It was because of swelling and stitches that had to desolve. I know it seems forever that you have the catheter but your bladder will work even after you have had a catheter for as long as I did. As the stitches desolve, you urinate better and better. Sitz baths three times a day and something called Epifoam helped me alot. I found an article that is reputible that says the bladder shoud return to full function in six weeks and mine did.

Don't Worry
Guest

Guest 4/26/08 9:54 PM

i also had a partial hysterectomy with repairs and had trouble urinating afterwards, i found that leaning back against the toilet seat cover while trying helped to relieve the strain on the swollen areas and made it easier to go. i hope this helps
New Member

grandma6 7/8/08 9:26 PM

I had a vaginal hysterectomy, retrocele and cystocele repair done on June 6th and I'm in my 5th week post op. Should I still feel pain in the vagina? I'm on antibiiotics for a second time, possible UTI, and went to the doctor yesterday and he said everything looked good. However, the pain persist and is worse by the end of the day... Does this feeling continue and for how long?
Guest

Guest 9/9/08 12:55 PM

I had an a/p repair 10 days ago.
Here's what happened:
Day 1 - surgery, didn't feel too much as had Morphine drip for pain.
Day 2 - Doctor visited and removed gauze packing from my vagina.
Day 3 - Doctor released me from Hospital with Vicodine for pain. Instructed me not to drive for at least 2 weeks and that I should go back for a 2 week check up. Also told me not to take ANY baths, showers only.
Had first bowel movement - in fact had diarrahea, probably from painkillers and anesthetic. Experienced some vaginal bleeding
Day 4 - Worst Day as I had a lot of gas in my stomach
Day 5 - Felt Great - Incision looks totally healed - no vaginal bleeding, however lots of clear discharge. Did note that stitches just inside of the vagina have not yet dissolved.
Day 6 - Took a Walk - however don't overdo it, I did and had to get my husband to walk back home and bring car to pick me up.
Day 7 - Felt great back to normal - still some discharge although lessening by the day.

I took 1000 mg of Vitamin C for a week prior to surgery and also I'm still taking it.
Guest

Guest 3/28/10 5:56 PM

Hi im due to have an anterior repair, vaginal hystrectomy and uretha repair on the 26th April.
Im not having much trouble urinating really but my uterus comes out of vagina when i go to the toilet. I have to push it all back in before i can stand but its not painfull just a nuisance really.
Do you think i will benefit from the surgery? my gynae tells me i have no quality of life at the moment. i have done some research and most women seem worse off after the surgery.
I have never had anything done before just been in to have my children 10lb 2, 10lb 4, 10lb 9 and 11lb 2 all delivered naturally so you can imagine the state of the prolapse, but im absolutley petrified.
I am petrified of beind put out, what if they think im asleep but i can feel everything and what if i wake up during it? I probably sound really stupid to everyone i know but i have a friend who woke up during an op for her kidneys and she has been petrified of docs, hospitals ever since.
They told her it happens to 1 in 1000 ppl what if im that one.
Then theres the pain when i wake up, im scared of the pain. I went through sheer agony having a cathater put in when i had my urodynamics test and to have one for 4weeks would be unbearable.
I have been told it has to be done i have no choice as my cervix is at the vaginal opening now and its only a matter of time before it all comes out.
I guess what im looking for is some reassurance and advice, i have 4 children all under 6yrs and not being ablr to pick them up will be torture in itself.

any advice or support would be hugely appreciated.
Thanks
☽◯☾ Ꮗḯᴄᴄἀ

â½â¯â¾ áḯá´á´á¼ 4/24/10 9:42 PM

HI!
I just had a Vaginal Hysterectomy On Monday (April 19th) w/ bladder and rectal repairs.
i suffered for months w/very similar pains to yours my dear. My Uterus had ripped away from the wall as it was prolapsed and threatening to pop out practically any time I laughed or sneezed. anytime i LEFT THE HOUSE i HAD TO KNOW exactly WHERE THE ALL THE WASHROOMs WERE... (Believe me there is NO fun in that, and yes it really is an issue of QUALITY of life)

There were minor complications w/my surgery, I am a bleeder and Anemic, was bleeding heavily when they brought in a 3rd surgeon to help get it under control. So my surgery took an extra 45 min or so. For me that was better than expected so don't let it worry you.

My Anesthetist gave me a valium as soon as I was admitted into the Surgical unit, as the IV was set up, he gave me another relaxant and tinkered with it until i was comfortable. (I also suffer from panic/anxiety and one of my fears is to be put under) I have lil flashes of being wheeled into the OR and being put under, i was out like a light, my next vague memory was being tubed because i was having some panic after coming to in Recovery, but when I woke up in my room after all of that i was sedated for the 1st few hours and had wicked nausea (and still do some 5 days later, again perfectly normal for me)

Day 1 & 2 I had PCA (patient controlled Analgesic) The button for my Morphine was my new BFF!!! I went thru 100 mg in those two days, (w/each button press I was receiving 1 mg Morphine every 3 min) My partner told me I'd wake up and tell him how glad I was to see him hit the button and go back to sleep) He loved me enough to tolerate this for the entire 1st night. At one point i pinched him, because I was so medded up i wasn't sure if I was awake or dreaming.
I was also on a clear fluid diet, to help w/the gas pains and to delay a potential bowel movement.

Day 3 I was relieved of my champagne purse (catheter and bag) and had a lil difficulty urinating on my own. I found it was best for me to hit my morphine button just as I sat down on the toilet and within a few minutes i was able to try to pee without much difficulty, The only suggestion i have is to give yourself enough time to go... It's a lil like after childbirth a lil tender/numb and what you feel and what is happening down there don't always match up. One of the 1st time I thought i was done, well I wasn't... and it's very messy so do not rush... trust me on this ... ;-)
They'll encourage you to stand and walk back and forth to the washroom BEFORE they'll ask you to wander around the unit. Best of all in the Hospital I was in they have walkers w/IV poles to give you a degree of balance. That really helped me as my balance was wayyy off...
1st crack at solid foods, eat whatever works best for you, don't feel that you cannot leave anything on your plate. I ate 4 times a day, breakfast was about 8am, lunch @ noon, supper @ 4:30 and snack started after visiting hours ended 8:30~900pm. eating smaller portions more regularly helps to regulate your BMs and helps your body to heal faster.

Day 4
I was taken off of my IV and PCA and was given pain medication as needed. I was eating more and able to get around very well on my own w/out assistance, (which was surprising for me) I had the mindset i'd be in soo much more pain. But NOT having the pressure and pain and embarrassment of the prolapse is such a relief to me. I was now n less pain that I had been in prior to the surgery! And that alone is worthy of having the surgery!!!
Again Nausea was an issue but it varies from person to person.
Gas pain: if they suggest a suppository take it just before you goto sleep ( i know it sounds strange, but i was so self conscious about passing gas and odds are if you share a room, you are ALL in the same boat)

Day 5 (yesterday)
I was discharged from the hospital. I am still highly medicated (as you may have noticed I babble endlessly when I am stoned) 8D
Spent most of the day on the couch, walk around the house and the yard. I had wanted to go out n do stuff like coffee w/the girls or some shopping or a movie or something (Pain medication had me feeling like superwoman I could do anything, thankfully that feeling passes soon enough) lol
again i'd say take your time around the house, my children are 16 & 8, and have been on their best behaviour since Monday (i'm just waiting for them to snap out of it... ha ha ha
My partner and I don't live together but he does as well as other friends check on me by phone and in person.
i'd recommend that you have someone stay with you the 1st day and night when you come home. Just to have someone to talk to about how you may be feeling (btw i feel fantabulous today a hint of nausea but otherwise fine) pick a friend who gives a wonderful massage, another who knows exactly how you like your tea/coffee. Pick a friend who can make you smile (just be careful w/the ones who can make you laugh.... It STILL hurts to laugh)

Day 6 (today)
I haven't had a moment to myself, even as I type there's my gf in the other room watching Avatar w/my daughter. (Motion sickness + Avatar + not even going to go there) Think of your WORST hangover ever... multiply it several times.... lol
Appetite is light, mostly because i'm waiting for my next BM and still a lil leary of the pain just like after childbirth...

Other lil thoughts. I preferred having the Heparin shots in my leg (not my stomach) It helps to lessen the odds of blood clots.
WHICH yo still need to be weary of at home for upto 4 ~ 6 weeks post op. SO try to move around a lil each hour, be weary of stairs, take as much time as you feel you need.
Don't feel you need to be supermom. the ONLY person you need to be worried about is YOU. I'm lucky i guess that my beloved BrAtZ are a lil older. Though my daughter is clingy as can be. It's hard not being able to play w/her. or go for ice cream or a slurpee or even to the park just across our backlane.
Keep a cell phone w/you if you do go out, or TRY to not go out alone. I know it's not always possible, but just to be safe make sure the oldest kids know how to call 911. Better to be safe than sorry...
White Grape Juice works well for me, I'm avoiding all sodas for now and I don't drink a lot of coffee myself.
Drink as much fluid as yo can tolerate ( i still can't do th 6~8 glasses of water, 2~4 of both milk and juice )
Don't panic IF you pee blood UNLESS it is mostly bloody. There may be some tissue as well. This is normal.
rest/sleep as you see fit,your body needs as much down time as it can get, you'll find while in hospital you MAY sleep very well day or night, but when you get home not quite so much (personally i think it's beacuse i'm laying down scoping the mess that my house is and wanting to clean like a mad woman) but hey, that's just me.
Being a mom it was weird having all my needs tended to while in hospital and the reality of home sets in right quickly. SO i'd urge you if possible to create a support network for when you do come home.
BUY BABY WIPES!!! They are made for sensitive skin,care down there is very important to prevent infection.
Change your pads every few hours, just as you would change your baby, whatever YOUR comfort level is.
It's important that you feel good about yourself and NOT so much worrying about those around you.
(I'm kicking myself for not having done that earlier) :s
Lastly Life is much too short to waste on being uncomfortable and in any degree of pain or discomfort.
In one week potentially you could have such a better quality of life.

Take care of you my dear,
and all the rest will fall into pace as it should be.

<3 HUGS <3
Michelle
Guest

Guest 4/26/10 10:08 PM

Hi Michelle,

I just read your info about your operation and I found it very helpful and informative. I totally agree with you. I had my Vaginal Hysterectomy + A and P repairs 21/4/2010 and back from Hospital 25/4/2010.

Thanks so much! :-)

Kind regards,

Ilona
Guest

Guest 6/29/10 5:15 PM

I had a TVH, with A&P repairs to fix vaginal vault relaxation, cystocele, rectocele, and enterocele. Basically, everything was 3rd degree and on it's way outside my body. I'm only 32, but had hard deliveries with each of my 3 children. I had my surgery on 6/16/10, and everything went fine. I was on a PCA for 24 hours, dilaudid was the drug of choice. After that, I was given percocet and toradol IV. The percocet did nothing but make me sleepy. The toradol helped a lot. I was also on clear liquid diet for a day, only had two bouts of nausea. The catheter came out on the second day, and I couldn't pee for anything. I drank and I walked, but nothing would come. They straight cathed me and got back 1150 cc of urine. I drank and walked some more, still couldn't go. The second time they cathed me and got back 800cc. So the catheter goes back in and we tried again the next day. Same scenario, no urine. By that Friday, I was sent home with the catheter. Every other day I went back to the dr, had the catheter removed, walked, drank, no pee, catheter back in and go home. I have done this ever since. The catheter now has to stay in until this Friday, and I'm hoping I can go. The bad thing about being cathed all those times is the UTI you get from it. My pain in under control, I'm just sick of the catheter. The dr did an exam and said I have a hematoma in my urethra from bleeding between the stitches. He says it will go down with the swelling, as there are alot of stitches and swelling with this type of surgery. My advice to anyone is to not act like superwoman when you have a good day. Still adhere to your dr's advice (bed rest) and let your body heal from the inside out. This is the hardest thing for me, because when I feel ok, I want to do things.
almost60

almost60 11/9/10 5:43 PM

Just had a vaginal hysterectomy with anterior repair for a cystocoele (uterus falling out!). In hospital Wednesday, out Friday, and cooking for the family by Sunday (but not lifting anything). Don't hesitate - get it done! For 30 years, mine bulged uncomfortably all the time, and I had to push it back in after any exercise. Though I didn't leak urine most of the time, I learned to 'go' as soon as I felt the need, or the bladder lost all sensation when full, and then 'overflowed' just from the pressure of walking. Not at all nice if I was walking from the store to my car.

I can't believe how relatively painless it all was. The anesthetist even put a little freezing in before inserting the IV because I told him IV's in the past (30 years ago) hurt so much - he did a great job, and it stayed in for the 3 required days. 30 years ago, when I woke, my throat was incredibly painful from the tube they stick down to help you breathe. Not this time! I did wake up nauseous (I get motion sickness, so wasn't surprised) but told them and whatever they gave me via the IV worked immediately. I had the painkiller pump, but only used it to help me sleep over the noise of the guy in the next bed throwing up all night. Gave it away the second day so someone else who needed it more could use it. Sat up and played cards with my son for an hour noon the day after surgery and got myself up (the nurses were so busy I didn't want to bother them for help) and was doing laps around the floor by the afternoon.

Like the person above, the 4th day was the worst with the gas and the fear of constipation. Stopped taking any painkillers because I believed they caused some constipation. 10 days of antibiotics (to prevent possible infection) caused very soft stools, and now that I'm off them, I'm being very careful with what I eat so as not to revert to hard stools.

Vague soreness down below, but that horrid bulge is GONE. My partner and I can hardly wait for the 4 more weeks to go by to see what sex is like!
gladtohavedoneit

gladtohavedoneit 1/11/11 10:58 AM

Have had a cystocele, rectocele, and grade 3 vaginal vault prolapse since childbirth 14 years ago. I found that I was always conscious of where the bathrooms were, and never was able to run or jump with the kids as they grew up. I always had a feeling of fullness in the vaginal area, and self consciousness during intercourse. I had a difficult spine surgery previously, and was not anxious to "go under the knife" again. I met with a urogyenocologist, and decided to have a copalsacralpexy with hysterectomy done robotically/laparoscopically. Had a FANTASTIC anestheologist. She suggested primarily using IV anesthetics (propofol drip), as they cause less nausea. Since I have motion sickness, she also used a motion sickness patch (scopolamine?) behind my ear. I had absolutely no nausea following surgery--wonderful, as I can't even imagine vomiting with this sore abdomen! Surgery was 7 days ago--just 5 teeny incisions in the abdomen. I was hospitalized overnight. the urinary catheter was removed 12 hours post op. I've always had a weird bladder--difficulty emptying completely. I still have the problem, but my hope is that this will improve. I'm still on vicodin at home, but have amazingly few side effects. I do have some numbness over my pubic bone, thigh area. I think this is nerve damage, but as long as it doesn't functionally impare me, I'm fine with it. Hopefully I'll be able to return part time to work next week--yes, just 2 weeks post op. Right now, I feel this was a good decision. Hopefully I'll continue to improve urinary-wise, and I can resume some activities I haven't felt able to do for 14 years!
2be normal

2be normal 5/9/12 5:21 AM

i had a posteria repair i could not pee for over a week , dr told me this was complication of the bladder repair , so i was some what afraid i would never pee again , just such alot of swelling , and i agree there are just such awful stories i have chosen at this stage not to go ahead with the other two repairs, that i need just cause the stories are just so bad.
kathy

kathy 8/30/12 2:32 AM

Guest wrote:

Thanks

Just to address the anesthesia part of your concern. You can have the procedure done using spinal anesthesia. The anesthesiologist can include morphine with the drugs she inserts into the spinal fluid. This additional Morphine can often give you an additional 10 or 15 hours of pain relief post-op. You would be given a generous amount of sedation, but because you would be avoiding a general anesthetic, you would be awake enough to tell someone if you were hurting.
Irene

Irene 9/8/12 3:16 PM

Hi, I had a vaginal hysterectomy, vaginal wall reconstruction and a bladder sling May 26, 2010. Since that date, I have taken antibiotics every day because the sling has held a bacteria that I can not get rid of. I keep UTIs but before surgery I had never had a UTI. On August 12, 2012, my vaginal walls collapsed. Every time that I step I feel as if something is dropping out. Now, I have no insurance so I just have to be careful about being on my feet. I do not lift anything.

Reply as guest Start new topic
Saving