My sister is a single mother of four children. The youngest of which is a 13 year old boy. She has been a single mom since he was a baby. She has done a wonderful job raising them, but lately it has been a topic of discussion between us about her 13 year old boy wanting to sleep with her. When I am there and spend the night and he has no problem sleeping in his own bed. However, when I am not there, he wants to sleep in bed with her. I am not a doctor but I think that is wrong for 13 years old to sleep with mom. She says that he is just a very affectionate child. I would like to hear someone’s opinion on this.

I agree with you that it’s not a good idea for a parent to be sleeping with a 13 year old child or with a child of any age, for that matter. The issue of development of early adolescence complicates the situation with a child of 13, but even if it weren't for this the child's mother should stop this practice. He's able to sleep in his own bed. Try to explain to your sister that he is old enough and that 13 year old boys don’t sleep with their moms.

i slept with my mom until i was about twelve, i saw no bad effects come from it, but then later on when i got older i heard that sleeping with parents at that age affect the child mentally, ex. they may have trouble dealing with problems later on in life because they are too attached to parents and cannot do things for themselves, i dont feel that it changed me, but i dont suggest it

I too also remember when I was like that, I stopped eventually after hitting puberty. The quick solution is to get him to overnight camps and sleepovers. Start little by little then progress faster later on. If that doesn't work, change his sleeping schedule a little earlier. If the problem still continues, bribe him or joke around that I'm going to tell your friend (that's maybe for the extreme.) :-) Talk as if talking to the mother.

This child has no problem sleeping in his own bed at all. That is exactly where he should be, every single nite.
A boy can begin puberty as early as 11 years old. At 13, boys are inquisitive, and he is now considered a young man.
Does he want to sleep with mom? Or is the other way around?
In my opinion, there should be no game playing to get him to sleep in his bed. No joking or making deals. You don't need to reason with him either.
You are my son, i love you dearly. Now, sleep in your own bed, period.

why does a girl at 19 still sleep with mommy?

I have been seeing a women aged 34 for about a year. I stay over a few nights a week and we always seemed to have problem with her 11 year old son not wanting me to stay over. The mother took the sons side and sent me home. On the nights I don't stay over I suspect that he sleeps all night in her bed. I have voiced concerns and she says he does sleep in his own bed? I don't belive her. Sometime I come over early to start work from her house and they are not up and he is always in her bed. On the nights I do stay over he insists on bringing a matrace into our room and sleeping on the floor, hence another reason I don't belive he ever sleeps in his own bed. He does not sleep in his dads bed at his house it just seems to be when with his mum. She says she is not stopping him coming in bed and that he is a sensitive child. What do I do? Its stopping us being together? We love each other but the child keeps saying he is not ready for me to move in with them and I think this is because it will mean him not sleeping with her? He has no problem with me coming round but makes her promise I won't stay over?

Help me please?

This little man has an issue with his mom being so close with another man. Mom has probably babied him and has let him sleep with her for security purposes. Lots of times when dad leaves the marital home, the son will feel like he needs to take over. This child is a tad jealous of you. He does not sleep with his dad when he visits, so it can't be that he is afraid to sleep alone, he needs to sleep with mom because he needs the secure feeling of her or he may be trying to rule the roost.
This kid sounds like he may have some emotional issues and i suggest that you sit down and have a talk with his mom. It is not healthy for this child to be sharing his mom's bed, and it's not doing her any good either.
This could be the demise of your relationship. I know if i was dateing someone and intending to spend the nite with him and his kid insisted on sleeping on a mattress next to us on the floor, i gotta say, that would sort of be it, unless there is a good reason for it. I could see if the kid was sick or something, but other than that, no way.
Her taking his side is her maternal side coming out, she may feel guilty for things happening with her kids dad and she may be trying to make up this way. You are entitled to a loving relationship with this women and it includes intimacy. If she lets her child control her now what would it be like if you moved in with her? Kids can be brutal and i could see him running you out of Dodge in no time.

In many cultures, families sleep together on mats on the floor. Until we had houses with bedrooms, many of our own ancestors did as well. Western society is very dissociated, with a fear of physicality and affection. It is also overly sexualized. I say this as a white person who disagrees with all that and has gone back to older ways. Closeness does not mean sexual stuff is going on. As long as there is no hanky-panky, really, let them enjoy warmth and proximity.

I have a 13 year old step child. He still uses his mother for EVERYTHING. I have not a clue of what to do and I do not see an end to this. It is definitely a problem. if you or anyone know of any answers I would love to hear.

Thank you

I would think that this boy needs psychological help!
What activites do you share with your stepson? He needs to grow up and stop acting like a child.

13 is much too old. He needs to be put in his place---his own bed!

I slept with my mother at thirteen because I had a nightmare, but that was the last time.

i had and still have got special neeeds but i still liked to sleep with my mum and have a bath with her but she wouldnt let me then when i was 13 and i stopped when i was nearly 14. I was scared of the dark but did sleep in my own bed and slept in my own bed when people or my mums boyfriend was round. but my mum repeated you cant sleep with me your grown up now which really upset me all the time because i didnt have many friends got bullied and she was the only person i could talk to about whatever like what we could do next week or whatver. start telling him nicely that he can't sleep with you know more repeatedly everyday or when he asks but hug him while doing this dont say anything about what his friends would think if they knew. in about 3 months to a year and a half. and make sure there are no big bears or things that scare him in his bedroom ask him i had to tell my mumyself.

My husband sleeps with his mom whenever she visits and I don't know what to think of it.  His parents separated when he was young and he is very close to his mom who will soon be 80 yrs old.   He is 43.