2 weeks ago I was 7 weeks into training for the Boston marathon, in the heart of training, when I got a detached retina and had to go in right away for surgery. after the unexpected surgery I was told I would have to take 1 week off of any exercise and another 2 weeks or so off of running (the high impact was a risk of my eye not healing properly). so I took a week off completely and then last wed started experimenting with other cross-training options to keep in shape. I tried the elliptical, biking, a spinning class and even a slide board. Every day for the past week I have been doing between 60-90 minutes of cardio and 15-20 minutes of core exercises.
I am hoping to start running again next Monday and am worried about being able to pick up where I left off. I was doing so well with my training before the surgery, and I want to feel that way again when I start up on Monday. next week I should be following week 10 of Hal Higdon's training program, which ends in a 19 mile run- I am expecting it to be a bit tougher, but I want to do it- will I be ready? (I have a history of no serious injuries- never shin splints or stress fractures).
also, any advice on what I can do for the next few days to prepare myself even more for starting up running training again? I have heard mixed reviews about elliptical training being good/bad for cross-training (bad on the hips and posture of back) and have been introduced to the slide board as a good exercise that mimicks the posture and muscle usage of running. and what exactly are the different muscle groups that biking and running use, because I have found out that biking is a tough workout on the legs- makes running seem light and easy
Even if I have taken 3 weeks off, do you still think I will be prepared for a competitive race come Boston? (I want to PR or get around the same time as my first and only marathon- Milwaukee last October, I got a 3:31)