Well I'm 34 hours in and figured I'd post some of my experiences for those considering this procedure.

First a little history

I had my first thrombosed hemorrhoid at age 19. I had another incident of this after a hernia surgery two years ago, age 25, and just had what I hope to be my last one this past week. All of these occurred in the same area. A few times since going to my Drs. after these first two incidents, I was told "next time it happens seek out a colorectal surgeon immediately." So after this 3rd incident I did, one who is on the board of admissions and an associate professor at a nearby and decently ranked med-school, on Monday. Upon looking at it he stated "This is pretty bad..." Due to his qualifications I felt pretty confident in his advice to have the hemorrhoidectomy the following day; this past Tuesday at 10:00 AM.

Interestingly enough, this past bout of thrombosed hemorrhoids wasn't the absolute hell that previous bouts have been. Previously, the pain was so bad that I at one time considered how much of a release from the pain death would be. I'm far from suicidal but this pain actually made me a little bit crazy. I couldn't even converse with people during it because I couldn't focus on conversations or anything. All I focused on was the throbbing pain coming from my anus. To say the least, they were absolutely awful. On a scale from 1-10 with 10 being the worst pain ever I would qualify these first two bouts damn near infinity.

This last case was painful but mostly manageable, I would say it would rotate from a 6 to a 9 in terms of pain which was bad but nowhere near the previous bouts. Regardless I elected to have the surgery. Plus, the Dr. said if there were any internal hemorrhoids near the thrombosed one he would remove them free-of-charge... Who can pass up a sale?!

Surgery and the recovery

The surgery went off without any issues. I did not enjoy being woken up afterwards and was absolutely exhausted. After seeing that I could drink clear liquid and eat some crackers, the best crackers in the world for some reason, I was given a Vicodin and sent on my way. The local anesthesia was still going strong so I felt fine. My surgeon told me I could double up on the Vicodin as long as I didn't exceed the 4000 mg daily limit of acetaminophen. Upon getting to my parents house (they had the stroke of good luck to be my caretakers) I took a quick nap. Before falling asleep I remember thinking "as soon as this local wears off I'm going to be in a very bad way." With that nice feeling I fell asleep and had what might be some of the weirdest dreams ever.

40 mins later I woke up and felt the local wearing off. In a foreboding voice I said something cheesy like "...and so it begins." The rest of the day was mostly about me spiraling into worse and worse pain. By 9 PM I hit rock bottom. I already tried 3 sitz baths which helped sooth my anus it seemed like much more than two Vicodin at a time. I couldn't help but want to just stay in there as it seemed like the most effective way to help reduce some of the pain. No doubt the Vicodin helped but the sitz baths were what it took to get me a few more steps towards relief. I took a few more sitz baths and then felt the wound start to dry out which made it worse. Also by this time I was starting to get to the point where if I continued to double up on Vicodin I would hit the 4000 mg limit soon and would have to go hours without it so I started using one pill at a time. The pain was really bad...

To give you an idea about the pain, I would alternate between walking around my parents house in a pain induced stupor, naked and moaning (they were sleeping), and mumbling about how bad it was with laying face down and an icepack in between my cheeks. I also tried what seemed like 1000 different positions of face-down-ass-up hoping for relief. Nothing worked. I called the local hospital begging for them to admit me and to put me into some sort of drug induced coma for a few days. They said they couldn't and basically that I would have to tough it out. Earlier in the evening my father tried to relate to me, he had rubber band ligation a couple of years ago, and I responded (it was the pain talking) shut up you stup!d (racial slur referencing my dad's predominantly Turkish ethnicity) it's not the same thing. Seriously, if thrombosed hemorrhoids are hell, then this was the unfinished basement of hell. My mom said she wished she could take the pain from me. I wouldn't be willing to give her all of it but, if I could have given up at least 1/8th of it I would have. At around 5 AM, I called Walgreens to beg if I could break the 4000mg rule and was told no as I could do serious damage to my liver. Then, I asked "What about Advil?" the pharmacist responded with "Yeah, you could do that as a different liver enzyme would be needed." I tried two extra strength tablets of Advil and lied in my bed waiting for any change. I set the alarm on my phone for 20 mins so I could know when it should have taken effect. The relief when it hit me was strong enough that I actually immediately fell asleep, something I didn't think was going to happen for couple of days.

Advil is now my official hero. Two extra strength Advil and one Vicodin are finally doing the trick. The pain is actually pretty manageable. Had my first BM today as well and it went pretty well. There was a lot of pain as the pressure built and I was passing but it went away as soon as I was done. There are some internal hemorrhoids that have prolapsed on the other side and I would normally push back in but, am unable to due to the sensitivity of the area.

I'm not sure if I would do it again at this point. I mean I'm glad I did as the pain becomes less and less but I'll have to see if the issue reoccurs before I can say it was worth it.

Overall, I Have to say how surprised I am that Advil was as effective as it was.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hi Karayabe,

How are you faring now?? Please give an update. I sure hope you are doing better!

Taylor

Hey Taylor.

Here is an update.

I'm not feeling nearly as well as I was yesterday which is surprising although I think it's my own fault. I tried to sit down in a way that would avoid putting unneeded pressure down there, by folding my legs under me, and noticed a very sharp pain and a surprising amount of blood. I think my maneuvering may have reopened the wound and that put me in some pretty intense pain for about an hour. Not as bad as the first night but close for a short period. I took two Vicodins and then an hour later two Advil and the pain subsided. I then proceeded to sleep most of the day. I woke up about 6 hours later and was in pain but, all things considered not as much pain as I would have expected especially as the pain meds seemed to have worn off.

Overall, I'm feeling better now. Generally I'm pretty comfortable while taking Advil with the odd Vicodin except for in the occasional moment of intense pain. I'm beginning to worry about the need to BM. I only had one yesterday and it was a small one. I've been eating since the procedure and would expect to have gone more by now. Hopefully I'm not on my way to constipation. I've been taking stool softener and eating prunes so I guess we'll see. I'm not terribly excited about the next BM as I fear it could reopen the wound again. Thanks for checking in with me. I'll continue to update as my recovery progresses.

I am 30 hours into post op, and would like to give my own experience.

I did not have as much pain as Karrayabe, it was very uncomfortable when the local first wore off but after about 2 hours the tylenol kicked in. I actually found 100 percent relief using only extra strength tylenol, I am all about protecting my liver, and keep meds to a minimum. The doctor had rolled up a large amount of gauze and placed it against the incision, this caused pressure on the incision when I sat down - reducing the bleeding very well, although it felt like sitting on a corn cob. I removed that 6 hours after surgery, they told me to sit a lot after surgery, which I did. My doctor recommended keeping a cotton ball against the incision and changing it every 2 to 3 hours, it only has a little bit of blood on it each time. I tried going a half hour without the cotton ball tonight and it started stinging, I'd rather have the uncomfortableness of having cottonballs jammed in there than the stinging pain I got without it. She said to use cotton balls for about a week. That might be the trick to reducing pain.

I was surprised I the extra strength tylenol worked as good as it did, considering I bought the no-name CVS brand and not even the Tylenol brand.

I had my procedure yesterday at 1pm and today I returned to my desk job at 9am and worked until 6pm, I walked a little more slow. I didn't tell anyone why I was out yesterday, I just said I had an upset stomach, it is not something you want to discuss with co-workers. I think working helped take my mind off any discomfort.

I am fearing the first bowel movement, so far there hasn't been hardly any blood, and I am queasy, if a bowel movement causes bleeding I will probably get woozy. I slept fine last night, and plan on going to work tomorrow.

I took a bath tonight, because they said to take one twice a day.

Another thing that surprised me about Karrayabe's experience is that she got to be put asleep for the procedure. I was in the doctor's office. She looked at it said, "yep, this has to go right now". She had me immediately roll onto my stomach and then started working right away applying a local, I was like "um, I'm going to be awake for this?" and she said "of course! It will only take a few minutes"....It was freaking me out being awake for it, and I could hear the scissors going snip, it still gives me chills thinking about it, by the time I started freaking out it was too late to do anything but sit still and get it over with, I am glad she quickly got it over with and I didn't even spend a minute thinking about impending surgery because it was over before I had a chance to worry about it! I actually had driven myself to the doctors not knowing I was going to need immediate surgery...and I DROVE MYSELF HOME afterwards, in a snowstorm, nonetheless! I was home by 2:30pm, my appt had been at 1pm. I talked to a friend how strange it was driving home thinking, "I just had surgery, and I'm driving!" I was actually a little proud of myself, felt brave and independent.

I will try to get back and update, if I can find my way back to this board.

This was my first time ever with this type of surgery, my first thrombosed Hemorrhoid...I plan on eating better, and never ever read while going to the bathroom - I think a good part of the book got me distracted and I sat too long and the next day it appeared. I got into the doctor within 24 hours of it appearing which is the optimal time to get treatment, don't waste any time if you think you might have one...I googled my symptoms and wasn't sure if it was one, but made the appt anyway because I was lucky to read that you need to get in within the first few days for best results.

Sounds like what you had was excision (removal) of a thrombus (an acute blood clot in the hemorrhoid), not removal of the hemorrhoid. That would be a 15 minute office procedure under local anaesthetic, best done within 48 hours of occurrence, and often provides immediate pain relief caused by that episode of thrombosis.
The rest of the people here are referring to definitive removal of all hemorrhoids and that would be an operating room procedure that calls for 3 to 4 week recovery...

I had a thrombosed hemorriidectomy a week ago and had the same hemmorhiod excised a week before that. The excision was an office proceedure , but the hemmorhiodoctomy was a general anesthesia hospital proceedure. I'm in so much pain I want to scream. No amount of tylenol, aleve ect. seem to be helping.

My husband had this surgery August 31st. Something went terribly wrong that evening and he died on the 3rd of September. Healthy 55 yr old. Clots!!!!

You can't die from this procedure.

Had the op ( complete removal thrombosed) under local today 11 hrs ago, 5 stitches. Was told it would " be a bit tender for a day or two, over the counter pain killers will be enough, no heavy lifting for a few days". As I lay here wide awake feeling like a whole nest of wasps have stung my ring piece, and 11 hrs of high fibre soup farts that can't escape painfully cause embolisms in my intestine, I wonder if my information was toned down or cryptic, perhaps even "light on specifics " or just a bloody ( no pun intended) cruel joke. I would personally inject a litre of morphine into my eyeball at this very moment if it were available and would not constipate me. The thought of taking a dump is terrifying , as are the vast array of comments and threads I am reading about this. Stupidly, I only read clinical/medical info on this and not personal experiences before the scalpel came out. Apparently 72 hrs after is the worst? I can't wait for that. Hooray! I may start bashing my head repeatedly with a large hammer to a) distract me from pain in other locations b) induce a coma with the hope of waking up recovered. If you are about to have this done, you are in for a treat, and that's coming from someone not even 12 hrs into the fray. If you have had this op, I very respectfully salute you!