Hello. My brother has developed one very delicate and unpleasant condition. You see, he was complaining about a week ago on localized pain on his left buttock while sitting, although he hasn’t any other visible symptoms.
Then, one day, on the mirror, he has noticed that he has some big red and very painful bump on his left buttock. We have talked with his GP which told us that he has developed some condition called buttock abscess. He also prescribed him some antibiotics and scheduled him in three days with some surgeon. What he could expect from this visit? Is this condition serious or what?

I must tell you that I exactly know how unpleasant this condition is because I have developed it few years back.
What can I say about it? An abscess is painful collection of pus under the skin. In most cases it may grow from simple pimple but it can also occur after insect bite.
Problem is that this pus is filled with bacteria; especially with Staphylococcus aureus and that this pus collection must be removed. Antibiotics may be prescribed but the most effective treatment is surgical incision and drainage. This will result in immediate pain relief and rapid resolution of the inflammation. Anyway, this isn’t so serious condition!

i have firsthand experience with this. i have an abcess on my left inner butt cheek - a terrible location - that gets inflamed about 2 times a year. i have gone to at least 3 doctors and the prognosis has varied a bit but treatment is typically the same: They lance it, drain it, and let it heal from the inside out by putting in a surgical wick that facilitates ongoing draining while the (lance) wound heals. Because I do have times where it gets inflamed, heals, then inflamed again - i have gotten accustomed to doing the lancing and draining myself. I wouldnt do such a medical procedure but b/c the abcess can fill with puss and become SUPER painful (difficult to sit, drive, and walk), i often resort to my own efforts. As the previous comment says, its not a serious issue and most of the doctors i have seen echo that sentiment. Only one doctor offered an option for "permanent" relief. He said that there is probably a space in that area that is acting like a channel where bacteria collects and eventually becomes inflamed. His suggestion was to do surgery to clean out the area and eliminate the "channel" - he used some other non-scientific word that i dont recall but the concept is the same. Im very embarrassed about this and no one knows about it. It is really a problem for me when it gets inflamed as it has swollen to what seems like an egg just under the skin and my mood becomes very irritated until it it drains. Sometimes the abcess will peak and a slight pressure will send a lot of puss rushing out. Its disgusting and makes me feel very dirty.

I wish I had only one (abcess) to worry about. I have many. They are very painful. Until I went to the doctor, they kept forming one after the other. Because there are so many, my doctor did a blood test to see if I'm HIV positive. I am now awaiting results and I'm scared out of my mind. Can someone assure me that HIV isn't what it is?

It would be terribly misleading if one assured you that what you have is not HIV. The only one that can put your mind at ease is your Dr. Did you fall vulnerable to someone who was exposed to the virus?
You must know the ways of transmission.

Thank you for your response bbfeet9.
You're right. It would be misleading, but I only wanted someone/anyone to assure me only if they knew that they were correct in what they were saying.
I checked with my Dr. this morning and I am HIV negative. Still, I'm not sure the causes but I'm feeling fine now and the abcesses are clearing up. Thank God. Thanks for your input.

I only hope the don't reoccur as I have read in some of these stories. o.O

I had a abscess removed from my inner left buttox/groin area 2 days ago by local anestetic because i am 7/8 wks pregnant, i'm packing it myself as it is my second one. The last one was a year ago. I'm not on strong pain killers or antibiotics,I know it is painfull when recovering but recently i'm getting stinging pains, is this normal,? didn't get this the last time.

I have had three surgeries and one "open wound treatment" on an abcess right where my buttocks end (that little spot between the waist and buttocks). It's nothing serious - painful, bothersome and once toyed with that area will never be the same (not that it will be mangled, but it will remain sensitive somewhat) but it's nothing mortifying.

I also have a friend who has had three surgeries on a very insistent abcess very near his anus. The only difference in our cases was that he couldn't sit down whereas I could and he was put on a liquid diet (so as to expose the stitches to as little water as possible by removing the need to wash the area as much as possible) for two weeks, but that's it.

I realize that the third option is the "open wound treatment" (both me and my friend had a fourth brush, at which time our surgeons informed us "the area was mangled too much to be stitched back up again") which is where they cut you open, drain it out, then facilitate bleeding and blood clotting (by heating up the area only slightly and in a way that isn't painful to you) to make sure the wound closes and fills itself up.

One more thing. The surgery has two ways about it in cases like this: local and general anesthetic. I advise you to pick local, there is no need to get gassed for something that takes less than an hour.

HERPES -- MORE COMMON THAN YOU THINK

Gabe Mirkin, M.D.

A study from the University of Washington estimates that one out of four Americans has genital herpes simplex virus and only one in five knows that he or she has it. People with herpes can be contagious, even when they have no symptoms, but taking Famvir or Valtrex often can stop the virus from spreading.

Genital herpes is characterized by grouped blisters, ulcers or crusts on the genitals, around the anus or buttocks. Blood tests are not dependable because everyone who has ever had herpes will usually have a positive blood test forever. The only dependable test for herpes is a culture of the virus. Almost all North Americans have had herpes, but only seven percent get blisters recurrently.

If you have had only one bout of herpes, you do not need treatment. If you get more than four attacks of herpes per year, you can take one Valtrex or Famvir pill a day for 3 years and have an 80 percent chance of not getting an outbreak by your third year. See report #G300.

I am an overweight woman 245lbs. I had an injection for pain in guatemala in March. After two weeks I got the worst headache and my blood pressure went to the roof. It scared me a lot because my mom died from a brain hammarage. I ended up in he hospital with what they said was hypertention. I was in observation for three days. I came home right away and on my flight I started having very scary symptoms, my heart started beating very fast, I felt like my blood pressure was high and felt like I was having an anxiety and/or panic attach. They had the ambulance ready when I arrived. I was transfered to the hospital where they did x-rays, cat scan, ekgs. Nothing was found. They put me on high blood pressure medicine, anxiety medicine, folic acid. I was ok for about two weeks then I noticed my left buttock was getting sore and I had a black/blue spot. I got my period and my blood was black. I went to my obgyn and he gave me antibiotics and the black/blue spot started to drain. I went to the er where they did an ultrasound of my left buttocks and did surgery on it. They drained it out and cut out whatever was infected. I had the surgery on April 15 and I took care of it and went to the doctor after the two weeks to see if it was healing. Today I saw some scab coming off and when i pulled it started to drain lots of puss it was really nasty. Its been more than a month since my suergery what do I do? By the way I still have anxiety attaches and my blood pressure still goes up once in a while. I am excercising every day and eating right. I have lost 15 lbs. What is wrong with me. I have never ever had any complications. The doctors say one thing has nothing to do with the other but. I dont agree because i had never been sick or had all the symptoms I have now. my anxciey is getting worst and now I feel im getting depression. Help I have seen lots of doctors

A couple of years ago I had a ruptured appendix. After spending 5 days in the hospital and being released, a week later I had a high fever and ended up back in the hospital with an abscess. The abscess was located in the buttocks but deep inside. They had to insert a drain deep in my right buttock. They used novocaine to numb the pain but that didn't work so well. They went deep deep inside my right buttock that I think I felt it go over to my left buttock. I was in the hospital for 6 days while it drained out. I was able to sit mainly on my left side while it was draining. Eventually it all drained out.

That would be terrible of anyone to mislead you on reassuring you that you have HIV or not. However, staph infections in the blood stream can cause Abscesses and boils. You and your doctor are really the only ones who can put your mind at ease. Blessings to you.. I know how scary it is to await the results. And you also must know that even though this test result comes back negative you still need to get tested regularly.

I get these too and from what I found out from my doctor is that I am allergic to regular soap. That the abscess forms under the skin as a irritant to the soap.  I have to use Glycerin soaps and only Glycerin soaps to avoid them. I hope this helps. 

How do you do to drain it yourself? I need to learn.

did you have any pain after that it has been 3 months and i cant haardly sit on my left side very uncomfortable and if you did how long will it last thanks