I weigh 100 lbs., 5' tall. Never have weight fluctuation. One month after tt with muscle repair began lump in throat feeling diagnosed as laryngopharyngeal reflux, hiatal hernia and mild GERD. Also, abdominal distention that is mild upon waking, worsening throughout the day to become VERY uncomfortable, and even painful at times. Hard symmetrical lump around new bellybutton area. Incidentally, had 2 weeks of antibiotics at time of surgery due to bladder infection--resulted in yeast in mouth, treated with Nystatin. Lump in throat feeling started a few weeks after white yeast went away. This is EVERY day. Tried fasting all but herbal tea for a day. No difference. Tried 2-week vegan diet, no difference. On probiotics for 2 weeks. Just had bloodwork for celiac, IBD and H.Pylori--awaiting results. CT with/without contrast in two weeks. Plastic surgeon refused to believe there's connection between the tt and these symptoms, though I've had NONE of these symptoms before surgery (except slight reflux many years ago).

Please give me some hope that I don't have to live with this forever. I'm so sorry I had the surgery.

I too had a tummy tuck about a year and a half ago. Although I am very pleased with the results of my tummy tuck I have had a problem with a lot of gas pain and abdominal distention that gets worse as the day goes by. I also have a hard symmetrical lump around my new bellybutton area. although it seems to have softened up in the past six months. My surgeon pulled my skin down very tight and it makes it difficult for me to eat very much at one time. But it seems like every time I eat I have a lot of gas pain and by evening I am in a lot a discomfort. Sometimes I wish I didn't have the surgery just because of the discomfort I have now. Did you ever find out what was causing your pain?

Maximus1 wrote:

I too had a mini abdominoplasty last year and hernia repair. Unfortunately ever since I had the operation I feel a shortness of breath and lump in the throat feeling. Also straight after the operation I suffered a pulmonary embolism, which is life threatening and I was very lucky to survive. 6 months after the embolism I went to see a Haematologist who advised me that I had no clotting factors and that this type of operation has a high percentage of dvt's and embolisms because of the operation being around the hip area.

I went to an ears nose and throat doctor who advised me he thinks I have reflux. I have been taking somac for this since and it has made a difference. I never had this before the tummy tuck. I am not overweight, I am only 52kg and am very fit and healthy as I am a fitness instructor. I honestly believe it is from the tightening. I am almost thinking of having another baby to help stretch everything back out so I can breath properly again. I am only young and have the time to have another and enough love in our family to welcome a new baby. I have learnt since this operation not to worry about what you look like and what is inside is what matters. I would not recommend anyone take on this operation. It is a huge operation which has alot of complications. Please look at your children and your family and think of how they would feel if they lost you because of your own vanity. And once you have this operation, I can assure you it really does hit you for a sixer.

I have researched on the net and alot of tummy tuck patients do end up with GERD. It is very common.

I have some of the same problems. Started out loving my tummy tuck, had it done in March 2010. I had to have a hernia repaired, my belly button moved up and also had lipo and muscle tightening. I havent had any problem until a couple months ago and began to have abdominal bloating and severe constipation and got so bad was put in the hospital and diagnosed with ileus but could not find underlying problem which is usually significant with ileus. After released from hospital tried clear liquids for a few days, hi fiber diet for awhile but nothing seem to work. One dr. told me to drink mag citrate once a wk, I was so weak I couldnt have a normal life. Decided to find another Dr and go for more test next wk, still have abdominal distention with knots around belly button and center of incision below belly button (had a bikini cut incision) Now Im trying to walk to see if that helps, also thinking about joining a gym but not sure when i can do exercises using abdominal muscles. I have also been on hormone replacement, since estrodiol has constipation as a side effect thought it could be causing my problems. Anyone have any suggestions or answers for these problems please let me know. Thanks!

danitajd wrote:

Hi danitajd! I realize this post is over a year. Have you figured out what the problem is? Do you still have this issue? I also had full TT 1.5 years ago. I have the bloating thing going on . . . bloat only on top abdomen. Looks so weird when I eat anything, although it has improved quite a bit. What did I do? Lost 10 lbs (around 103 now, height is 5.1), stop eating wheat, gluten, eggs and dairy for two months (allergic suddenly after my TT). PLease lemme know how you are doing though.

I had my TT 7 months ago and have had none stop abdominal bloating since. My plastic surgeon says the same thing that I must have had the condition before surgery and has nothing to do with him. The worst is around the belly button as I tend to swell counter clockwise and the only relief is to lie down and pray for sleep. I have reduce my diet to chicken, rice and fish and it helps but if I eat any other food I will bloat within a half hour and can barely function. I just saw a GI spec and he said that I must be anorexic because I am down to 110 and 5' 7" tall and agrees with my plastic surgeon. I did go to his office eating my limited diet so I could drive the 4 hours there and back but brought pictures to show him what I was experiencing but he said it was not possible from the surgery. I am sorry other people are going through the same problems but I am glad I am not losing my mind trying to find a solution on how to live with the complications of this surgery. I hope that it is a time issue and I am trying to introduce new foods into my body without much success yet. I to wish I had never had this surgery but now I only wish to learn of a way to function with it. I have gone to a physio therapist and faithfully do excersises that strengthen my abdominal walls which I think help so I would recommend that. I also would highly recommend anyone who is on stool softeners to get off them as the GI doctor was not very helpful he did explain that they act like giant sponges so if you are taking them and drinking lots of water like you should that will cause you to bloat. He recommended Milk of Magnesia to me which reduced the pain but not the bloat.

That's my story, if it gets any better, I'll let you know,

Bear

I have abdominal pain, cramping and gas that brings me to my knees. these symptoms appeared after my surgery. I constantly have gas-x and pepto in my purse buy nothing works

I am so thankful that I found this thread!  I am a small lady (5'3 110 pounds) who has had four pregnancies.  I had a large hernia and a diastasis due to the pregnancies and an emergency bowel surgery.  I opted to have a TT (even though I had nothing to tuck) in order to fix my hernia.  My surgery was in August 2011- and I am in consant pain.  My PS says that it has nothing to do with the surgery, but I'm finding this hard to believe.  I feel nauseated, gassy and bloated every day....acupuncture/herbs has been the only thing that has given me relief....and Gas-X.  I am also very physically fit and otherwise healthy.  Of course I love the way my tummy looks- but now I am in fear that something more serious is wrong because of these troubling new symptoms.  I'm glad to know that I'm not alone!

Kati wrote:

PS. My plastic surgeon also asked me if I was anorexic at my last visit with him when I discussed the symptoms I was having.

I'm convinced there is an association between TT and bowl problems. I have been suffering for over 5 years now. Hard swollen abdominal lump. Spasms, No one I've seen has anything meaningful to say. Eventually the medical field will realize this is a legit issue. In the mean time it has causes so much unhappiness.

I too am having this. I had a tummy tuck 2 years ago and really started having issues within 6 months of surgery. I have continued to get worse and worse. By the end of the day it seems like my tummy is so bloated that I have a bag lunch at my belly button and look 5 months pregnant. I live on Miralax and have a constant time with constipation. Sometimes it will go on for days! I haven't gained weight and don't know why I am so bloated that it hurts to sit.

I'm 10 months post op... TT, Lipo, Hernia repair... swell every day ESPECIALLY after I eat and drink. I sometimes even bloat after my workout. Ive eliminated most carbs, wheat, and gluten from my diet. I;m not sure what to do..Curious to how you both are doing?

I have had so many of the same problems.  I had my TT 3 years ago, and my stomach almost always feels bloated, and at night, I feel nauseous. It is driving me crazy.  I can't eat that much because I feel as if I am going to vomit.  Even though I am suffering through these issues, I am glad I had it done.  I had lost a lot of weight, and I had so much loose skin around my abs, and I know that exercise alone would not take care of it.  I am wondering if there is something over the counter that I can take to help alleviate these symptoms.

I know it's been a while since anyone has posted, but had to make contact with this group.  I'm 47 and a little over 2 years post tt.  I've done OK until the past few months when the bloating has been incredibly irritating.  I also have endometriosis and wonder if the combination of adhesions and tt are to blame.  My big question is what avenue to take to get a physician to understand.  I really don't have the time or money to chase down 15 different diagnoses.  Ive always been able to eat pretty much anything w/o problems.  It's hard to believe that I'm all of a sudden sensitive to everything in my normal diet.  If anyone is still following, has there been any progress?