New Reply New Topic Followed by 13 people

I would like to know more about the medicines Adderall and Wellbutrin. My parents are using these drugs and I am worried about them. They are old and sometimes not aware that they have taken the wrong drug. Is it dangerous to take Adderall with Wellbutrin.

I know that you are scared for your parents. I understand because the same thing has happened to me and my grandparents. Adderall is a stimulant and appetite suppressant, it stimulates the central nervous system by increasing the amount of certain chemicals in the body. This medication increases heart rate and blood pressure and decreases appetite. Adderall should be taken exactly as directed by the doctor and it should not be taken more then it is proscribed. Too much Adderall could be dangerous so if one of your parents doesn’t know this, tell them to ask their pharmacist. On the other hand, Wellbutrin is a pharmaceutical prescription antidepressant. It acts directly on the brain and other nerve cells and it is also used to treat Attention Deficit Disorder, bipolar depression, chronic fatigue syndrome, nicotine addiction, lower back pain etc. It is important not to stop taking Wellbutrin without talking to the doctor. When it comes to interaction between these two drugs, I have not found anything about it. The smartest thing for your parents is to be more careful when they are taking their medication.

Aderall is an Amphetamine and Wellbutrin has Amphetamine like effects. I think it's pretty unusal that they should be on both. They may be prescribe them both together for fatigue or narcolepsy. Aderall is alot closer to street drugs the wellbutrin.

I have been on the combination of Adderall and Welbutrin for 12 years, this is not unusal for pt.'s with ADHD/Tourettes

I agree with alycarr, i'm perscribed both and its actually very common. The pevious responses were very unhelpful, as adderall is not a "street" drug it is a controlled substance that happens to be abused by some... Welbutrin and aderall are both used to treat ADD quite often and similarly they are often combined...

I have been on adderall for over a year. It decreases my appitite a lot. Now I was just put on wellbutrin as well as staying on the adderall. The two together makes it unbarriable to eat. Can this cause my eating disorder to kick it to action again?

First off, whoever perscribed you adderall, especially along w/ Wellbutrin, w/ a history of an eating disorder obviously isnt a well-trained physician. It STRICTLY says in both information packets on BOTH drugs that if you have an eating disorder, Wellbutrin could cause seizures, and Adderall obviously would cause your eating disorder to kick back into full effect w/o effort. You should definitely consider seeing a different physician. I have been perscribed to both for over 6 years, work as a R.N. in quality management for a hospital, and am well-aware of the effects of both. There is nothing wrong with taking both medications for adhd, as they balance out the brain's chemicals/ neurotransmitters... but perscribing them to the wrong patient is VERY DANGEROUS

BE WARNED ! PLEASE READ !!!

I know i dont know you, but i would really really like to share my story as i hope no one ever has to go through what i did..

My name is Chelsea and I was put on wellbutrin to fight my panic attacks and adderall to help my add back in Junior year of high school (within two months of eachother). An on and off again weirdness about eating, turned into a full blown eating disorder and took a toll for the worse and being on both messed the chemicals up in my body more than you could believe. I became almost OCD about school, eating, and life in general. My closest friends didnt know who i was anymore. It got worse and worse.. anger built up in me until i felt like crawling out of my skin. The breaking point was when i was hysterically in tears rocking back and forth literally pulling my hair out. The combination had made me lose it - and I know you dont know me, but I'm normally a bubbley happy go lucky kind of girl who can get stressed out sometimes, but nothing too bad. I asked my mom to take me to the hospital because i knew something was seriously wrong. It took two weeks atleast for me to de-tox from both drugs. I would wake up drenched in sweat and constantly shaking and so forth. At my worse point, I thought suicide would help me escape this hell. Today, this scares me incredibly, and makes me wonder what would have happened if i would have stayed on them both longer...

I was under 18 at the point , and would drink a few weekends, both of which i know are key triggers to bad reactions, but I truly believe both drugs should never be used together.

Recently a friend from college said he had had horrible responses to being on the same drugs as well.. but he (a 5 foot 8 inch guy had gotten down to 90 some pounds and was put in a mental health center for a month.

I really want everyone who is put on both prescriptions to really consider the risks AND to get a second opinion PLEASE.
I look back today at how close I was to ending my life because of these two pills, and it scares the hell out of me because today I am a happy and healthy college student who cheerleaders, works, and maintains a 3.8 at an honors college.

Please be careful. I never want anyone to go through what i did.

I would like you all to pay attention here... eating disorders have a wide variety of diagnoses and if you are NARROWING your eating disorder discussion to anorexia or bulemia then you need to be specific! many other individuals have difficulties with binge eating and may significantly benefit from the the drug combination.
and EXCUSE ME RN.. I am and RN and if you work in quality management that means you work in paperwork and not practicality (with real patients) working with real patients means each individual person, will respond differently to indvidual medication. the key is to work closely with your physician and closely monitor EVERY symptom you experience. Log your effects, side effects and behaviorisms no matter if they are positive or negative and these will indicate to both you and your physician whether this is the right combination for you or not. working with the brain is a delicate and difficult task it must be taken on with patience NO ONE is the same and it is IMPOSSIBLE to know your individual brain chemistry and how it will respond to any indivdual therapy.

By The Way RN..... Ever Heard of "off label use" MEDICAL DOCTORS, those people who went to school a lot longer than you, have the privilege, knowledge and ability to make those decisions and you need to humble yourself!!! compared to them you know very little!!! you are ONLY a NURSE---this is coming from a NURSE!!!

I also use a combination of Wellbutrin and Adderall, and honestly I find it unimaginably amazing. Neither one seems to have any effect on me in isolation, but in combination I just am completely 100% there, focused, and driven to the task at hand. One thing my doctor said, and which I've found to be true, is that the generic Wellbutrin DOES NOT WORK. In doing some online research after I discovered this for myself, I found that this is a known issue and has been heavily reported by a lot of people, some even saying that the generic one made them psychotic and suicidal. If this was the case with the above poster, then combined with alcohol it is no surprise.

But that's my experience. Adderall+Wellbutrin is a solid win for me.

Generic Wellbutrin is exactly the same as the brand name in every aspect. It has to be in order to be accredited by the FDA. The differences you hear about are mostly psychological(placebo).

people just need to get off all these damn medications. everything is over prescribed and people are mixing medications which is very dangerous. i have several friends who are complaining to their parents about being depressed to get wellbutrin or complaining about not being able to focus to get aderall which is all a bunch of c**p. they just want it to lose weight... and they get it because doctors are just handing it out to anyone who can afford their therapy.

Who are you to say that people should get off there meds. As a kid I had ADHD. That was before it gained so much popularity. Growing up undiagnosed harmed me greatly. I barely graduated high school and I had and have very few relationships. When I became an adult I could not hold down a job for more than a couple of months. If you do not have Adult ADD then you can never understand how hard it is just function on a day to day basis. Any one of of you out there know that ADD is more than just focus problems. It's constant restlessness and an overwhelming feeling of frustration because you seem to be constantly working to catch up with your life. I told my husband that i felt like my brain was a jigsaw puzzle and the pieces were scattered all over the house. Before my meds I remember crying alot, not out of depression, but frustration. I felt stupid because I couldnt finish simple house hold tasks and I my short-term memory seemed non-existent. I'm sure that every once in a while you would walk into a room and forget what you went for. I did it all the time. I would forget phone calls and shopping took hours because I could not focus on any one item. This disorder is just as debilitating as autism or retardation. If it wasn't for a great doctor and Adderall/wellbutrin I would probably be divorced. Yes, I agree that stimulants are over-prescribed to thousands of people who don't need them and that makes it harder for those of us with the real disorder. It's not fair for you to be-little such a real and growing problem with the phrase "bunch of c**p."

Here's a different perspective. Mid 90's had bulimia - got over it (with new OCD tendencies introduced)and started working out. through the late 90's i would (3 times a day) take ephedrine, aspirin, and caffeine pill. Then I did steroids on top of that from 98 - 00. Once ephedrine was made illegal i switched to crystal meth for 1 year. every day except for the 3 day sleeping binges here and there. after i quit that - i went back to legal thermogenics every day like Xenadrine. Then I started adding Cocaine occasionally. To say i like to be 'sped' up is an understatement. I stopped ALL that in around 2005.

Come to now - I have anxiety, depression, OCD tendancies. ok fine. 20mg paxil per day for a few months. helps a little but sexual dysfunction. research says try Wellbutrin. I do. BAM. Next day - I have great energy like i haven't had in years - and anxiety is gone - it was great! that lasted for 2 weeks at 150mg of Wellbutrin. It was so good I asked for 300mg and started those. Within 2 days everything was gone. anxious again, no energy.

I went back to my 150mg Wellbutrin and nothing... I was so angry.

More research says Adderall for energy. I read all the horror and addiction stories. But I am not living forever with how i feel at the time - no way I can stay like that.

Get Adderall XR10mg. take it next morning with Wellbutin and BAM - everything is back! Energy, not anxious, confident. I was underwhelmed in the sense that it is nothing like real crystal meth, and to me - feels more like the come down of cocaine. but still - was feeling good!

For one week. then just nothing. I tried taking 20mg of Adderall and it was horrible. just made me sketchy and this time feeling like a bad come down from hard drugs. no good.

Appetite is not an issue for me since i am OCD about food - so even when i am not hungry i still eat my meals at the correct times etc... so i might lose weight, we'll see.

However - the adderall DOES greatly improve my strength at the gym. I still go religiously and have added 30 pound to my bench press that first week - and have kept it going.

SO as of tomorrow I think I will just try Wellbutrin again and see what happens. Anyways - I have the absolutely most addictive personalty in the world - i mean - my doctor had no reason to give me adderall and didn't want to but my 'inner fiend' came out telling him i used to have add at school when i was little etc.... i just needed to really see if it was as addictive as the web stories say - and for anyone that has done real meth for any long amount of time - it is not. So don't consider it a legal replacement.

I will continue to play with the doses as I did have a few weeks that were a total success and hope i can get that back...

If anything I will keep the Adderall for energy - like if i ever need to go dancing or some outdoor exercise - but otherwise it's not for me.

I had been taking 300mg Welbutrin and 20mg Adderal for about two weeks. Last Saturday I had a seizure at the lake. I'm 31 and have never had a seizure in my life. It scared the hell out of my husband and everyone else. I was at a family reunion at the time. I ended up in the ER for a night. They told me it was the combination of the meds, plus the summer heat. No permanent damage but I do have to see the doc and change my meds. It was nice while the meds were working. I was able to have a cohesive conversation/argument with my mother and get more involved with what my kids were doing. You gotta understand, people like me dont want these medications to get high or lose weight. We need them to function in the world, so that we can be good mothers and fathers and wives and husbands. It isn't about a lack of energy, Its a lack of mental togetherness.