Please help,
I know this may seem strange but, I am addicted to scratching the dandruff flakes from my head. I've had the dandruff for about 8 yrs now. I
ve always used head and shoulders but this only seems to supress it alittle i still see smaller flakes after washing my hair. The next day i see slightly larger flakes. I brush my fingers through my hair hundreds of times a day often at my computer desk, So that I can watch the snow flakes gather up on the desk. It seems like no matter how much i comb my hair or shampoo it never seems to go away. I hate the itch but i love to see the little white specs. please help me

It's funny u said that because I do the same thing. When I get my hair washed...no flakes for about 2 days then suddenly, huge flakes appear when I comb/brush my hair/scalp. So then at my desk, I do the snowflake thing too. I try to beg folks to scratch my scalp and as they do, I'm all like, "Do you see any dandruff?" ...lol My mom, boyfriend, friends...whoever I can get to do it. If you don't mind my asking....are you Black? Do you grease your scalp? I've found that the only grease that STOPS the dandruff is Virgin Hair Fertilizer in a yellow and white tube. It's made from Peppermint extract, sulfur and something else. But no only does it stop the dandruff....it grows your hair! Seriously! I'm so happy w/it. you have to look it up on the internet....also, you can order online. It comes from Nigeria. But please do check it out. The key is, try to wash you hair every 2 wks, as to not dry your scalp out, thus making hair brittle. Also, oil it w/the hair fertilizer and you'll see....the dandruff stops! Right away. I wear braids and it increases the growth....by the time I get my braids out, I have about 1.5-2 inches or newgrowth.

That's it for now....gotta go but I hope your problem improves. TTYL.

Oh my god! I'm a 25 year old girl from The Netherlands, and I have the same thing.
I knew I couldn't be the only one in the world, addicted to scratching my head, and looking for dandruff. It's really an addictio.
I could never find anything about it on the internet, but as I tried it again tonight, I finally found this ..
I'm always in front of the mirror haha, looking for some white flakes,
then scratching my head again .. on and on.

Let's keep on posting!

Thats amazing, I am a 25 year old guy and I have the same bad habit. I bought those head protectors that cooks wear to prevent hair falling into their food, or plastic protectors that people wear to keep their head dry in showers. I put them on when i get home so whenever i try to do it, i can't and slowly the habit should goes away. But its temporary; just when i think i am over it .. after a few weeks the habit comes back. I hate it.

oh my God! I'm 29 years old female and I thought I was crazy! Good to know that I am not alone. Thanks. Keep posting and showing support.

I didn't get chronic dandruff until I moved to France. I don't know what it is with this place. I moved from the desert where it's drier and here I get all kinds of weird stuff I never had before like exima and athletes foot and of course dandruff. I used to wear hats a lot, but it seems to make the dandruff worse, (nobody wears hats here anyways, i kind of liked standing out though) and I bought four different dandruff shampoos. None of them worked only slight a repretion like someone said. I do the scratching thing too. Sometimes thinking I can stratch all the flakes away, not so much because I enjoy it. It really bothers the hell out of mel. So I went to the pharmacy and I said that all these shampoos are m***e. I need something stronger. So they gave me something stronger and it worked. Simple as that. Head and Shoulders is m***e.

Omg i'm 18 years old and i do the exact same thing. I love scratching the flakes and watching them fall over a black surface. However i think scratching only makes it worse, i saw a woman saying that on tv once. I tried using head and shoulders and other shampoo stuff... it didn't help, but i wash my head an average of 1 or 2 times a week so maybe that's why...
Haha, i'm scratching my head right now :-P

Same, I'm 19 years old and I have the same problem... I can't stop scratching sometimes and it's like my skin screams at me to start scratching and off I go. I even do it in class and my hair started showing bald-patches... sometimes it bleeds. Mum puts cream but it doesn't work. Man, I need help. :-(

hey i know the feeling, i hate my itch its worse at night an i look like i spent the night with freddy. anti histamines do help but i dont like taking them all the time. i recently found out i am super alergic to dust mites, if u have exema your bed is a haven for the bastard things. if your srcachin your scalp till it goes bald or bleeds you have a fungal infection see a doctor man, cream doesnt do sh*t against fungals.

much like the other posts i have liked scratching my head and seeing flakes and find myself doing it reading a book watching tv. however this has not always been the case i had started school and ive had deprestion problems and before starting i changed my medication to prozac it brought dry mouth and i just strted thinking was it a reaction to the medication because side effects involve nerological problems and limited control of muscle actions or was it stress and i have found me being addicted to this to the point of scratching my rear scalp and picking it so that a bumb, quite large grew and a doctor instantly guesed that i had scrached my head and that had caused it still i have the bump and stop scraching when i notice im doing it but the bump constantly hurts on touch and throbs with pain by itself. hope this helped sorry oon the lack of spelling skills.

Hey, "The Geeze", don't judge people who are asking for help by calling their compulsion "weird". This is not "one of the weirdest compulsions ever". It is just a compulsion.
Obsessive-compulsive behaviors are tasks or rituals that are an attempt to neutralize anxiety, tension or stress.
There are many treatments available from doctors or psychotherapists, including behavioral therapy to learn to control one's emotions instead of letting them control us.
You can also find many self-help books available if you don't want the expense of a therapist. On Amazon.com search for cognitive-behavioral therapy or obsessive-compulsive behavior and lots of self-help books come up.
Specifically with the obsession of scratching one's dandruff to watch it collect on the desk, I have done this too! I have found the following 3 things helpful:
1) Dealing with my anxiety more effectively (see above resources for help)
2) Fish Oil supplements to provide Omega-3 fatty acids which are good for your brain, and help with a wide range of psychological issues, and also good for your skin and scalp, and your overall health
3) Vinegar! I put apple cider vinegar in a squeeze bottle with a small dispenser tip, and squirt a small amount onto my scalp whenever I feel the urge to scratch my dandruff. It helps greatly to reduce the dandruff. It has antifungal and antibacterial properties. The downside is I smell like a salad. But I'd rather have that problem than out-of-control dandruff.

lnw wrote:

Lighten up, lnw. I was trying to inject a little humor into the subject. And it would seem that one persons "weird" is another persons "normal". You will also notice that I DID tell them to seek help for a "compulsive behavior".

Sorry if I ruffled your dandruff... errr.. I mean feathers. :lol:

Lighten up a bit and don't take life so seriously. After all, it isn't permanent.

Dry scalp is one common issue that people face, especially in winter where you are moving in and out of heated areas frequently. The skin of the scalp becomes tight and itchy and tiny flakes of dead skin are showered by combing and brushing. Dry scalp conditions are often misidentified as dandruff, and are treated as such, which can worsen the condition depending on the treatments used. Dry scalp occurs when the hair strand exiting the scalp is not being lubricated by the sebaceous gland.

Good hair days start with a healthy scalp. Its job, after all, is to grow strong shiny strands. But dry indoor air can zap moisture and dissolve protective oils from the skin on your head, leaving it itchy and flaky and your mane dull and unmanageable. Gently massage conditioner into your scalp after every shampoo to hydrate it and lift away some of the flakes.

Tips for getting rid of Dry Scalp

Gently massage conditioner into your scalp after every shampoo to hydrate it and lift away some of the flakes.

Lather up with clarifying shampoo weekly. These deep-cleaning formulas rid hair of product buildup and help loosen dead skin cells on the scalp.

Turn down the heat. Hot water can zap natural oils from your scalp, making it ultra dry and sensitive; also choose the lowest heat setting on your blowdryer.

Try a final rinse of one cup warm water mixed with two to three tablespoons of white vinegar. This will also bring out the highlights in your hair and make it shiny.

Massage table salt into your dry scalp before shampooing with an acid-based shampoo.

Try an oil treatment in which you massage olive oil into your hair and scalp, cover your hair with plastic wrap and with two wet towels. Keep the towels on your head for twenty minutes, then remove oil with two washings.

Supplement your diet with foods rich in Vitamins C and B, which promote a healthy scalp, and healthy hair.

I'm just glad I'm not alone... I do it at my desk at work and its getting hard to stop... It falls on my shoulders and then when I shake it off people ask what I'm doing I just say lint because I'm embarrassed

I used to do it an awful lot in school, but then I stopped for a long while and only recently did I start back up... Bored at work I guess.

I found this site (link below) with some helpful tips. Personally, I'm going to try the substitute thing, where your hands reach for something else (like a stress ball) or make your hands do something else the moment you feel the urge to scratch and find the dandruff. I'll let you know how it goes.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/406874/how_to_stop_the_head_scratching_habit.html?cat=70