Just had hemorrhoidectomy surgery 4 days ago (on a Wednesday). Asked the Dr. prior to surgery when I would be able to go back to work, and he said Monday. It is now Sunday morning, and there is no way I would be able to sit down at my office for a full days work.

Not feeling much pain. The pain is actually bearable compared to what others have posted. Am currently on Vicodin, but only take as needed. Pain was prevalent immediatelly after the surgery and I received a dose of Morphine while still in the hospital, but no extreme pain after that.

Have not had a BM yet either. Seems that I will be in extreme pain based on other people's posts, so I'm just hoping for the best. Recommendations on lessening the pain?

The only concern is the swelling. I was not aware that so much swelling would occur after surgery. It looks like a huge external hemorrhoid outside of the anus. Called my Dr. since I was concerned that he didn't remove the hemorrhoid completely, but he said what I was seeing was normal and the mass was actually swelling due to the surgery. Has anyone encountered this before? How do I reduce the swelling? Nothing seems to work. Tried to ice it and also tried the sitz bath, but it doesn't seem to reduce the swelling.

Because of the swelling, I am unable to walk or sit. I am still lying in bed. The pain is very minimal so therefore once the uncomfortable "mass" is less swelled, I would be able to return to work.

Help with swelling!

Actually had BM already. Didn't hurt at all. Remember to drink plenty of prune juice and a rich fiber diet. Drink the prune juice till you're absolutely sick of it. It definitely helps out.

Hey man, my name is Jack. I know what it must have been for you, it's a pain to endure through, and it mentally bores you because you're unable to move. I went through the same thing, I was unable to move at all. But our methods differ, I didn't do hemorrhoidectomy, instead, I considered some other hemorrhoid remedies. I know you're eager to return to your job but you need to give it some time, to heal properly. Also, I remember I had to eat healthy, plenty of fibers in order to make it easier to heal. Thank God it passed. 

I had surgery on mine earlier today. I think i must of been really lucky though. The stories im read are much worst sounding. My first BM after the surgery was about 6-7 hours after. It was a bit stinging but nothing major at all. Hardly minor. I was more nervous than anything.
I am on pain killers though. Over the counter.

I found this post because about 2 hours ago, i checked myself and It looked like the doctor didnt remove my External roid at all. Its a huge swelling, bigger than the roid was orginally. Im really glad your doctor said it was normal. This is the second forum i found that said it so im at ease now. I was slightly scared he messed up hehe.

i expect to be in work on Friday(today/day of surgery is wednesday). I seem to be not getting as much pain as most others are describing.

Hope you feel better soon.

Yeah, whatever is swelling after the surgery outside the body is quite weird. I went to the Doctor yesterday and he prescribed some additional cream called, Analphram, to reduce the swelling.

As I didn't have any pain with BM, maybe the people that are stuck with the additional swelling that looks like a hemorrhoid don't have any pain with BMs. Give and take...? It just feels very uncomfortable but no pain.

I had roids removed 4 weeks ago and I'm still recovering. You'll be out of work a minimum of 3 weeks. I did half days the 4th week. The worst is yet to come when the BMs start. Holy Cow. You'll be going in the tub and straddeling the toilet. It is miserable. I'm still bleeding after 4 weeks. they say you may need 2 months to fully recover.

Good luck...I feel your pain

It has been three weeks and I am still in constant pain, especially after BM When will it end?

It has been three weeks since my hemmorhoid surgery. My surgeon said it was one of the worst cases he's ever seen. The nurse said if there was a trophy I'd get it. The pain the first week was pretty bad. It's all a bit of a blur. Now it's been three weeks and I'm still in a great deal of pain. Especially when I have a B/M. I feel like I'm going to pass out sometimes. When will it start to get better? I have three small kids and it's hard to take care of them in this condition. I'm getting a little depressed b/c last week I started to feel better and now this week I feel lousy again. Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

I hate that people tell you what you will have to expect. For me as well, the BM are not painful at all, even though my Dr said they would be, I am also not bleeding. I am swollen and the whole area is really hard to the touch, but I figured with any swelling, that takes a week.

My surgery was 04/17 in the morning.

I had hemorroid surgery March 15, 07. It's the best thing I've ever done.
I have been dealing with them for the last twenty years. I was thanking
the surgeon in the recovery room. The pain had become unbearable. My
life no longer centers around my rearend. I did everything I was told to do.
The sitz baths, stool softeners, and lost of liquids. All the horror stories I had
heard didn't happen for me. The first bowel movement, two days later, I was
bracing my self for major pain. Just a little stinging. I have not had any
problems until I did a lot of heavy lifting recently and now I have some
swelling and bleeding. Back to the tub. I would do the surgery again if
I had to and don't wait twenty years like I did. :-D

the person who wrote in February could have been me. I'm sitting here (rather gingerly) deciding if I need to go back to the Dr. because it looks and feels like I have another "roid" coming out - but after reading everyone's blogs - maybe this is normal. I've been on pain meds and really want to go to work Monday - but I have a long way to go. Hopefully the swelling that I have will slowly go away. I go in July to see about "banding" the internal so maybe I will have some relief with the rest of my life. I've been dealing with this for 22 years. I'm over it.

use tucks pads for swelling....

alarm wrote:

Help with swelling!

I had major pain after the surgery. Worst thing i ever experienced. Horrible pain trying to have BM and when finally having BM (comes a point where you can't hold off any longer -- talk about fear). I can't say that I'm glad I did it, but i was having a lot of bleeding for several years prior to the surgery. However, every time I went for a checkup the doctor extended the length of time when I'd start looking and feeling normal. I'm not in pain now, but I still have external swelling. He said that would go down 'within a year' (originally I believe it was a month or slightly longer). But they also could come back. How will I know, if they don't go away to begin with? He cut out the internal rhoids, and that's great, but my butt still looks awful.

Hi everybody!
I've been reading all the coments about the hemorrhoidectomy... it sounds so bad. I even started to have second thoughts if I should do it or not, after reading how bad it is...but I did it and I'm probably among the lucky ones. It's been one week and 3 days since the surgery, I have no pain at all, I drive, play with my daughter, do everything that I used to do. I had my surgery on a Tuesday morning and I drove for the first time on Saturday, I stopped taking Vicodin on Friday morning...and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It was painfull, indeed, but just for the first few days and, especially, with the first BMs. I guess for me it helped the sitz baths, I don't even remember how many times I've jumped in the bath tub every day ... what a relief!!! And then, eating fruits, vegetables, drinking a lot of water, prune juice, eating dried prunes, a lot of fiber intake helped also.
I was worried a little about the swelling, but that seems to go away little by little and the doctor said that if it doesn't all go away, he could just numb the area and do a small incision to cut the rest that might be bothering me. It feels so nice to be free of hemorrhoids, I even feel better about myself.
I would say the surgery it's worth it, but you have to embrace yourself, because it is painfull and I know it's different for everybody!
Good luck and have little pain to whoever chooses to go for it :-)

I had my hemorrhoidectomy 19 days ago to have some external hemorrhoids removed. I was able to return to work a few days after the surgery. The pain during BMs has decreased dramatically in the past few days (thank goodness!), but I still have extensive swelling (and it looks like new external hemorrhoids but I see from the posts on here that it is probably just normal swelling). I feel much better most of the time, and I have even gone back to light exercise at the gym, but I am curious about how much longer I should expect this swelling to last. The biggest problem is that it is hard to get clean after a BM (because the swelling is actually worse than the skin tags from the original hemorrhoids) and it is so frustrating because I am afraid to use the bathroom at work to make a BM and I hold it until I get home (so I can bathe right afterward to get clean). I would love to ask my surgeon this, but it seems that he just left for a 4 week vacation (must be nice). Although I am back to work and I am doing most normal things again, it is hard to plan trips and such for work because I am fearful I will be unable to have a place to make a BM where I can bathe right afterward. The surgeon said the wounds should be pretty much healed at the 6-week mark. Will I have to wait to the 6-week mark for the swelling to stop? Can anyone give me an idea of the timeframe in which I can expect the swelling to be gone??? Thanks so much!