New Reply New Topic Followed by 22 people

I'm still numb after 10 months...and tight of course. Is anyone still tight and numb? I'm afraid I might have nerve damage...
B

I had my neck lift with lipo almost 5 months ago. Numbness still but the neck tightening and pulling in back of the ears has been really bad. No relief except when I lay on my back. I have been to two plastic surgeons post op who said lipo (esp. in the neck) creates scar tissue that takes about 6 months to heal, and causes this problem. The real problem is expectations are not set correctly by the docs (2 -3 weeks back to work...not if you do any physical labor at all!). Try endermologie treatments, they do break up the scare tissue and speed up the process. The tightness got no better (actually it got progressively worse) until the pasy week or so. Hope this helps, you are not alone!
J

:-( Now 16 months after facelift and lipo, numbness still persists with pain in left ear, also tinnitus which I did not have before op. Have consulted PS and he says it is scar tissue and to keep massaging the effective areas.
What I would like to know is why these PS cannot be honest with you regarding time of healing. These problems cause so much worry and depression and family problems. I try and forget it by going to the Gym, but find the numbness worse after exercising. I do hope that with time these problems will go away, but at the moment it is like looking for the holly grail. I hope someone out there can give us some hope that time is a healer?

I don't know what the answer is, I am having trouble myself. I had a neck lift 3 weeks ago and still have numbness and swelling and cannot smile correctly. I cannot depress my lower lip to smile and laugh. I am really freaking out. My doctor says it is temporary and to give it 6-12 weeks. Has anyone elso had the smiling problem after surgery? Did it eventually go back to normal? If so, how long did it take?

It's been 5 months post facelift/lipo neck/jowls and I am still having lumps (given cortisone injections), heard a popping sound in my cheek areas and was told it was a dissolvable sutures (not to worry), still feel tightness/numbness under jaw/cheek area....definition of jawline is not as sharp like it was 2 months after surgery...keep being told that it takes 1 year to heal. Wonder if anyone else is going through this long recovery period and does it get better? Thanks, Kat

I am having issues after a post platysmal corset neck lift.......I'm not happy. It's been almost 5 months and I was told the same thing and I am a medical person so I know they tell you it's always better than it's going to be but this is shocking. First, the tightness and pain was unbearable and I still have it just as bad some days.......I use thick creams a lot to help w/ the tightness and it helps only at the time. My issue is the lumpiness under my chin and scar tissue and my neck is starting to look like I have a thin sheet of skin over lumpy veins and muscle because I can see veins that I never had before and it looks all wierd and lumpy...this better go away or I'm going to have a fit. I have a stressful job and this is the last thing I needed. I would suggest everyone go get a second opinion about what you had done because you may get a totally different answer. My doc keeps saying oh, this is normal. etc, etc, BS. I am going to see another PS soon and se what they say. I want a real answer if I can get one.......I was told that it takes 6 mo. to a year for the final effects to take place but mine seems to be getting worse looking rather than better. I even am starting to see the bands come back a little bit.......not good!...especailly after paying 8 grand!!!

I agree with your 8/4 post regarding getting a 2nd opinion. My next apt. with my PS will be at the 9 month mark - but in another few weeks I will be 6 months post and if I do not see any improvement - will seek the advice of another surgeon. You are right about not being totally informed of all the side effects. I had no problem with initial swelling/bruising - I expected all that would take several weeks. But the constant tightness in neck area - dark indentations under eyes from laser - lumps in cheek area and now my jawline does not look crisp like it was 2 months after surgery. Doctor just keeps saying all is normal and it takes 1 year for swelling to go down. I just wish they would have prepared me more for the recovery period so I can feel better knowing at the end (1 year) it will be worth it. But what a way to go in the meantime - anyone else been through this and what is the outcome? Does it all look better in 1 year or at this point - am I going to need some type of revision. Thanks for your advice!

Hi All,

Hope you are seeing and feeling some improvement with the problems you are having. I had a necklift with fat transfer and upper blepharplasty on 8/5/09 and was absolutely not properly informed or prepared for the recovery :-( . Wish I had done more research on the recovery and risks!

Also having the neck muscle tightness and really sore ears with ringing which is think is b/c of the tightness. Still numb in the neck and jaw area but experiencing some sharp pains, which are actually a sign that the nerves are healing - this can take up to a year and I know this from past surgeries, so don't give up hope and try taking supplements - best one is C, but A & K are good also and E a couple weeks post-op. I'm also hearing that massage is very helpful - probably best to see a professional.

I had a hematoma on my left cheek, which was not drained soon enough and I now have a large lump with what appears to be skin necrosis and tissue voids surrounding it and it looks bad. Not sure what happened but my PS certainly dragged me in enough in the first few days post-op that he should have picked-up on it and treated immediately.

I saw my general practitioner last week and he was furious and basically said the the PS screwed up and that this was what I was stuck with >:( I saw my PS the next day and expressed my concern and anger. He assured me that it would resolve... unfortunately his body language told me otherwise. He gave me a steriod shot and told me to press on it 4-5 times a day, which isn't helping and only making is more tender and bruised.

I have an appt next week to see my dermatologist (seems like middle-ground) to get his opinion. But I have not been able to find any info online about this sort of thing and I'm freaking out a bit. Anyone had or heard of this problem??

Thanks,
Jillian

I had my neck lift/partial facelift 2 years ago. I still have the tightness and pain (like a noose around my neck). Additionally, I have a huge indentation under my chin with sagging skin at my left jaw and neck. I am going to see my PS next week. The last time I saw him, he recommended more surgery. I am so sorry that I had this surgery done. Anyone else feel like me?

Hi All

It was a same problem with me.. But as my doctor said it takes some time but it gets fine. Really i got fine in 7 to 8 weeks..In some cases it took 18 weeks but its normal.. So dont worry..If any one wants to try for face lift, Neck lift, Rhinoplasty then go to y lift at .. You will get what they are offering...You can have a look on the videos also

Claira

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I had the works (ugh) done almost 3 years ago. The works is lower and upper eye, brow, face and a partial neck I didn't realize he was going to do. As I write this I can't believe I had all this done to myself. The only person who knows I did this is my husband. I have lots of close friends and family, but I felt really weird about doing it....so, I also have no one to talk to about it.

I am still numb (feels more like I have tape wrapped around the edge of my face, eyelids, and brow). It's worse at some times more than others. I haven't figured out what circumstances make it worse. I am so freaked out, I kept waiting for it to go away and am now afraid to hear that this is permanent. I don't really know who to go to about it. I don't think the very well known and reputable plastic surgeon who did the operation will be of help.

Any suggestions?

I am 4 weeks post op today. I had two procedures with two Surgeons; an Asian Crease in my upper lids and fat repositioning under my eyes and am thrilled with the results. I have no side effects from the eye surgery and am completely back to normal.

The neck lift is another story. It was performed by a Surgeon who was recommended by by eye doctor and proceeded the eye surgery on the same day. My neck is tight and I feel discomfort around the suture lines. It is not painful - just uncomfortable. I am still numb around my ears and as the numbness goes away, I feel additional sensations. I cannot turn my head and cannot lift heavy objects. I have seen my Dr many times post op and now will not see him for a month. He says I am healing very well and now it is up to Mother Nature. I am getting married in 3 months and know I will look great but I still have to sleep on my back and miss snuggling with my fiance since lying on my side is uncomfortable. I just didn't expect it to take so long. I am active and have had to stop running. I just want to get back to normal and was patient for a full month but now I am ready for this to be over. I am still wearing the compression band as much as possible since it feels better - my poor fiance is wondering what I have done to myself!

I would love to hear some positive responses to this post!

Guest wrote:

Any suggestions?

I had a facelift, eyes etc done almost 2 years ago and feel the numbness also. I can feel where the sutures have let go in front of my earlobes ..there's a depression that I can feel but can't see in the mirror on each side. I would think that my face has sagged by that much..I can see that my face has relaxed a bit from the first few months after the surgery. I am glad to hear that someone else is still feeling like this.
The fact is that I didn't expect to feel the effects this long after the surgery, but I would also like to say that if this numbness is permanent and I knew before that it would be, I'd still go ahead. I may be vain, but when I compare my jowls and baggy eyes in a picture from 2 years ago to how I look now, no regrets....
I've read other people's posts and some seem to think that massaging helps. I once had a nerve bundle in my arm damaged and it took years to heal so if we have damaged nerves in our faces, it could be awhile.

anonymous wrote:

Any suggestions?

I just had several procedures done on my face (Im 2nd day post op) and PRAY PRAY PRAY it turns out well .... especially the nerves, etc. My main thing was to get my neck lift done, then got lower face, endobrow lift, fat transfers to my face and I can say that when the time comes that I have healed enough to have "professional" massage ... I DEFINITELY WILL .... it is the BEST thing in the world for lots of things. And, I personally think it is KEY in healing nerves .... it is worth a TRY for you .... but get references and go to someone GOOD (GREAT) ... My girl is an RN, and licensed in massage in many differrent specialties. IT IS WORTH EVERY PENNY! I am from the Charlotte, NC area ... Dont know where you are located but if you are close to this area I can give you her name and number if you are around this area. HOPE THIS IS OF SOME HELP!!! K. Herrin

I had liposuction of the neck and a necklift back in March of 2010. At first i had horrible lumps in my neck and extreme tightness. The Dr's told me basically the same thing that only time would heal it and after 6 months if it didn't heal then i could take cortizone shots. I found a solution. Lymphatic Drainage Massage. Within two weeks the large lumps on my neck went away and the tightness in my neck dissappeared. I still have some tightness 6 months later but the speed at which i healed actually even surprised the doctors. So much in fact that they now are sending all their patients there for a lot of different issues as lymphatic drainage will speed up healing and will actually get rid of the scar tissue that hides under your skin caused by under-dermis trauma. Worked for me if anyone else is willing to give it a shot and it helps i would like to hear back from them. I had to go about 4-5 times a week for 2 weeks but i seen results almost immediately and they helped me to understand exactly what it was that was happening to me and were truthful about my outcome. Something i find most doctors don't do as they just want to keep you optimistic.