I'm a 40 year old women..had TONSILLECTOMY in September. Developed tinnitus and hearing loss. Has this happened to anyone else. I had/have TMJ and was told after the fact that i should not have had a TONSILLECTOMY because of the TMJ...any help would be welcome...

After the procedure you will experience pain, and this is normal. Pain sometimes can be moderate but sometimes it can be hard to bare. When the pain and difficulty of swelling last for several weeks there is sometimes a change of development of tinnitus. The condition called Eagle’s syndrome is the result of calcification of the stylohyoid ligament. It can result during the process of tonsillectomy and can be a cause of the onset of tinnitus.

You will notice sudden ringing in the ears. Have you experienced this? My advise would be to visit otolaryngologist. I think he will prescribe some pain killers and anti inflammatory medication. Are you using any pain killer now?

I hope this helped.

Quote:

Had TONSILLECTOMY 6 years ago and since then i developped a tinnitus (non stop/ continious)

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

did you get any relief? i am now having the same problem.

I'm a 33 year old male. I had a tonsillectomy in December 2011. In February 2012, I started experiancing Vertigo, and shortly thereafter tinnitus.
It has now been 8 1/2 months. I need help... If someone has experanced this and has been healed please post what's steps/procedures were taken. Thank you.

I am 53...had tonsillectomy in Feb 2012... Had issue with my uvula laying so low after the surgery. That resolved itself but within a couple of months I too, developed tinnitus. Today I had my hearing tested and I have hearing loss. Have had tmj problems in the distant past as well. Does anyone low the resolution??

It sounds like symptoms of obstructive sleep apnea. I had these symptoms that went away with cpap treatment for sleep apnea.

I am a 61 year old male and had a tonsillectomy 27 years ago I complained of severe earache after op and was told to take soluble aspirin which I did for about a month, I developed tinnitus during this period too. I have had to endure it ever since, I Was referred back to ENT department who told me it was just a coincidence that I developed tinnitus and that I had a history of ENT problems so it could be down to that, have also been told it could be due to taking aspirin (I was taking a lot as the earache was severe). This week my brother was told he needed tonsillectomy so he mentioned me developing tinnitus after my op and he was told it was entirely feasible because when they clamp your mouth open during the op the part of the jawbone where it pivots could trap the auditory nerve, so they've put on his notes not to clamp his jaw open fully! Strange why they never told me that amongst all the excuses/reasons as to why my tinnitus developed!

Yes I had the procedure when I was 21 and was left with high frequency hearing loss and tinnitus. I keep getting palmed off with hearing aids which do not help one bit.

i have had exactly the same problem for 10 years now