Hi, recently I heard that not only aerobic exercise but also strength training is important to women in middle ages. I always thought that only bodybuilders lift to improve strength of muscles. Is it actually good for aging women to lift or not?

Hi, my trainer told me that researches confirmed the benefits of aging women improving strength. Strength training can provide the muscle power to perform daily activities, increase bones strength. Postmenopausal women have increased risk if they fall to break bones, due to the problems associated with aging such as osteoporosis, deteriorating balance and skeletal fragility. Weight training can also make you happier with your body weight, because researches suggest that aerobic exercise burns more calories while exercising, but the metabolism slows back down after about half an hour. Strength training enables continued burning of calories for two hours after workout. So, a combination of aerobic exercise and working with weights will provide the best results.