Alright, I'm 22 almost 23 and I have been never been officially diagnosed with anima but when ever my blood tests were run I was always at the minimum not to be anemic. Well over the last six months I have probably dropped about 40 or so pounds due to portion control and health diet... but I recently donated plasma to get some extra cash. The second time I went in my iron levels were 30 and they suggested I go buy some iron rich foods and supplements to boost my iron levels. I didn't think anything of it so I went out and got the supplements and took them as directed on the bottle.

Now I don't have medical insurance, I am actually on a 2 year waiting list to get state insurance but the likelyhood of me getting it is slim to none with our new Governor. I am really concerned because after I took the iron supplement with in an hours my stomach was in knots, which actually isn't uncommon for me as I suffer from IBS, but then I started to vomit and it was black... my whole body hurt and I felt like I was on death's door.

My mother, best friend and I all thought it must just be my stomach issues and I didn't have enough to buffer the pill. So the next day I ate a pretty decent sized breakfeast, then took the pill again. Now my stomach started to cramp again but I had taken a medication to prevent vomiting. So I just went about my day, went to work (I work on a cleaning crew so a lot of physical labor is involed) then at work last night I started to vomit again... and it was black again. I stuck out the rest of my shift as it was my first night and I didn't want to lose the job. I got home, had a pretty decent size glass of water because I felt so thirsty, then all of the sudden again with the vomiting, this time I broke out in a cold sweat and was shaking.

I honestly have never heard of being allergic to Iron, so it was not the first thing that came to my mind, but today I didn't take the iron supplement and I feel perfectly fine. I had all the allergy testing done as a child and there was never any mention to my parents that as a child I was allergic to Iron, only Iodine. So is this the type of allergy that more often crops up in adulthood?

I'm fairly concerned because the last thing I need is another pre-exsiting condition that's just going to make getting medical insurance all the more difficult. Not to mention the ramifications on my health, as I know this could be a sign of something far more serious or if this condition is something that runs in families? I don't have to money to go to the hospital or see a doctor, and honestly I am scared at this point after last night when I felt like I was going to die... has anyone with Iron allergy experiencing something like this? and if I do have an Iron Allergy what are some good, holistic ways to treat it?

LadyJane wrote:

I think it is that particular iron pill. How strong is it? For me, too much iron gives me diarrhea. Do you like liver and onions? That will boost your iron level.

I am 52 and I have been living with chron's  since 1989. Over time I have now been diagnosed as Allergic to iron. I suffered through many types of Iron pills which did not cause vomiting but did cause severe cramping and diarrhea within a couple hours after taking the iron supplements. I was given iron by I.V. developed hives and thank goodness I was on prednisone at the time went into aniphalactic shock but the predinsone kept the severity of the episode down. I have turned to trying to get iron through food but I am starting to think that the food is giving me hives that I get on occasion but did not know why I was getting them. I am writing here to see if anyone else is experiencing this strange set of symptoms also. Yesterday I had homemade mac and cheese with spinach my daughter made ( awesome cook) it is the only thing I could think of that would have given me the hives I experienced last night. Worst I have had so far. Anyway I will update my post when I learn anything else about this strange phenomenon.

I too break out in hives when I'm forced to take supplement iron while not bad as u though I'm glad to know im not the only one drs always look at my crazy when I say im allergic to that n cinnamon

Try Neferex.  It's a polysaccaride iron that is synthetic and people like us who are allergic to the ferrous gluconate and ferrous fumerate types do well on it.  It's more pricey and itsn't covered in Ontario but it does work.  You have to ask the pharmacist for it and the store will order it for you if it doesn't normally carry it.

I've been anemic all my life, and until about 30 years ago didn't realize that it was the iron they were giving me for anemia that was making me so violently sick. I too throw up black, grainy stuff, shake, sweat and nearly pass out. Apparently there is no "diagnosis" for iron allergies - every doctor I have talked to says it isn't possible... but I know what makes me sick and it's iron. I can eat red meat in small quantities, same with iron rich foods of all kinds... but if I eat too much I get the same result so it's not just the supplement for me. Hope you feel better!