Hi, I am allergic to most antibiotics, so when I get an infection it’s almost impossible to get a medicine for me. Even when I get a safe antibiotic, I always take it with fear of having allergy or side effects. Is there any other option for me, except antibiotics?

Antibiotics are easily and to frequently prescribed drugs. Generally, an antibiogram should be performed before prescribing an antibiotic. In your case special observation is needed in case of allergy reaction. But, there are other options like natural healing preparations with antibiotic properties. Garlic is famous as weapon against vampires, due to antibacterial and antifungal action. Essential oils of many herbs like sage, menthe, chamomile, melissa, eucalyptus all have antibiotic properties. There are OTC preparations based on herb essential oils in form of tablets, capsules, ointments, sprays. Oxygen sprays are very efficient in topical infections, especially because bacteria can not develop resistance toward oxygen.

Hi! i don't really have a response to your question, but i just wanted to pop on here and tell you i can completely empathize with you :/ the only antibiotic i know i can take is zithromax, anything else i have a reaction to, or it could just be a psychosomatic induced one because i'm in such fear of antibiotics too because the very first reaction i ever had was borderline anaphylactic (sp?):/

but that test mentioned above sounds like a great idea! i'll do it if you do it! best to you.

I too am allergic to every antibiotic I have taken. Sometimes it's on day 3 or day 7 but it always happens. I grew up taking penicillin all the time and now I can't take it. I'm always backed into a corner whenever I get sick. Doctors treat me like a leper and actually get pissed off because they don't know what to give me. It's truly very scary.

For the past two years I have had several serious infections. I have also become allergic to the last two antibiotics available to me. I now have what my medical team calls Multiple Drug Allergy Syndrome. I have been reviewed by three large Research Hospitals and have been told they have no treatment to offer. We are awaiting the Mayo Clinic in AZ to review my records and respond. We are searching for any research or information or simply hope anyone has to offer. Thank you.

I too am allergic to all antibiotics. New doctor is sending me to Jewish in Denver to see what they can do for me. I would be interested in what Mayo Clinic has to tell you and what assistance they could be.

I too am allergic to all meds. I have been so sick for 9 mos. trying to detox my body. ever medicine i have recieved has caused many problems. i also can not take no antibiotics. i am so scared i cry my self till i can't cry no more. i have perment damage in my nerves. no dr. will say its from the meds. i need to have an operation n more test. i can not do this i am drowning in a sea of turmoil with no where to go. so please if anyone has answers please let me know. any of the other posters if u get any responses back from the mayo. please let me know. i will check what ever i can do safely. but desparate. help help help

After reading all of the posts on this thread, it appears that what my wife
is going through, is not an unusual occurance!

My wife is severly alergic to just about ALL of the available antibitics
that are out there. She has a very severe lung infection, and has
just tried the ZYVOX antibiotic -- only to find out that she is ALSO
severely alergic to it!!!

Now, the pulmonary doctor says that he doesn't know where to
go from here - since my wife is severely alergic ALL of the available
antibiotics .. she has sulpher/sulphates alergies -- and this is the
kind of antibiotic that the doctor originally wanted to give her for
the lung infection. Nada!!

Isn't there SOME GOOD antibiotic that is out there that people
CAN take with good success??? It seems amazing that with all
of the progress in medicine today, that someone would be able
to help the people with the "Alergies to Antibotics"!!!!

Tiredofrx I hate to hear that you're going through a hard time with your wife but what she is experiencing is relatively rare. It's true that it feels at times like there should be serious advances in medicine, but you have to realize that they can't help everyone. Medicine can try to help as many people as possible but allergies to antibiotics are hard to deal with. Please keep us posted on how things go with her.

I too am severely allergic to all antibiotics! Although, I usually don't get reactions til about the 3 day. I have made many doctors mad and basically tell me that I am severly phobic to antibiotics. I have often questioned myself but one knows their body and its not a good feeling when the reactions start happening. If anyone can give me any good tips of where or what or who or what kind of doctor or clinic there is out there that specialize in this I would be forever greatful! I am frantically searching for help ... because I know there will come a day when i will really need medicine and not really sure what to do or what to tell my family to do in case of an emergency. Please help anyone.

I know your frustration. I developed an allergy to penicillin when I was about 5 yrs old. (I'm now 53.) Over the years, I have had many (2 to 6 per yr) sinus and ear infections and required antibiotics many times. During those years, I have used and developed allergies to Keflex, Ceftin, Ceclor, Erythromycin, Zithromax and most recently Sulfa. I've never had an extreme reaction, just skin rash, but my doctors have always immediately taken me off of the drug I was using. For the past 2 occurrences, my doctor has prescribed Levaquin, but in 2008, the FDA issued a warning advising that using Levaquin can increase your risk of tendonitis or tendon rupture (among other things). I try to fight off infections without antibiotics, but sometimes they just won't go away.

Jus waiting for the next breakthrough without devastating side effects...

I am at my wits end! Reading past posts is both supportive and discouraging at the same time. I am allergic to PNC, Ceclor,Ceftin, Keflex, Cipro, Clyndamycin (Cleocin), Erythromycin, Zythromycin and as of today, Sulfa. Past allergic reactions to these antibiotics has landed me in the hospital with anaphylatic reactions including pelvic edema, racing heart, low blood pressure, shortness of breath, confusion, migratory hives and the feeling of impending doom. I currently have a severe sinus/upper resp. infection and am on day 12 of being very ill. Two days ago I noticed my mouth, gums, writs, hands, fingers and muscles were extremely sore and painful only to find out that these are symptoms of sulpha allergy, the drug my doctor had just put me on and now has taken me off of. My doctors know I'm not "faking it" or suffering from some kind of Munchousen Syndrome because I've been sent to the hospital under emergency conditions. To make matters worse, I have some kind of primary immune deficency and get sick with bacterial infections frequently. I'm very frustrated because my doctors don't seem to know how to help me and there doesn't seem to be a discipline within medicine that treats multiple antibiotic allergies. I can't take homeopathic remedies either because my allergy history includes allergies to many other "substances" I come in contact with: trees, grasses, molds, mildew, animal fur and feathers, fragrances, LATEX..... Allergy and Immunolgy doctors don't seem any better equiped to treat this condition/disease/disorder, than internists, including mine. Has anyone heard of a doctor or hospital that treats or is doing research in this area of health care? Any information someone could provide would be grately appreciated. Infections + NO antibiotic = death.........or Infections + antibiotic + allergy to antibiotic = death. Neither is acceptable in this day and age but fear I'm close to it this time.

Sick and tired of being sick in Indiana

I also am allergic to all antibiotics. I know how frustrating it is when doctors do not believe you.
First you need to go to an allergist. Have them give you a paper that states you are allergic to them.
Cary it with you always.

I am being admitted to the hospital because I have a kidney infection. They are going to do a bladder wash, since I can not treat it,.
I get to have a wash wash my bladder and kidneys for three days straight to rid the infection. NOT looking forward to it.

If it was just a bladder infection, I have found oil or oregano, ( the real stuff) works, with taking lemon grass tea. I use Zinger brand that I order on amazon. It is lemon grass and ginger. It usually clears the urinary infection, and I can get them bad. These two things are the only thing that works. Oh and cococut milk will relieve the pain. You can find it in the multicultural food sections in the grocery store.

Dental infection, oil of oregano again. Kills the pain AND any abcess and infection, you put it on a cutip on the tooth, works for 6 hours.
It blocks pain to the nerve and will get rid of the worse abbcess in about 4 days. I am also allergic to novacain. Rare allergy, but true and tested allergy.

I am also allergic to all opiates, iodine, beta blockers, etc. These are true allergies, that are well documented. I have need multiple surgeries including gallbladder , and no one will touch me. They say I am high risk with my allergies. I live in pain from dislocations and
stenosis, again, needs surgery, no one touches it. I would love if someone can tell me pain remedies that actually work!

I am in Arizona but Mayo does not take my insurance,I wish they did as I have ehlers danlos and they are the only one in the county that has a treatment plan for it.

I know what you are all going through. I cry myself to sleep at night as there are no remedies for me. A severe infection could kill me.
Last time they had to give me an antibiotic I had severe seizures, and had no choice as it was the only one to rid that infection ( vanco)

I also had taken a lot of penicillin as a kid and wonder if that started this roller coaster. Drug allergies like this run in my family and I think there is a genetic link. I wish there was a study. I actually had a great grandfather die from a toe infection they could not treat.

Know you are all not alone. feel Free to email me, I know what you are going through.

Guest wrote:

This must be the new thing with doctors. When you are allergic or have reactions, again it is all in your head. I just left an emergency room because I feel the start of a UTI. But just a trace positive came back and they treated me like a looney toon. Especially because I am female. I hate doctors. The have become useless pieces of dirt. What a cushy job they have and I am so tired of their egos. Really when it comes down to it, it is all they really have. I think most of them have smoked a little too much dope in med school. I want the doctors back from the 70's that knew their stuff. This country is producing professionals like cattle and it is frightening. Especially for us who legitimately have allergies. I was told tonight that their is no hope for me and to stop seeing them for UTI's they can't treat. Is this our fault? They made me feel like a criminal or drug addict. I think criminals are treated better than us because they can't do anything for us. They certainly could make an H1N1 vaccine in a hurry that we did not need. How impressive was that. Now, they have a stockpile they can't get rid of. Wash your hands and stay out of crowds. That is what I did and I am immune suppressed. Explain that one to me. How did I not die during flu season being immune suppressed? Oh well, good luck to you and all on this site. Don't go to hospitals because you will probably end of with MRSA or some other staph infection due to their filth. Do everythng you can to stay healthy. Eat right, rest when tired and avoid doctors at all costs.

I, too, had to take penicillin a lot as a teenager, and in my fifties I became severely allergic to vancomycin, sulfa, and a bunch of others. They usually close my throat. Last year, Zithromax gave me very intense abdominal cramps with diarrhea the last time I had to take it. I really couldn't take the side effects for long, so I really can't take that one. So now what?

I have what I think is a sinus infection at the present time. Probably got it from a cold at the hospital. Our son was in a serious car accident a few weeks ago. (Normally I avoid hospitals, but because it was our son and he was in serious condition, naturally I went to be with him.) Anyway, the cold is gone but I'm left with a stiff neck and fatigue, plus pain and pressure just below my eyebrows and between my eyes. Bright light hurts and my eyes are red and small. It hurts to read or spend much time at the computer. I don't have congestion in my nose, however. I've had this occasionally for a day or two now and then, but this one is lasting longer.

I know that I can't have an antibiotic, but I'm a little concerned since I've had this for over a week. I'm a little concerned about getting something like cellulitis from the sinus problem, since that happened to me when I was younger. (Fortunately, at that time I could still take clindamycin as it was a dangerous case of cellulitis.) I just don't have the energy to do much now, and the neck stiffness and headache/pressure really wear me down. I do use a salt water nasal spray but it doesn't help a whole lot. I can't take Sudafed because I have a heart arrhythmia. Can't take NSAIDS or garlic because I have GERD (frequent heartburn). Can't take a lot of Tylenol because I have a high ferritin rate and somewhat elevated liver enzymes. Very frustrating. And I know many of you feel the same way.

I also have several medical conditions that I know will need to probably need to be fixed with surgery as I get older. The idea terrifies me because of the use of antibiotics for surgery. I'm now 67, and I feel so trapped. I try to avoid crowds, wash my hands a lot, etc., but I feel like I'm living in a bubble. And I know many of you feel the same way. I just want to enjoy my life now that I'm retired, but it's hard avoiding friends and family, not traveling or not going places where there are crowds.

I'm writing this in the hope that if anyone hears of a new antibiotic that I (and others here) could safely take, it will be posted here. I know how desperate and angry you all feel. I'm in the same position. We need real help here, and so far, no one seems to be listening.