New Reply New Topic Followed by 15 people

Hey everyone.

ok. well here's my story. yesterday i went to a party with a few of my friends. now, i've been drinking for a few years now. the first time i drank, i went right off to a bottle of smirnoff green apple twist vodka.. i drank way more than my body could take and i ended up blacking out and puking everywhere.

well ever since then, i've been trying to raise up my tolerance, but ive been starting slow. just been messing around with coolers and beers. but still, i wanted to go bak to the harder drinks.

so yesterday after about.. 2 years i tried it again. my friend, just so happens, had some Smirnoff green apple twist vodka (35%) . so whatd i do? i started drinking.

everything was fine.. until i needed to pee so i went to the bathroom. when i saw myself in the mirror tho, i was red. Really really red. obviously, being a small chinese girl it shows up on me more than others but, i noticed that it was Really red, and it wasnt only on my cheeks. the redness was on my forehead and even my chin! it formed a 'circle' around my face.. it was itchy too. it almost seemed like it was spreading o.O

thing is, i've drank vodka before, and other drinks, i.e. rum, coolers, beer but i've never had a reaction like that before! normally i get a bit pinkish, if that. im not allergic to anything, so i never get hives etc.

i hope that's enough information, i really need to know if i am allergic... i mean, it was unusual to say the least. man i looked like a dark red cheerio

please help guys and gals! big party coming up, and i wanna see what i'll be doing. i mean, i love vodka drinks and i hope it'll stay that way!

cheers --

Other than you being of Asian decent we had the exact same experience. I know that Asians lack a certain enzyme to break down alcohol. Well I'm a cacausian male and the same thing is happening to me, but only at random times....usually lowend vodka. I have no idea what to do. Honestly I do look like a freak. I feel pressure all throughout my head and very, very red! so what is it? I haven't found an answer either.

Hmmm...don't know what to tell you guy's other than your not the only one's w/ the problem. I have been a fairly regular drinker for a while until about 6 months ago. It seemed like everytime i had a drink (mostly strawberry vodka) my face would turn beat red...and it wasn't just my face.....i noticed bright red blochy spots all over my chest and back too. You would think that would be enough for me to stop but out of curiosity i tried a whiskey and yet again the same thing happened. I know everyone says alcohol allergies are rare but i can't help but wonder what is going on with the rest of us.....someone help!

Do a search on Oriental Flushing Syndrome or Asian Flush, also Asian Blush. Affects non-Asian as well.

well i went and had an allergy test maybe 2yrs ago and they told me i'm allergic to fermented alcohol. they later told me its only how the alcohol is processed so i may only be allergic to some types. needless to say at 20yrs old, i went out with my college roomates, bought 54 kinds of alcohol and over the course of a month saw what would flush out my face and give me a red chest.

it was only the cheap stuff! the natty ice's the miller high lifes etc. the high end stuff, corona's, blue moons, etc all left me just fine.

i am recently having problems with vodka though, feeling nauseous after only 1 drink etc. this is concerning : /

What is the asian flush?

wow, wrote this post over a year ago. but nevertheless glad it got some responses

better yet, know that im not the only one... to be honest, i thought that that sort of patching would only occur in people of asian descent.

its been a year or so, and i havent been drinking nearly as much as i have before. but even so, i do have the occasional parties, but the same occurence has not occured since.

that is a good thing i suppose.. i do recall however, that on that night with the '' explosion ' of red i did do ALOT of alcohal mixing. 8+ different types of drinks between 20-40% not including beers and coolers. im wondering if that might have factored into it? perhaps the case of vodka being in the mix is just a single factor, if that at all.

but in any case, if you guy have more info post it here.. i'll look up 'asian flush' quite curious..

Yeah, I know this tread is old, but... I started getting the same symptoms (Rash on face, face and ears burning) after drinking vodka at some time in 2003. I'd been drinking vodka for years before then without any problems. I have no idea how I could just become allergic to it after all those years of being fine with it. Soon after that I also found out that baileys had the same effect on me. All other drinks that I've tried, and I've tried a lot, don't produce the symptoms. I tried looking for information about it a while ago but I pretty much drew a blank.

Lately I've been getting hot flashes when ever I drink Vodka. last night was the worst. I drank two peach martinis and I was having hot flashes trough the night. I use to be a martini drinker and I never had this reaction. I figured I am having an allergic reaction to the vodka. I am hispanic.

Guest wrote:

Yeah it happens to me. Im caucasian and Im allergic to cheap vodka. We've got a cheap vodka in scotland called glen's that I cant drink because after 2 glasses I get really really hot and my face and neck go bright red then I get red blotches on my chest back and shoulders. My chest and head start to feel tight as well. I can drink smirnoff no problem though. I still blush a bit when I drink but nothing compared to when I drink cheap vodka, its like a full blown allergic reaction!

Similar to everyone else, I'm 25 and have consumed alcohol (sometimes in moderation, sometimes not) for years.

Just this year however I have most definitely acquired an allergy to Vodka, specifically. My face gets red and blotchy, my cheeks and ears feel very war and it becomes hard for me to take deep breaths.

At first I thought it was probably an issue with the quality but after sipping on grey goose and three olives, I have come to the conclusion it doesn't matter if it's Five O'Clock, Smirnoff or Grey Goose- I react to it. Some times worse than others but it's pretty much guaranteed if it has Vodka, then I'm going to react.

Staying away from liquors produced from grains, I have been a lot better off. MY stomach doesn't seem to get up set, and my buzz is a lot clearer- Doesn't affect my speech/motor skills, etc as severely. My liquor of choice now is Rums and Whiskeys.

My recommendation would be: Stay away from any pre-mixed beverages, anything which could contain grains (vodka and low shelf rum[rum only has to be 50% fruit, so the other half could still be grains]) and make sure you keep peeking in the mirror to ensure things are under control... Only thing worse than not being able to breathe is being inebriated and unable to breathe.

Hi everyone,

I know I'm really, really late with this post!
I have been researching allergic reactions to vodka for several months, because I think I am really allergic to it.
For the past seven years, I only order one drink when i go out to bars, parties, etc. It's always Cranberry + vodka. I usually have two drinks on any given outing, and that's it. My max is three drinks, and then I drink loads of water afterward. Anyhow, for the past several months, I've noticed that every time I drink my favorite drink, I get this weird reaction. I'm Black, so i don't get the red blotches on my skin (or i can't see them at least!), but I do get this weird feeling like all the blood is draining from my veins and my muscles are tightening in my legs and arms. My limbs feel like they're about to buckle. Less than a month ago, I had my usual with Absolut vodka, and I had the same feeling, I couldn't even stand up. I spent five hours in bed with a fleece hoodie, a pair of sweats, a Berkshire blanket and an alternative down comforter on me in 90 degree summer heat because I had chills. Those have been my symptoms. I hope people continue to share their experience with alcohol and vodka in particular.

Hi everyone,

Hey all, I am late with this post too.

I've been drinking martinis in moderation for 20 years now. I finally found a correlation between me waking up itchy and red eye'd the next day, and just having one drink . I used to drink the cheap stuff, (SKOL) and then, I tried high end, grape, soy, and potatoe vodka. I still have the same reaction.

I am allergic to Vodka.

All I can say this is this, for someone in their 40's and understands a little bit about how drugs work. Alcohol is a drug. And like all drugs, even prescription, your body is fine with it. But after a while, your body reacts to it, and the drug typically will turn on you. This is true with prescription drugs, for high blood pressure, asthma, diet drugs, as well as other types of drugs. Over the years, I 've weaned myself from going to the doctor in case I had something for this very reason. I've had asthma all my life, and the drugs would work for a time, only to turn on my body later! Thats why doctors always play musical drugs, and have you switching all the time.

I've gotten over my pretty much all my health issues naturally, except I do like to drink and go out to bars. Martini's are my drinks. But I guess, martini's have turned on me too.

Given my allergic history, I am shocked that I did not get asthma or hives from it. just puffy red itchy eyes like I came in contact in rag weed.

If you are having an allergic reaction to a drink that was OK before, this is your body telling you that the drug is no longer tolerated, and unfortunately, you have to stop drinking it.

I am fine with wine however. I miss my martini's though.

I used to drink vodka like crazy. heaven hills, tvarski, smirinoff, anything I could get my hands on. and once I got a job I started drinking more expensively, like grey goose. well now everytime i drink the cheap stuff again, my face gets really red blotchy spots and my chin has a rash that's dry looking and sometimes itchy. idk if it's my bodies way of telling me to go back to the more expensive stuff, or if something really is wrong with me. HELP!