New Reply New Topic Followed by 11 people

Currently writing a book about Ambien Addiction (Zoldipem) After struggling with this drug for years, I am now writing about it. I am looking for others who are willing to share their own personal stories to include in my book. I am sincere and easy to work with. Completely confidential. Names will be changed to protect identity.

**edited by moderator**

Hi...I just recently started doing my own research on ambien addiction and I came across your post. I would be more than happy to share my own experience with Ambien, as I was addicted for 8 years and due to an intervention, I was sent to an impatient rehab for 31 days. If you are still interested in some personal experiences, please let me know!

I've been taken ambein for 10 yrs 2 a night I'm willing to talk more if you want

what did they do at the treatment center? Ween you off? Can you share details?

came across this post. I have many stories to share. Mostly involving alcohol and ambien usage. Bizarre behaviors, scary hookups, etc. This is a bizarre drug. And leads to bizarre, wacky, out of character behavior. People don't believe that I honestly do not remember my erratic behaviors. To make light of all the sh*t, I want to write a blog too!

ambienaddiction wrote:

**edited by moderator**

I have been on and off addicted to Ambien for several years. It al started when I was only sixteen. I would be glad to help.

I have taken ambien for the last 6 years. What started as a miracle drug has turned into a nightmare. I've always had trouble sleeping, and ambien put me right to sleep. Then it took 2 pills to put me to sleep, then 3, etc. Then I tried to stop (after about 2 years) and went 8 days with no sleep. Then back on. My use has skyrocketed to 5-8 pills a night (50-80 mg). No getting "high", I just sleep. One Dr. I consulted said I was not an "addict" because I took the drug for its' intended purpose, i.e., sleep. This is bullsh**t. I am an addict. I cannot go to sleep without Ambien. Tried to stop several times with same result, even for longer periods - longest was 14 days with no ambien and no sleep. The negative effects of this drug on my personal and professional life were and remain high. I am going to finally try to withdraw after visiting a Dr who said cut down gradually ,e.g., .5 mg a week and expect at least 2 months of no sleep. TWO MONTHS?? OK, I am determined to withdraw and will go through this hell to do it. I found this site today, and it seems like a godsend. I'm interested in any advice, support or warnings. I'm also interested in sharing my story, especiaslly if it can stop others from addiction and warn Doctors about this drug. How do I do it off this post site? Thanks.

Just wanted to lob in a quick post to give those stopping through a little hope. I was addicted a user of ambien for about 10 years and addiction for the latter half of that. Bottomed out at 2, often 3 a night. When I didn't take it or if I was out I was consumed by fear heading into the night. This was followed by miserable nights of sleep and horrifying nightmares. When I did take it I felt like garbage the next day- hazy, lack of confidence, guilt. Then the only way to run away from that guilt- to escape it, however briefly - was to do the same thing the night. Obviously a troublesome cycle. During the addiction phase I did a lot of embarassing stuff in the loopiness phases. Scared some people, confused a lot of others, and generally just acted like an id**t. All stuff i'm sure the people reading this can relate to. The catalyst to quit was an increasingly serious relationship coinciding with a bout of self-reflection/honesty where I realized a couple things. 1. Clearly, you can't do this for the rest of your life because usage has only increased since you started, and god if it keeps getting worse how does it end? 2. Its only going to get more difficult to quit. 3. You're wasting some of the limited time you have in this life. 4. There are millions of people in the world who have overcome an addiction, and almost every single one of them will tell you their life is better on the flip side - at some point you just have to trust those people. Right? By the transitive property.... 1 + 2+ 3 + 4 = just f'ing quit already and move on with your life.

So how did I do it?

1. Asked for the help of my girlfriend. if you don't have someone around to help, don't worry. This was actually less important than it might seem. Also, asking a friend or family member to chat with you for 5 minutes a night, during the time of the night when you're thinking "jesus i'm bored/empty, I really wish I could take an ambien".

2. Washed the pills down the toilet, called my doctor and told him not to prescribe the drug to me anymore. You probably just read that and thought "oh boy...i'm not sure i'm ready for that. That scares the c**p out of me." Yup. Gotta do it. Be honest with yourself. How many times have you told yourself "OK you are NOT taking am ambien tonight!" only to take one or more? That's why you have to commit. Sorry to be the one to break it to you.

3. I asked my doctor for something that would at least help me get some sleep in lieu of the ambien. He said he had the perfect thing- Trazodone. Its an old school sedative that was used as an anti-depressent in the 1960's. Worked like a charm for me. The psychological emptiness and boredom didn't go away (I still very much missed taking ambien, throwing back a couple drinks, in a pre-bed escape-binge), BUT the terrifying nights of ambienless sleep were substantially toned down and tolerable. The drug had no side effects for me. Its non-addictive. Its cheap. Ask your doc....it was the thing that got me over the hump.

4. Appreciation for the times of the day where you feel better. While I was coming out of it, I made sure that every morning (and through most of the day) I made note of how much better I was feeling than during the ambien years. Think about it....ambien makes you feel better for about 10% of the day, and then worse for 90% of the day. When you're off it, you will be very surprised at how many parts of your life start to feel good where they did not before. And this will happen quickly.... like, a week. Once you start noticing that, the light at the end of the tunnel seems near, and then its just a race for freedom from this strange and addictive drug.

Been off it for 6 months. I had one small relapse at the 1 month mark when in a weak moment I stole a couple pills from a friend. In an odd and encouraging episode, I took the pills on a night when my girlfriend was out of town and vomited all over my living room. My body rejected it. Or maybe my mind rejected it. How awesome is that?

I still think about it from time to time, especially after long days- be lying if I said I didn't. But its not the hole in my life that I feared it would be. You don't replace it with anything (thats what I thought I would have to do, some sort of 1-1 replacement). You just get an hour or two back in your day to do.....well....whatever. Its a good thing.

You'll be allright. Takes a bit of will power, some courage, and a decent friend, but its breakable. Good luck.

Hi Everyone I would like to share my ambien Experience with you all.

I too was addicted to ambien for 5 years. It started with sleepless nights, tossing and turning through out the night and horrible nightmares. So i started taking 1 ambien 10mg every night and it felt great at least for the first six months. Gradually i increased to two then three . Of course i experienced all the wackiness that comes with the drug. The eating at night, driving, falling asleep in the shower, etc and not remembering a thing. I also became very depressed and aggressive. I would have to give my sister the rest of the other pills to keep because i would wake up in the middle of the night and take them all without knowing what i am doing. which can lead to overdose

Most importantly i wanted to share with you is that at some point may be in the third year of taking ambien i decided to stick with taking just one every night and not to increase the dosage at all even though i went from falling asleep in 5 mins to falling asleep in 30 mins as the time progresses, Which i believe is the key to taking ambien. When i decided to stop taking ambien i thought it would be terrible because i read so many stories but for me it was different , The first night i did not take it i felt bad through out the night, My eyes were very dry and so was my mouth, i felt as though there were bugs crawling all over me which made me feel itchy and i did not fell asleep until 9 am for 4 hours. The next night i was awake the whole night without the dry eyes and mouth and itchy feeling and i fell asleep about the same time and woke up in 4 hours the third day was normal since then i have never taken ambien to sleep and trust me its going to stay that way.

Hope this helps

My husband drinks 2 beers during dinner, drinks 2 whiskey and sodas after, takes Ambien at 10pm, while taking Effexor 150mg. 15 minutes later he enters a very weird state. pawing me in bed, talking crazy, sometime getting up to eat ice cream in his underwear while people are still in the living room! He sits with them, chatting away like it's nothing out of the ordinary as ice cream slops down his belly... he has no memory of these episodes.

ambienaddiction wrote:

**edited by moderator**

I am responding regarding my wife who just went into rehab for an ambien addiction of 10 years. I'm hopeful she'll get clean but not to diminish the others who've posted but my wife was taking on average 20-30 pills a day for years and recently was taking 60-90 in a 24 hour period. No, it's not a misprint. She's been in detox several times with no success but she finally agreed to go to rehab after our kids decided they didn't want anything to do with her. If you would like more information please let me know because I have yet to scratch the surface.

Ive been taking ambien for 3 years 10 mg. I have jaw & neck pain & headaches can you go in patient and do you know anywhere in NJ?
Thanks,
Deb M NJ

Ive been taking ambien for 3 years any information you have to offer would be of great help.
thanks,
deb

Hello Deb M. I too was adidcted for over 2 years. Failed rehab after nearly OD, to many days and nights that i could not remember pushed me to the breaking point. I started a OP detox program under the supervision of a physician of Librum and clonopin... Forgive me if the spelling is not correct...This 10 day taper off regime, helped me thru the initial crisis of detox. Sleep was not great for about 7 days, each day it got better and better!!! I have changed many things in my life, faith first!!! Here is my recipe for sucess..
Faith!!!!!!
Exercise ( i work out daily believe me it helps is so many ways)
NOXITROPIN pm Natural Sleep aid ( fruit punch flavor drink) Non- habit forming, Google it and read about it ...IT WORKS

Its not easy, just gonna have to get tough and get started on your recovery...

I have been addicted to Ambien for 13years reaching a dose of 60mg a night. I never got high or did any of the crazy things - I just used it for sleep. Initially I took 10mgs but gradually developed tolerance to that dose and just kept increasing. I dosed before bed and 3 hours later. In Sept 2011 I admitted myself to a rehab for detox. The programme was 28days but after 21 nights straight of ZERO sleep I was a basket case and when the rehab thought they were going to have a corpse on their premises they transferred me to a Psych hospital. Three weeks later I came out polidrugged and totally demoralised. I immediatly stopped all drugs and went back on Ambien but only 20mgs. That was in December. I am very slowly tapering off this at 5 -10% every 14 - 21days. I know this rate might sound rediculous to some but I am now at 11mgs but I am sleeping at night and am functioning well in the day. I work and have children to care for so while I am determined to get off Ambien I am also determined to keep living normally.