Hi everyone, I just have a question if anyone can help me? Even though I went for my first post op check up yesterday (I'm 27 days post op), I still am having a lot of pain... Is it possible to get a anal fissure after this surgery? I did pass some large impactions 2 weeks after my surgery, so I was just wondering if this is possible? My doctor could not really do a rectal exam on me yesterday due to my pain and I guess I'm still swollen on the outside... I had very large internal and externals cut during my surgery... Can the doctor tell if I have a fissure by just looking on the outside of my rectum? All he did was basically spread my butt cheeks apart and that was it... He's got me on 3 pills of antibiotics to take for a whole month... So I just did not know if I could have a fissure and just not know it????? Has anyone ever had this experience before? Thanks so much for all your help... Its just nice to hear other people's experience and put my mind at ease... What did the doctor do for all of your post op appts? Did the doctor look on the inside or just the outside? Just wondering? Thanks again... Please keep me posted if anyone has a answer for me... ?

I forgot to inform you that I have to take 3 pills a day for a whole month of my antibiotics which I started yesterday.. Thanks again...

Hello. I'm so sorry about your impactions.

And yes, I think it's completely possible to get an anal fissure after you have such a serious hemorrhoidectomy. Your bum is so swollen, I don't know how any person is suppose to pass a bm, let alone when you have it to the extent you did.

I went back in at 1 week....basically told my doctor that I needed to be seen because I was so scared that I had an anal fissure. She did not check inside, but pulled my cheeks apart so bad, that I wanted to cry. She pulled right up close to the anus and looked around for awhile. Apparently it was not an anal fissure, it was just tissue that came down on the outside, almost felt like a flap of skin, really thin like. Anyway, I popped a stitch because of that first traumatic bm..... and that tissue must have been part of the stitches or something??? I'm kind of confused, but anyway...she said no anal fissure that she could see and the flap of skin will heal. No, she did not stick her finger in there....would have been way to painful.

I'm so sorry for you pain. Stay on those antibiotics, stool softeners and lots of water and fiber.

Good luck to you.

Thank you sheek for responding back to me so quickly! How many days post op are you anyways? I'm really sorry to hear about your painful recovery as well... I don't know if tore a stitch or not he did not say? I just did not think it was normal that I'm still in so much pain and even can't sit down but for a few minutes still... But he assured me that I'm healing, just slowly and its normal for some people to still be in pain... He said everyone heals differently... which I already knew but just listening to some other people, they are back to work and exercising, etc.. I sure hope you get to feeling better too... This is a awful surgery to have and a terrible recovery for anyone to go through... At least I have more of a peace of mind now! Thank you soooo much for responding to me.. and please keep me updated on your recovery... Take care :-)

Hey there.

Um, I am 1 week and 4 days... almost a week and a half. I feel a lot better. Yesterday was the first day that my bm's were not crippling afterwards....a little pain while having it, but virtually no pain after my bm's....so I know I must be healing.

I am very active and haven't played softball or worked out since the wednesday before my surgery. I'm gonna' try to play softball this coming Monday. That will be about 2 weeks and 3 days post op. I'm not sure about running around the bases though.....I'm gonna' go try and bat and field some balls this weekend, see how I feel. Besides softball, I guess I will try working out/walking the following week, around week 3 and hope to be back into my groove around 4 or 5 weeks post-partum.

I'm searching for a doc now that does the hemorrhoidlysis....zapping out internal hemorrhoids (not sure I have them, but am about 90% sure I do) with a uv light, virtually painfree...takes about 3-5 visits to get rid of all of them and the success rate is very high.

Anyway, keep me updated on your recovery too.
Take care.

Hey sheek,
I know you are in pain and I'm so sorry... It sure seems like you are doing a lot better than me and I'm almost 4 weeks post op... Thats why I'm getting so discouraged, I know we all have different bodies and we all heal differently but I just wonder what I did or what I'm doing wrong but I look at my post op papers, went to the doctor and I'm doing everything I'm supposed to be doing. I just get frustrated I guess... My BM's are soft but it still feels like all my stitches are being ripped out and like I'm passing glass and I sweat from going to the bathroom.... I just don't get it? I'm taking my antibiotics though, maybe he thought I am developing an infection? Who knows? I just want to be active again! I want to just take a walk without being in so much pain.. I guess we take these small things for granted huh? Be careful playing softball.... Yeah, don't run the bases... Ha ha... You can cheat, they will understand... LOL... Just have fun and take care of yourself.. You sound like you are doing really good...

I don't know much about the new procedure? My doctor just cut my large internal out along with the external... He said he does laser to internal only in his office but since I had external too, he cut all of them out in the hospital... Ouch! I would take the pain free method anytime!!!! Keep me posted what you decide to do.. I'm just curious to know.... Also let me know how you are recovering..... Thank you for taking the time to write to me, I really appreciate it! Take care...

Hey there.

I feel a lot better, but the area still feels sore and a little uncomfortable. My bm's are getting better though. I have the stretching feeling too when the bm passes, but not the spasming and awful pain afterwards. Did I say that I pulled my stitches out? I thought my doc would put dissolvable stiches in, instead.... I was applying lidocaine on Sunday after a bm and felt a long string. Not to be gross, but I thought it was just hair from my head, so I just wiped and kind of pulled a tiny bit with the tissue and out it came. I called the doc's office and they said if you feel fine and no discharge, than it should be okay. I feel weird now that maybe it's not all stitched up? I popped a stitch I know.... atleast that's what she said to me, and I have this weird tissue sticking out now. Not a hemi, just a flap of skin. No idea what's going on, but my next appt is not until the 29th.

I am not a doc, but I would bet money that your recovery is a bit harder because he took your internal hemi's too. I only had one thrombosed hemmorhoid removed, which of course goes inside the rectum a tiny bit, but I don't think my doc even looked inside at all during the procedure, which conerns me greatly. Like I said, I'm going to get a second opinion with a few docs once I recover fully and find out what other doc's can do and what the best option would be for me. My sister in law actually had the hemorrhoidlysis done at a vein center. It was outpatient, she had a few visits and that was it......mostly pain free and that was 7 or 8 years ago, and she has never had a recurrence with them. It is also fairly reasonable in cost, about 1/3 of the cost of a hemorrhoidectomy. I think you can read about it on here in the info tab....

But all in all, I'm doing okay. I can sit normally, walk around..do my normal stuff. The one thing I'm worried about it, in talking with my mom and sisters is that I've come to find out that my family has a history of bad circulation or bad circulatory problems. I didn't really know that- and I'm wondering if that is playing a part in my hemi's. Also, I have a lot of leg, hip and foot pain in both legs. I feel completely exhausted at night, and it's not just from the surgery. This has been going on for about a year. I haven't even been working out in the past 2 weeks and on most evenings, my entire body feels like I've run a marathon literally. I just ache from my hips down. I see those commercials about leg pain and veins and I'm starting to put things together now that there might be some greater issues going on here. I just wish more people would respond to these threads. Maybe I can post this question.

Anyway, got to run. Keep me posted as you recover.....
Take care.

Hi Sheek,
I'm glad to hear you are feeling a little better today... I sure hope you heal ok with that flap of skin you say you have... Wow pulled out a stitch... Ouch.... I did not even ask my doc what type of stitches he put in. I just have been in so much pain, I forgot to ask... And I can't see down there, so who knows?
I'm just wondering why your doctor did not look to see if you had any internal hemorrhoids? I went to a rectal surgeon and he did a good exam (Ouch) and found out about mine. Then the day before surgery, I had to go through a colonoscopy (human torture) I was awake and it was terrible. The meds were not strong enough for me... But he wanted to do this procedure to make sure nothing else was going on... He did remove a couple of polyps and that was it. Then I had surgery the next day.. Needless to say, I've lost about 10 pounds since my surgery, because I was on liquid diets and cleaning my entire colon out a couple of times, once because of the colonoscopy, then 10 days post op because I did not have a BM for 10 days.... It was awful cleaning myself out after the surgery as you could imagine... and then 2 days after that is when I passed those huge impactions I told you about... Thats why I thought I gave myself a anal fissure...
I would truely go for a second opinion also if I was you, just to be sure about your options... I would go for the more pain-free route too if I had a choice in the matter. Unfortunely my doctor only did the cutting on my internal and external. The doctor did not tell me how much pain I would be in and I did not realize it would be this bad. I don't know if I'd do it all over again to be honest because of all my problems I've had but like I said, I'm not healed yet and I'm still recovering, so of course I'm looking towards the negative right now. But when I do heal completely and if my hemorrhoids don't come back, I could then say, I'm really happy I had it done! Also, I would tell your doctor about your family history with the circulation problems as well... Just to be on the safe side!
You take care and get some rest! Keep me updated!

Hi everyone. Its me again. I just wanted to let you know that I am now 7 weeks post op from my hemorrhoidectomy and I went for my 2nd post op appointment yesterday and I do indeed have a anal fissure and the doctor has to put me under again tomorrow (Wed) for surgery. I guess it can't heal on its own and every time I have a BM (which is at least once or twice a day), it reopens it and I'm in a lot of pain. So I was convinced I had a fissure because I was not healing as fast and I am in constant pain, he now can see the tear.... I'm very nervous about having surgery again... This surgeon says this does happen sometimes but its rare that he has to do surgery on them (the fissure) because it usually can heal on its own. But I of all people have to be the small percent of people who have to undergo this surgery. He really does not want to do this surgery so soon after my hemorrhoidectomy but at this point, he said I will not get any better until this problem is fixed... So please pray for me! And again thank you everyone for your time and kind words and helping me through this awful time....

Dear 3lovelykiddos, So sorry to hear about all of the problems and pain you have been having. I'm concerned that you are 7 weeks post-op before your dr.even realizes you have a problem, especially since you discussed the possibility of a fissure. If you continue to have problems after your upcoming proceedure I would suggest you find a more compassionate dr. Please keep us posted. We wish you luck and hope things go well for you.

Dc... Thank you for writing back to me.. I feel the same way you do about that... The doctor wanted to see me 2 weeks post op, the office did not get me in until 4 weeks post op, I was still in a large amount of pain and swollen (I had very large internal and bad external hemorrhoids cut out during surgery), so he really could not do a good exam, so maybe he just could not see it? I don't know? I don't want to question it because he is a very good rectal surgeon but I'm upset I have to go through surgery again. He kept apoligizing to me that I have to go through this again, he says its rare that he has to do surgery on a fissure after a hemorrhoidectomy but in my case, it won't heal itself, I guess I had tissue that shrunk after the surgery and I passed large impactions 2 weeks post op and thats what caused the fissure... So now everytime I have a BM, its irritating the fissure and causing me a lot of pain and I'm still not healed from my hemorrhoidectomy... So of course I have to be one of the rare cases. >:( .. He says he has done this surgery (fissure) times before, so I guess he just has to make me a little opening, so I don't constantly rip myself during BM's? I just put my faith in God... I hope everything goes ok with me too... I will keep you all updated... Thanks so much for caring..

Hi everyone.. well I am updating everybody with this second surgery I had, its under the having surgery 7 weeks post op from a hemorrhoidectomy.. I had got a fissure after my hemorrhoidectomy that was perfomed on May 20th.. I was not healing properly and was in constant pain and bleeding with clots during my BM's.. So I went for my second post op appointment and the rectal surgeon saw where I tore ( a fissure) and where it was located, I guess it can't heal on its own because every time I would have a BM, I would tear it more and irritate it... So the doctor said its rare he has to do this type of surgery after a hemorrhoidectomy (because usually fissures heal on their own) but in my case I could not heal... So I went in for my fissure surgery July 15th and I'm still healing.... Yes it still burns when I have a BM and I still can't sit but a few minutes on my donut pillow but hopefully this will be the road to recovery for me... Thank you everyone for all your kind words and I hope you all heal quickly.... :-D

Thanks for sharing your story, I wondered how you're doing after the second surgery? Did it heal completely? Have you had further tearing? I am almost five weeks post-op from a hemorrhoidectomy and I'm convinced I have a fissure. It feels like I am passing glass every time I have a bm, but when I look they're perfect Bristol 4s. It seems like the amount of pain I have is incredibly disproportionate to what should be expected...I have my follow up tomorrow and I'm so worried about the prospect of another surgery.

I'm experiencing something similar - the bm's are painful but it's the recovery afterwards that hurts the most. For 5 hours afterwards I am in terrible pain. My external hemorrhoidectomy was 2 weeks ago; the surgical site itself is feeling pretty good, but there is a spot inside and on the opposite"wall" of my rectum where I feel something like a paper cut, and it gets terrible after bm's. What did your Dr say when you went back? I hope you are doing better now.

I am 6 weeks post op and I can't believe how sore it has been. At my 4 week post op visit when I described how terrible I felt after passing a bm that I justed wanted to go back to bed for 2 hours, sweating when I passed a bm, how I still could not sit comfortably, and generally I just felt terrible and very tired, it was discovered that I have a fissure. No infection but what looks like an ulcer. I have been advised that if the fissure doesn't heal with Rectogesic ointment then it will require a Botox injection.