I had hemorrhoidectomy done 5 weeks ago. Have I known the pain was gonna be that intense I would have never done it and I dont' recommend that surgery to anyone unless it's the only thing that stands between you and death. After 5 weeks of pain, constipation and discomfort I am still unable to have a normal bowel movement without pain. Can't go back to work yet because I can't sit down for no more than 20 mins. My stools are as big as my pinky. My doctor told me I am having anal stenosis and I would need a dilation. He prescribed me lidocaine and gave me a dilator to use 2x a day for 2 weeks to stretch out my anal canal and if no progress, I would need to have surgery again to cut the muscles. I have been using the dilator for 4 days now and I am not able to get through 5 centimers of it. I am still in pain from the first surgery and I am afraid the second surgery would make things even worse. If anyone had to have a second surgery done, Can you inform me of the outcomes and wether the pain is as bad as the first one?

I am thinking about getting this surgery. In the end, is it worth it?

Hey Incognito,

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are going through. I have a question: Did you prepare yourself for the surgery? Like, did you get yourself on a high fiber diet and try different combinations of food to get your stools soft, but formed with a little thickness to it? It is important to do that if you havent. I have been reading up on this forum, and other forum about how to prepare yourself and that is one of the main things people talk about. I would link the other forum, but that is against this websites rules. But yea, this is something you need to have done before the surgery and kept a log of what you eat. Then once you come out of surgery and are back home, eat what you have logged and try to get yourself back to having the same types of stools. I wouls say now is better than never. Keep using the dialator and try slowly eating more foods that will give you more form in your stools, like gram crackers and such.

Hope everything goes well for you. Keep us updated! Praying for u.

I am in that same boat.  It has been 5 weeks today since my hemorrhoidectomy, I had three external removed, and I still can't go to the bathroom without wanting to scream.  I am having more bleeding today than I ever did before the procedure.  I go back to my surgeon in one week for my follow-up.  I have been to urgent care twice because she is never there for me to see.  I have had skin breakdown in the perineum and forward due to the horrible things going on.  I have been taking my stool softeners, drinking fiber and pretty much fearing food. 

Hi Monkeys Mama, I just read your post, I am interested on how you are now as I am 10 weeks post op and I am still having problems, I rang my specialist and I have another appointment with him in a weeks time. I am quite worried about the bleeding and pain. This should have stopped by now. I have had this done before so I know that there is something wrong this time. Anyway I do hope your feeling better.

I am 8 days out of having hemorrhoidectomy and sphinterotomy, due to fissure. If I knew this was what lied ahead of me I would NOT have done this. It has been miserable and keeps getting worse. Unless your condition is completely unbearable I suggest against surgery.

November of 2011, I had hemorrhoidectomy.   Most painful experience of my life.   Two months later, they went back in to clean up some wounds which would not heal.

Doctors never told me about dilation or Anal Stenosis even though I have seen 4 separate doctors.   Basically, they keep telling me that my inability to pass stools well is in my head.  In fact, they have me set up to do Bio Feedback work starting next week.

Most of the time, my stools are dime sized, rarely about the size of a quarter.   Fiber supplement every night around dinner has helped, but every day is a little different.  Some times, only very skinny little streams can come out and it feel like a sharp pain just inside the rectum when this happens.  I have been thinking that there is an internal fistula there, as it is the only thing that makes sense to what I feel.  I have heard that a fistula can look like a hemorrhoid.   

I found a Practice in Portland, OR where they treat this, but the Doc is not a true Doctor.   He has chiropractor license, but worked under an anal surgeon for many years.  I kinda like the guy, talking to him on the phone, he suggested that some manual dilation might help with the likely scar tissue.  I got a set of 5 Klystra plastic dilators and will try soon.

So, anyone had anything similar and find a way back to comfort?   I might skip the bio feedback sh*t, does not sound good to me.  I am considering seeing the Doc (Dr. Cranford) in Portland, he has a dilation technique that he says works much better than the self dilation, but it scared me that he is not a true Dr.  I asked him for referral patients with my issue, but he said he could not do that, there are laws protecting the patients.

So, any help with any of the above would be greatly appreciated.   

TheyAreInDenial wrote:

Self Dilation has helped a great deal. I bought a dilator set online and take a hot bath, use some 5% lidocane and then do the nasty deed. Anything to make BMs easier and yes, having some success. My stools have gotten bigger and are now quarter sized, so am getting more optimistic.

Before seeking some of the counter medical or quasi medical treatments, give this a try. I am not sure if I am past the hump, but have had the first taste of improvement in many months since my surgery was Nov. 11, 2011. Wow, just a couple days till a year. Not sure if my original login will be noted here, but I was TheyAreInDenial.

INCOGNITO wrote:

My surgen did not cute into the muscles only the scare tissue. But as much as I would like to tell you it gets better. That has not happened to me. I am now going to another surgen for a second opinion. You may want to do the same.

well I had my hemorrhoidectomy sept 4th then on the 12th I went back to hospital for internal bleeding. It was so bad I could not walk more then a few feet without almost passing out. hen in Oct i went in for stenois surgery. They cute into the scar tissue that was causing the narrowing. went to that follow up just to be told I had to do the stenoises surgery again. now one day after round two I am in more pain then after the first one and incogont. I asked about thiat being a complication and was told no that they wre not going into the muscle so that would not happen. Well Not So Sure now. My doc has not done an exam on me except for one time and that was it. I asked if it was done during the last stenois surgery and was told that it had not. even after I had to go back to hopital for internal bleeding a week after the hemorrhoidectomy. well the first stenoises surgery I was in and out in 15 minutes. this time it took 1 hour. I am in more pain and bleeding then last time and I am incognet. I am hopping that it goes a way but not holding out much hope at this point. The Doc said every thing llked fine when she did the exam but what took 45 extra minutes and why am I having more trouble after thes second one? anyone have some input?? 

I had hemorrhoid surgery in 2005. Becasue the doctor cut out too much muscle tissue I am still suffering from anal fissures and daily pain. If you can avoid it don't do the surgery--you never know if an intern perfomed it and then when it's badly done as in my case you have to live with it forever (or at least until you croak). Unfortunately there are very few good doctors out there with the morality to perform good surgery.

I think LIS is one of the treatment options, I read stories that it helped to some of sufferees.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

my surgery was over a year a go and still having problem with stenious .i have bought a set of dilator and going to give those a try befor i try surgery again. will post again if it helps

I got my stenosis fixed with dilation under anesthesia. It took 3 times. I'm still not back to normal though, and my hemorrhoud surgery was 1.5 years ago. Now I have pelvic floor dysfunction, meaning that my muscles aren't working right so it's difficult to have a BM. I start physical therapy using biofeedback next week. I wonder if I'll be on stool softeners for the rest of my life.

I've had two hemorrhoidectomies. Honestly, my bum looked so abnormal before -- I was willing to endure any pain to get it to look normal. Unfortunatly, despite the agony, I still have "tag" the surgeons did not want to mess with BUT it definitely looks better than before. I still think it was worth it. However, it's been seven months since my last surgery and I still hurt and bleed during every bowel movement. I'm assuming I have narrowing because of all the incision swelling. Hoping it will go away with time....