What are the differences between skin allergic reaction and angioedema? What are the causal agents of angioedema? Is treatment same in both cases of swelling? My sister has several times had severe swelling of lips and face that she could not say what triggered it. That swelling used to last several hours and is associated with congestion and sneezing. My mom says that it is not hereditary disease in our family.

Angioedema and urticaria are very similar, but usually urticaria is less severe. Urticaria affects skin only, and angioedema affects lips and eyelids, just as you said. Angioedema can be caused by allergen and may be idiopathic, without known causal agent. It is treated with antihistamines, like allergies and with corticosteroids. These drugs reduce swelling and inflammation. It can be hereditary, acute, chronic and idiopathic but mechanism is the same.

I have had nasal congestion for several months. Lately I have experienced lip swelling. I have read about angioedema. How can this be diagnosed? Is it serious? Could it be thyroid related? I was diagnosed with Graves Disease about 10 years ago, was treated and have not had a reoccurence since.

I am scheduled for a CT scan and allergy test.