A friend of mine was diagnosed angioedema and that suppose to be something like allergic reaction, but with more severe symptoms. I would like to get better explanation about this disease. How does it affect people and how is it treated? He had swollen face when I saw him, and that seemed to me like he needed emergent help. Is angioedema life threatened and how dangerous can it be? Thanks in advance.

It is very often life threatened disease. I saw my cousin that had lips like sausages and breathed difficulty when had some kind of attack caused by angioedema. It was horrible.
But angioedema also may be acute, that happens once and does not keep reappearing.
Chronic angioedema is an idiopathic disease, which means that causal agent is not known. Some medications and food may cause increased swelling too; even aspirin may cause that reaction. Tranexamic acid and epsilon aminocaproic acid are used in treatment of some symptoms of angioedema. Treatment is in fact similar in many ways to treatment of urticaria.