Well, I've had anxiety since about 6th grade. I get anxious when I have to be up in front of people, meet new people, or go places where there are a lot of people (The mall, crowded resturants I avoid purposely... etc) Recently it's gotten better, in some ways, and in other ways worse. I used to avoid eye contact at all times and now most of the times I make eye contact. I think i have this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Anxiety_Disorder. Social Anxiety disorder. It reached a fever pitch when I had to take woodshop in high school to graduate for an entire semester (6 months if I recall) The reason woodshop made me anxious is because i generally dislike loud things and never had much experience with tools and didnt want to look like an id**t asking how to use them. I began feeling disconnected, like I wasn't in full control of my actions, like sometimes my brain/mouth connection was screwed up, I'd say things before I'd think. I have enormous amounts of self-control (perhaps too much...) due to my anxiety and feeling like I don't have control is awful. Like things were happening around me and I wasn't really there, or listening... almost like zoning out permanently but still being alive because I passed the class and did fine but the "depersonalization" feeling, that I found after some research, seems to match me and it occurs in anxiety patients. Never been to the doctor/psychologist for my anxiety issues. Graduation was another time my anxiety hit a climax, because I had to stand in front of my whole class/teachers/etc, shake 3 hands, get my diploma and get off the stage. I pulled through that as well, I still have that feeling of not being in full control of my actions. My mother actually also has anxiety issues (panic attacks, not from social situations but from other things) and has Xanax prescribed to her, and she gave me a half of a 0.25mg pill to see if it would help me and it did, although I think a whole one would have helped more... However, the depersonalization feeling didnt go away when I was on the Xanax... ( I think it developed as a self defense mechanism to protect me from the possible awkward situations i was fearing when i have anxiety, it developed so I feel more detached from the situations, at least, that's why I think it came along...) I really want control back... it's really annoying and sometimes frightening... help please...

I have the EXACT same thing! I don't like loud noises, have social anxiety, have panic disorder, and dispersonalization.:'( I feel hopeless I have tried almost everything! Please reply back if you find a way to help with it. :-)

Yeah, I found a way...

Ignore it, live your life.

Act like it doesn't exist and it will disappear.

I fought with this all my life and still do. There was a period that I started volunteering to teach children's religion cases at our church to get in the social realm. I needed to work with younger ones so I could share my talents with someone. It worked and I was happy. Despite my occasional stuttering problem, I went one step further and volunteered to be a lector at mass. I was terrified every time but I the one thing that helped is that someone prompted me to speak s.l.o.w.l.y. I did and that was the key to making it throuh each reading. I longer teach and lector and I am back to not being able to attend church or other things around town. Holidays with the large group of family brings me great anxiety. I'm eager to find out how I can stop this anxiety as it contributes to my fibromyalgia pain and that is what is physically holds me down lately.

I would just like to update everyone, I've been great these past months. I went to a psychiatrist, while the first visit was very long for a phsych visit (40+ minutes) and quite nerve wracking.... I can say it was really worth it. I've been on 20mg of Prozac (once a day) for a while now and It's helped immensely. Depersonalization gone, most anxiety gone (of course you wouldn't want all angst to be gone... some is normal)

Overall really happy with the results. Dream drug. Driving is a lot less anxiety inducing, college is awesome... life is great =P