Is there anyone who had a chalazion removed? I am wondering if anyone who has had a chalazion removed has eyelid returned to normal or do you have scar tissue left? I ask is because had one, and had it removed a while back. Now my eyelid is not completely flat the way it used to be and I have another bump, and my doctor says it’s like a papillome or a skin tag inside my eyelid and it should eventually go away, but it freaks me out.

Yes I have had a chalazion removed. my eyelid never returned to what it was like before I had my chalazion. It really bothers me, so I saw a specialist a couple of weeks ago, and he told me that it is a little swollen still but it’s nothing significant or noticeable. What bothers me the most is that I can feel it and it’s so annoying? He says that it is still a little swollen due to scar tissue, and remnants of chalazion and it should eventually go away.

Was the surgery painful? Did it take a long time? What were the after affects? I am super scared. I have two on my left eye.

Did the surgery hurt? How long did it take? What did you have to do after the surgery? I am super scared. I have two on my left eye. Please help!

Just had one removed last week and the doctor had to lance it from the top of my eyelid not underneath. It was the size of a grape and was affecting my vision. It hasn't completely gone away but the area that he lanced... it looks like i will have a permit little hole in my eyelid.
I can deal with the odd looking hole/scar but i don't want to have to go through that surgery again. After lancing has anyone had it come right back without completely resolving? And if so did you have to go to surgery again?

I had surgery on a chalazion on Dec. 15, 2006. Like other respondents, I have a slight lump left; but after reading other comments, this seems to be normal. I continue to gently massage the area periodically, run warm/hot water over it a couple times a day, etc. Hopefully that will speed up the reduction of current scar tissue.

I have had several Chalazions removed over the past few years...top & bottom lids. It AIN'T fun.

And it does return to normal or near normal but it may take about 4-6 weeks to get there.

The surgery consists of a local of lidocaine just under the eye-lid...nothing goes into your eye...Then about 2-3 minutes later the doc may give another shot with more but it doesn't hurt at that point...just feels wet/cold.

The lancing should take place under your eye-lid so no scaring should be noticeable. Sometimes they just can't get to the chalazion that way and have to go above...had one of those but I don't notice a scar.

The alternatives:
1. Put heat on the eye for 30 minutes twice per day.
Massage the chalazion downward to try and get it to drain after the heat. Just using heat isn't going to work.
The chalazion will get bigger doing this and that is psychologically a pain in the butt...but its the only way to make it drain.

A friend of mine also uses eye drops with antihistamines and that helps reduce it...unless he doesn't stay diligent in which case the chalazion grows again.

Having the chalazion removed isn't that bad...but it is also not fun...

I took my MP3 player and listened to some good music last time and that helped a LOT.

This chalazion crud is a pain in the butt...but there are worse things in life...

Good luck.

I just had surgery today. He injected my right eyelid with anesthesia and used a chalazion clamp to flip my eyelid inside out and made a tiny cut. He said I had alot of scar tissue, but did find alot of what he calls "cottage cheese looking pus". He scraped and took out as much as he could, but I still see a little lump. It's not as bad as it was, and hopefully it will go away. I still take doxycylin, but only one tablet instead of two a day. I think its suppose to thin the oils and what not, but if its scar tissue, I dont know if it will ever be flat. I wonder if celebrities get chalazions and what doctors they see to get it completely removed because everyone here has the same problem. Stupid scar tissue.

Yes, i had a chalazion about 3 months ago. Got it removed surgerically. After the surgery there was still a bump, so i applied warm compresses everyday a few times n massaged it. It slowly went off.

The scar tissue will eventually go away. i was really bothered by it too. give it some time. mine is completely gone nw. And wash ur lids everyday with any lid care solution to prevent anymore forming.

I am reading the info on here about the process involved in removing the Chalazion. My 5 yr old daughter has had one for about 3 months! It was 1st mis-diagnosed by Pediatrician as Cellulitis. Then I do my own research and concluded she had a Chalazion. Took her back to Dr and they confirmed I was right. Told me it would take months to go away and continue warm compresses. It is NOT gettin better and past couple days flared up and gotten more red. It is on her upper eyelid. Took her to an Eye Dr yesterday and they said it has to be removed. I am very nervous on what this poor child has to go through to remove this. The Dr said it will not go away on its own. Is this true? There is NO way to get it to rupture on its own? The warm compresses are really doing nothing. Do we have any other options?? We are scheduled for Friday, April 20 for the surgery and we are a wreck!!!

My 11 year old son has chronic styes...we have not resorted to surgery yet....when he feels one coming on he (without kidding) will rub a gold rings on it for 15 mins or so for a couple of days...I believe the heat helps it release....he also uses hot compresses.

Daily he uses baby shampoo on his eyes to clean them...and my eye doctor has suggested 1000mg of flax seed oil.

They are painful for him, but the shampoo and flax seem to be helping a bit reducing their frequency.

As for the surgery...research on the net using good medical sites.......

began my sophomore year of college...two hard lumps on my upper eyelids...quiet discomforting...had them successfully removed without scarring...however if the chalazion is on the lower eyelid, there will be scarring or a "dip" in the eyelid which i haven't experienced yet and don't want to :/

chalazions come in cycles, still trying to find my lifestyle or trend when these flare ups occur...i will never know how i got these darn things in the first place...my eye doctor best describes it as excess oil in my eyes that's produced, have no where to go, and clog up the oil duct, forming this "pimple" that needs to get popped or scrapped

haven't had a flare up in two years, if i do have one...it'll form on my eyelid and then pop on its own/won't harden meaning there's no operation needed

the operation is not scary, takes less than 30 minutes, i tend to talk during this procedure and pretty much ask my doc what's he doing and all from the office chair and not the hospital table, then you wear an eye patch, sleep...and when the patch is taken off...no more chalazion(s) yay...of course you do go for a follow up visit

some say eat salmon to break down the thin out the oil produced in your eyes, some say take fish oil caplets, some say wash your eyes with baby shampoo, hot compresses, tobedex drops, etc...

you know what...all those methods are a crock of you know what...they don't work and sometimes makes it worse

i tried those methods and nothing...annoyance if anything....and i don't want to go on dioxcyclin (sp?) or other meds due to the side affects

so if you get one, pray that it won't harden and it should pop on its own (you'll notice the excess white gunk produced), if it does harden the operation isn't that bad/painful XD

i went to the doctor today --
and he found that i had one under my left eyelid
and two/three on my right

he prescribed medicine and said if it didn't work, i needed to get the surgery --
and i'm extremely scared .

i know what the process is and what not , but does getting the shot hurt ?
and do you feel anything at all when they actually remove it ?

I had chalazion surgery two weeks ago. Before the surgery my doctor told me that my vision was being affected by the chalazion -- it was causing a temporary astigmatism. He removed the chalazion surgically and told me my vision should return in a week or so. It's been two weeks and I'm still having vision issues. The swelling from the surgery has gone down but my vision has not returned to normal. Has anyone experienced this or have some advice for me. It's freaking me out. I had 20/15 vision before the chalazion appeared.

Thanks!!!

i got four chalazion, two on the lower eyelid and two on the top. only one on the top was visible, the other was rather small. i had them for about 3 months before i got them removed. since the visible one on my top eyelid had ended up breaking through the top of my eyelid a few times, he took it out from the top so i got two stitches. my eye was swollen shut afterwards. i only had a little brusing and soreness. it has almost been a month since the surgery and my eye is still not fully better. the stitches are gone and my eye looks a lot better than before and im glad i got the surgery. and im waiting for it to hopefully go back to normal. it seems like some are still there and draining..when i wake up in the mornings my eye is blurry until i get all the stuff it drained out. and where the visible chalazion on my top eyelid had been is red.also there is a bump on the edge of my top eyelid. my bottom eyelid i guess is still swollen abit and there is a small bump where one had been. i also still get this random but not as frequent sharp pain feeling by my tear duct, where i had the worst chalazion on my lower eyelid. my eye doctor said it should go away but it has almost been a month. im just hoping they are completely gone and that my eye will go back to normal.

does anyone know any tips on helping it recover faster? i still use the drops sometimes. has anyone sucessfully had their eyelid go back to normal?