Hello! My sister is short sighted and she wears glasses. She looks much prettier without her glasses and she really hates to wear them. My neighbor has told me that there are some special lenses called Ortho K which are used during the night and shape your eye in the way it is needed to be able to see normally the whole next day without glasses. Since I am very suspicious I would like to know has anyone experienced it. Anyone used Ortho K lenses?

Hello! Ortho K is an alternative to laser surgery. It is actually a modern approach to orthokeratology. Ortho K lenses are made from special highly oxygen permeable material and they are specially designed contact lens that reverses the power of the cornea, at the front of the eye during overnight wear. Once the full effect has taken place, the eye is effectively ‘normal’ and can see clearly during the day. Whole process is reversible. Of course not everyone is suitable for Ortho K and your sister has to consult her eye doctor and perform the needed examination of her eyes.

My son has been using ortho k lenses for ~ 2 months. He has near perfect eyesight the next day. They are expensive to replace as we have just discovered when the dog ate one, it cost $400(australian) to replace. He hated wearing his glasses though and was very noncompliant so the ortho k solution has been perfect for him. He can of course go back to wearing glasses if he ever becomes fed up with using the lenses, but so far so good.

Hi! I've been using the Ortho K lens for about 4 years now(I got them in Singapore), i was about 800degrees in each eye. At first, it might feel a little irritating on the eye, but you'll get used to it. Now, if i don't wear the lens overnight, i can go without glasses or at most, a pair with 100degress power each. Treasure the lens if you do buy them, as the comment above stated, it is EXPENSIVE to replace. I've went about a month without wearing the lens before, and it stayed still at 400degrees in each eye. Which is a very good improvement from the 800 before.

I have been using the ortho-k lenses for about six months. I love them....this is a modern day miracle. I can see better now than I ever did with glasses. I am near sighted and my script is -2.0 in each eye. It take a few days to get used to them, but once you get a routine down, its a piece of cake. I usually don't wear them once a week, and I can still see well enough the next day not have to wear my glasses. Maintenance of the lense is simple, but can be tedious. The supplies are expensive but they last a while. I think I spend about $10-$15 USD a month on suplies, but in my opinion well worth it. The initial cost was $1300 USD....best money I ahve ever spent!!

Hi,I'v been suffering from myopia for more than 10 years and I'v worn "orthokeratology" for 8 years.Every night I worn it during sleep and it became a kind of habit of me.The effet of it is great but it need my petience to take care of it.However because of some kind of personal reasons I wanna to stop wearing it.I have to wait for at least half a month to wait for it to return to the original myopia and even worse myopia.

A question to the person from Singapore who said that your originallly had -8.0 (800 degree): how long it took you to have near "normal" vision?

I'm just starting to wearing the ortho k lens. My vision was -7.00 and -6.50. After 2 weeks with ortho k lens, my right eye (-6.50) can see pretty good. My left eye (-7.00) has some improvment, but still need to wear a regular contact lens (~ -2.0 or -2.5). Also, I get very bad glare in the night, so driving is very difficult in the night.

Also, do you guys have trouble taking the lens out? My eyes always get very tearing when I took the lens out in the morning. Sometimes, it would 'pop', but the lens won't come out, and it took another try to get the lens out.

I've been doing ortho-k lenses for 15 years until TODAY. It's hard to stay consistent if you fall asleep on the couch, etc. However, I did wear them last night and this morning I woke up with the right eye extremely blurry, worse than my normal vision. Couldn't focus near or far. I'm also in a clinical trial for birth control, so they wanted to make sure I didn't have a clot. So the good news no clots or hemorrhages, the bad news is my cornea has been warped from the ortho-k lenses!!! The OD said he quit using them in his practice because the majority of patients after prolonged use ended up the same way I did. It wasn't as bad as he expected but it's gonna take about 2 weeks for this warping to go away. Which is ridiculous! They should not be able to keep selling this product! It's great for short time use, but with prolonged exposure this is insane. I'm only 25 years old and hope no one else out there ends up like me. Anybody else out there that's been using as long as I have????

Ortho K lenses rock. They can help young children who are heading for moderate to high shortsightedness (myopia) stop wearing glasses and start seeing better than ever and even slow the rate of their shortsightedness getting worse!!! If you are an avid sportsperson like me then get rid of the hassle of contact lenses for sports. Way cheaper than laser and easy to do even a 10 year old can do it!! I have found this great website about Ortho K lenses. click it out if you want to learn more about it.
The technology now is far more advance from 15 years ago so you can be sure of a much better outcome now days. In the long run it works out as cost effective as normal contact lenses but frees you from the irritation in air conditioning or dusty environments. Ortho K is cool. too cool for school. Just Do it! :D

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I am considering the ortho k lens for my 7 year old. Can anyone tell me about any negative side effects with this product? Also, can anyone confirm that this does not correct your vision permanantly? I heard that once you stop using this, your eyes will go back to the shape it was meant to be. Does ortho k stop the progression when you reach puberty and your eyes stabalize? Will they stabalize to a prescription that is not as strong as someone who did not do this and in their teenage years now have a -9?

Ortho K is suitable for any age from 7 to 80years old. the negative side affects are the same as any contact lenses with risks of infection if not correctly cared for. However with the guidance from your optometrist you will find that the kids are better at removal and insertion of Contact lenses than you are. and with monitoring to ensure the kids are not short cutting the cleaning regimen then the risks are small. Problems can arise if the Ortho K contact lens is not fitting correctly, but the regular visits that are apart of the ortho K therapy will ensure that that is taken care of. The beauty of Ortho K is that is is NOT permanent. If the eye is going to change then the last thing you want to do is permanently correct the current focus. However the Ortho K lenses can give the correction that is needed at the time. It is correct that if you stop using the Lenses that your cornea will unmold and return to the original shape. After 2-3 years of using the lenses most patient report that they only insert their lenses every 2 nights sometime every 3 nights!! Ortho K has a growing body of evidence to suggest it does slow the progression of myopia, there are not yet enough double blind placebo controlled studies in place to make this an absolute certainty, but in the real world nothing is an absolute certainty bar death and taxes. ;-) Typically your eyes stabilise in the mid twenties anyway, to answer your final question, Yes they will end up with stablised vision less than that if they hadnt. Usually if a family history of high myopia is present this will make the decision easy. Hope al goes well for your wee child.

anonymous wrote:

Hello , your reply gave a ray pf hope that i too contact wear this as many sites and opticians have mentiones that ortho k lenses are suitable for only prescription as high as -6 but now knowing that you have dropped your point from -8 to -4 helped me to go for it. as I am also wearing -8 prescribed lenses and glassees which is a burden and irritating and also incresing every year which made me too depressed.Thanks but where to go for it. Singapore - its too far from Uk

If you are living in the San Diego area you can go for a free CRT or LASIK consultation at Delgado Family Optometry:

anonymous wrote:

Hello, may I ask have you been wearing the same lenses from 15 years ago? Are they different from the lenses now? If you have changed the lenses to newer ones, could they have possibly caused the warp in your eye?

Ortho-k lenses are safe and healthy for the cornea. I work for a company that manufactures the iSee ortho-k lens. We make thousand of ortho-k lenses per month and ship them all over the world. iSee ortho-k lenses gently reshape the cornea while you sleep. They are like retainers for your eyes. When you wake up in the morning you take them out and see clearly all day without the need for glasses or contact lenses. There are also studies that show that they help stop the regression of myopia aka nearsightedness. Go to www.isee.com for more info