Hi, ever since I got my appendectomy I started to gain weight and I have difficulties because diets seem not work, what is going on?, thanks
Maryte Eidrigevicius

I have often wondered if having my appendix removed caused me to gain weight. I was a skinny child, had my appendix removed at age 8, then started to gain weight and have never been able to lose it easily. My brother was always a skinny kid, had his appendix out at 16 and gained weight quickly afterwards!

i had my appendix out when i was 11 and now i am 14 in that time slot i had gained a bit of weight myself...i dont know if its cause im growing or my appendix.i would like some advise!

Has anyone found out why the weight gain after having your appendix out? I am 24 and just had my appendix out a couple months ago now it seems i have been packing on the pounds and can not loose it. Ive tried everything and nothing is working. If anyone has found anything out , let me know!

I had my appendix removed 5 years ago and now 35 pounds heavier, I tried diets and nothing works.

I feel your pain. I am a 37 years old woman, I had my appendix removed 6 months ago. I was extemely fit pre-surgery. I am admittedly became less active post surgery, and now I am easing back into my regular fitness routine (lots of brisk walking and ashtanga yoga), I adjusted my diet for the lack of activity...but alas I have a tummy paunch that was not there before and I have easily gained 10 pounds.

My metabolism is acting strange post surgery....and it appears that there are several of us in the same boat... let me know if anyone figures it out!

rachel S.

im a 33 yrd old active male, pretty fit, i just recently had my appendix out(1 week ago) and have noticed the opposite of your issues. i have lost weight at an avg. of abt 3-4 lbs a day. has anyone else heard of this?? thanks

I had my appendix taken out 8 days ago and am hoping I do not fall in the weight gain category. I am physically fit as of now and am 38 years old. I am just now able to walk without bending over but I'm wondering if I'm going to continue to have this little pooch above my incision. I am assuming I am still swollen in some areas. I will let you all know if I gain weight, stay the same, or lose it! HA!

I had my appendix out 6 days ago, was on fluids till friday, weighed myself on saturday when i got home and i was 13 pound heavier. how is that possible? still the same weight now. and I look like I'm pregnant and my belly jiggles as well. I had been working out minimum 3 X week religiously prior to this. Now I'm concerned I'm back to my post pregnancy "look". I hope this goes away once I'm healed but I don't have a lot of faith.

I am a 29 year old female. I am about 3 months post op. I have lost the pounds I gained right after surgery and am back to my normal weight, 153. I work out hard 2-3 times a week. I was very discouraged by the initial weight gain with both my appendectomy and a prior tonsillectomy, but just needed to be patient. I do still have a small pouch over my belly button insision scar, which was the only really flat part of my stomach before surgery (2 kids...). I hated my scars at first, but am slowly adjusting. Just eat well, exercise, and learn to love the new body that has been given a second chance.

I am 16 and am probably going to have to get my appendix out. i was scared that i might gain weight. im am already 10kgs over weight and cannot get rid of it no matter what i do. does the weight gain go away after a while or am i going to be stuck even heavier than i already am?? please help

Does eating healthy have any impact on the weight gain? I would think that initially you might pick up a little weight because you need to lay low in the exercising until the doctor go ahead. But then it's time to get back into action.

I got my appendix removed 10 months ago, I was about 120lbs. As soon as I was cleared I started to go back to the gym and I only consume 1250 calories a day max. I work out average of 3 days a week and I have been 147-149lbs since my surgery I haven't lost ANYTHING!!!!!!!!! I'm am 21 female and am only 5'4... I don't know what the hell is going on, I should have lost something by now. Everyone says just work out more, if I saw the slightest results I WOULD work out more but I'm not seeing anything... ever since I got it removed idk why this happend but it sucks. Any Suggetions on how to get ride of this weight?!

I have this same weight gain caused by the appendix removal and i can only think of one thing which may solve my and your problems out there, an appendix transplant. this may sound a bit drastic, but personally, i'd gladly beg for surgeons to cut me open and give me a new appendix if that opportunity presented itself! For all who feel hopeless, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE spread this idea all around the internet and ask any surgeons that you know persoanlly about the possibility of this idea (don't bother mentioning where you heard the idea, i don't care about popularity, i just want a solution!). I strongly believe they should start taking the appendix out of dead organ donors(along with their other organs ofcourse). PLEASE "THUMBS UP" THIS COMMENT SO IT GETS SEEN AND CONSIDERED SOMEHOW SOMEWAY! and if you have doubts, please don't just dismiss this idea as a useless one. The ONLY way to know for sure if an appendix transplant would help relieve the weight gain caused by its removal is to get the damn experimental procedure done... if anyone does this with any sucess please make a channel on youtube and post the results... i'm imagining that maybe the appendix plays a mysterious role in weight regulation in humans, so what would happen if you transplanted a larger appendix into a morbidly obese person? or if you transplanted multiple appendix's into a morbidly obese person? If the appendix does play a mysterious role in weight regulation in humans, this may be why some people have weight gain from appendix removal, while others experience weight loss from the removal. does anyone know of a country where i could travel to and pay to get an experimental surgery like this done? Hell if i'm right about the possible benefits of appendix transplant after appendix removal than my/our insurance should pay for the additional surgery! please reply to this message with all of your thoughts and opinions concerning this subject. I, like mostly everyone else who gets their appendix removed, have also gained around 30-40 pounds :'(

i too have struggled with weight gain over past 4 years after my appendectomy.
I've ensured that at least 90% of my weekly diet is very healthy, raw veg, fruit, nuts seeds with plenty of water, if i do eat meat its lean and low fat, I also cut down on carbs.
Low carb & low sat fat diet, normally around 1100 - 1300 cal a day.
I don't have sweets or fizzy drinks, nor do I drink lots of booze just the odd couple of red wines once a week.
lead a busy and active life, with lots of walking.
I'm only 30 and 5'6 yet my weight is steadily increasing - all since my appendectomy.

I'm at a loss as to what to do next
any advice?