The thread on overweight people not fitting into seating got me thinking; are we, as physically active people, more accountable for our own health than someone who would not pass a BMI test or is sedentary? And if we are, does that make us judgmental over someone who, by their appearance, is not active?
I have to admit I look at people and think 'if they would just put down that cheeseburger and go for a walk.' Do I have a right to do that just because I exercise regularly? No. But I do it.
And I am not a size 4, just for the record. Chances are a very lean person may look at me and wonder why I'm not smaller.

Appearances are too deceiving to judge people. I know plenty of thin people who are in horrendous physcial condition. That doesn't mean I'm not judgemental but I try not to be.

Mr Aire lifts and runs daily. Does he fit the USAF BMI standards? No.

My boss, eats McDs EVERY STINKIN' day, no exercise, and smokes.

She is a size 2.

we all assign priorities differently. while the grossly overweight person may look at my bank account and wonder WTF is wrong with me, i'll look at his expansive waistline and have the same thought.

what we consider is important might be different but i would not call us fitter folks more responsible, just more health conscious. and my example would be more financially responsible.

no don't make me be serious again this week dammit, that's your limit. :wink:

Mr Aire lifts and runs daily. Does he fit the USAF BMI standards? No. My boss, eats McDs EVERY STINKIN' day, no exercise, and smokes. She is a size 2.
I can't decide which shocks me more - your boss, or that the USAF has BMI standards. :o :wink:

I can't decide which shocks me more - your boss, or that the USAF has BMI standards. :o :wink: :LOL:

BMI's are a joke. I'm 24.2 and 25.0 is considered overweight. I'm nowhere near overweight.

BMI's are a joke. I'm 24.2 and 25.0 is considered overweight. I'm nowhere near overweight. Apparently 80% of professional athletes would qualify as obese too. I like to think I just have really dense bones.

BMI's are a joke. I'm 24.2 and 25.0 is considered overweight. I'm nowhere near overweight. yeah i fall in that 24.xx range as well, and my BF % is ok, a little higher for what I want but far from having the diet literature tossed at me like one intern wanted to do a few years ago without a BF test. azzhat :flames:

I'm not judgemental when people are not active, no. It's a choice those people have to make. I just don't want to hear over and over again how terrible this person feels day in, day out when there is something he/she can do about it. I DO TUNE THEM OUT (after I've given recommendations on what they can do) over time.

I'm very judgemental of myself. I beat myself up over missed runs, what I should not have eaten, how I look in my clothes. I don't look near the type that runs as much as I do. I've heard people say, "you don't look like the marathon build". WTF is that supposed to mean? I'm not lean and lanky. That drives me crazy and makes me beat myself up more. Even though I'm in better shape than the most of them and can run pretty damn fast when compared to them as well.

It always amazes me too that there are people out there who don't do squat, can have size 2 bodies and eat to their heart's delight. I'm just hoping that my conditioning lets me live longer than them.

I'd be overweight with the BMI standards right now...yes. :?
My skinny coworker who has not run a mile in 20 years...perfect by BMI standards. :?

BMI's are a joke. I'm 24.2 and 25.0 is considered overweight. I'm nowhere near overweight. Tell me about it! I'm 5'10" and wear a size 10, but my BMI is 23.4....whatever. It always irks me these guidelines and standards that we have to fit into. I realize that its probably good for some things, but overall I think it is bs.