Hi, not sure if this goes here or in the other part, but I'll put it here. I'm 36 and considering treatments for "fine lines", which in my mind are not so fine any more. I had always assumed I would be choosing Botox when the time was right, but then I heard about Argireline Cream and how it can improve wrinkles without needles. I like the thought of that, but it is expensive and I am just wondering whether Argireline Cream would be as good as Botox or even better, or whether Botox would still be the better option for me. Experience, anyone?

What is better, Argireline or botox? That depends on what you are looking for. Argireline is cheaper than botox and doesn't require injections, which are both appealing to many people. The compound does work in a way very similar to botox, but because it isn't injected it takes much longer for it to absorb properly so you see results. So, Argireline can be great for you and can reduce wrinkles by up to 30 percent but you do need to have some patience. If you do, go for it!

I've heard good things about Argireline creams as well, though I'm not sure which specific product is best? Perhaps someone else knows? Anyway, I was wondering if it would be fine to have both that and the botox. It shouldn't have to be an either-or thing, should it? I assume that if you do both, you get double the results! Botox goes under the skin and Argireline goes on it, so technically speaking they work a lot differently. Could be the perfect combo for anti-aging perhaps?

Health Advisor

Argireline cream gas actually been around for like ages. It's Dr Oz that made it popular. I'm naturally sceptical of basically everything that appears on that show, yeah, but Argireline cream has some merits. It's a peptide, and they do work. Studies show after using a cream with 5 per cent Argireline in it, wrinkles were reduced by as much as 30 per cent. OK, that sounds good to me, and certainly a whole lot more appealing than botox, which I would also have if I tthought I needed it. I'd try the Argireline cream first though for the simple fact that it's just a cream and not an injection.

I have had botox in the past and am now using Argireline. The thing about botox is that the effects wear off after around six months and you will need to have a repeat session to keep your results, whereas Argireline has a cumulative effect. I think that is a positive in favor of Argireline. In addition, the results are really good. I started Argireline towards the end of the life span of my botox, and I think I had a nice natural transition from the botox effects into the Argireline effects. You can, of course, have both. I simply did not like the experience of getting botox a lot and prefer using the Argireline myself. This is a very personal decision of course.

Celebrity

Personally, I would be weary of using acetyl hexapeptide-3 (Argireline). It is true that there is one single study, which was published in the International Journal of Cosmetic Science, that reported that using this at a 10 percent concentration for a month reduces the depth of wrinkles by up to 30 percent. That sounds very impressive, to be sure, but that is just a single study.

There is no real evidence that Argireline is even safe, and if it relaxes the muscles, making wrinkles look less deep, who is to say that Argireline could not also cause an increase in general facial sag, for which you would later look for laser treatment to tighten your skin or even a face lift? For this reason, Argireline is not an ingredient I would personally feel comfortable choosing.

Botox is not something I have ever tried either, but unlike Argireline, it has plenty of research behind it, and you know it is there to reduce very specific deeper wrinkles that are bothering you, offering you treatment where you need it and none where you don't. If I had deep lines that I wanted to rid myself of, I would consider botox first before looking into other options.

Rosie

Health Advisor
Really? Oh well, it sounded pretty reputable when I was looking at that stuff. Actually I just did some more searching and Paula's Choice says there's a study that shows Argireline isn't anywhere near as good at reducing wrinkles as botox is. That's my illusion shattered then, I guess! I really liked the thought of being able to put a cream on my face to say bye bye to wrinklez rather than having to have needles inserted in my face yeah? But no such luck I guess.

Botox is a toxin. Let's call a spade a spade here. Botox works by paralyzing your muscles, that is how you gain the appearance of fewer wrinkles. Doesn't sound that good to me. Argireline on the other hand is a peptide. It sends messages to your brain not to make your facial muscles use as much, and also, your skin will get the chance to really relax, and collagen production is increased naturally. Some cosmetologists actually think it gets better results than botox. So guess which one I chose? I suppose you don't have to :). I am very happy with the results, didn't see any cons along the way, and will continue using it.

I have not tried argireline cream and this is my first time hearing about it, actually. I will be sure to look it up.

I did want to share that I had botox done three months ago, in multiple areas, and I am very happy with what it did for me. I am not exaggerating when I say that I look at least five years younger, and very possibly even more. Botox is a treatment that has been used for a long time already and has proven results. As long as you choose the right provider you just know you will come out looking great, so that is a significant benefit.

I'd go for proven vs unproven every single time.

I have been using Regal Anti-aging Night Cream with Argireline and HA for the last, perhaps 2 months? I have noticed a definite improvement to my skin! Yup, my wrinkles are slightly less pronounced and I looked healthy and radiant. I am happy with this cream and will continue using it.

It does seem like botox is for a different audience, really. I don't want anything injected into my skin on a regular basis, no matter how safe it is, for many different reasons including finances, laziness and a fear of needles. The question of which is better does not matter much to me then. I do like the Argireline though.

Celebrity

Argireline works by doing something to the muscles that makes them work less well. The theory is that no muscle movement equals no wrinkle formation. In fact, the cream's claims don't include boosting collagen or elastin or anything like that. I personally have seen to evidence that this really works, and I would be weary about the fact that it is not regulated all that well either. Personally, I would not choose to use this on my face. You, of course, should judge for yourself, try to read the available evidence and make your conclusions. Just because something is a buzz word in skincare doesn't make it effective or safe, however.

I will be honest. I used argireline for a while and was still not happy with the results, then decided to get botox. Results? Instant! So what is better? For me there is no question. Getting botox is not the most pleasant experience out there in the world, but I walked out of there looking instantly younger, and there lies one of the greatest benefits of botox. You do not need to wait until you see improvement and there is no question that you will have results. I vote botox.

Argireline, because it is low hassle and can be applied topically. You can start using it as a preventative measure and it really helps reduce wrinkles and prevent them, so if you start early then you won't even need to consider botox for a long, long time. Botox is expensive and time consuming and needs to be done by a medical professional. No thanks, I would rather use something that I can just put on at home knowing that I am doing something proactive against aging.