Hi, I would like if someone could explain to me the benefits of weight+cardio in the same workout. I have been going to the gym for a while, because I want to put some muscles on my bones. I always thought that lifting weights is the thing for me. But, now a friend of mine is trying to convince me that I would have more success if I combine weights+cardio exercises in the same workout. Is my friend right?

Hi, the answer to your question is not that simple. It depends on what your goal is. If you want to lose some pounds and build the muscles at the same time, than you would definitely benefit from the combination of weights and cardio exercises in the same workout. But, if it is your desire to build up your muscles, than this kind of combined workout is not for you. However, you shouldn't give up on cardio exercises all together, since they can be very helpful. You should do the cardio workout on the days when you are not weight lifting. This way you will gain the strength for the weight lifting and avoid the loss of muscle mass that might happen if you overwork with the cardio exercises. You should talk to the trainer at your gym about the cardio exercises that will suit you best.