When it comes to losing weight, big breakfast turns out to be the most important meal of the day. A research done by Dr Daniela Jakubowicz from Virginia Commonwealth University showed that obese women who ate half their daily calories first thing fared better than those eating a much smaller amount in the long run.
She feels that having a small breakfast could actually boost food cravings while a big breakfast could be less boring.
Over several months, obese women who ate half their daily calories first thing fared better than those eating a much smaller amount.
US researcher Dr Daniela Jakubowicz told a San Francisco conference having a small breakfast could actually boost food cravings.
A UK expert said a big breakfast diet might simply be less boring and less likely to get hungry before lunch.
In her study, Dr Daniela Jakubowicz compared two different dieting approaches. She tested a low carbohydrate against the "big breakfast" diet which involved more calories - 1,240 - with a lower proportion of fat and more carbohydrates and protein.
Four months after the study started, the low-carb dieters did much better in terms of achieved weight loss, losing an average of 28 pounds in comparison to the 23 lost on the "big breakfast" diet. However, in the long run, after additional four months, the situation had reversed. Low-carb dieters were putting an average of 18 of those shed pounds back on, while the big breakfasters continued to lose weight, on average 16.5 pounds each.
They lost a fifth of their total body weight on average, compared with less than 5% for the low-carb dieters.
The big breakfasters reported feeling less hungry, especially in the mornings. Low carb diet seems to exacerbate the craving for carbohydrates and slows metabolism meaning these dieters are more likely to return to obesity in a short time. A big breakfast containing carbohydrates and protein helped by making people feel fuller during the day, and was healthier, because it included more fiber and fruits.

I agree. Everytime I eat a heavy breakfast, I notice that I don't crave for in-between meals during the day. I think less about food. :-D