Locked New Topic Followed by 1 people
I will be getting my kidney/bladder stent removed on tuesday. I am really worked up about it because I have read that the procedure hurts very bad. I'm wondering if anyone has had it done and if so what was it like? Thanks.

Good Morning EKLINE60,
I too am having a stent roved from the kidney/ bladder today 1/ 03 and am very concerned. I believe you already had yours done. What am I to expect?

Well, my doctor didn't tell me a darn thing about any of the procedures I had to remove my kidney stone or the recovery process or in preventing further stones. Great doctor...

But to the point...I had a stone stuck in my ureter and had it removed by a ureterascope. Not bad at all since I was put under general anestia. The follow two weeks following the operation I was in misery with kidney pain, blood in my urine pain in my testicals and severe pain I had to urinate. So I was actually looking forward to having the stent removed since it was causing so much darn pain.

OK guys - Ive read some people don't mind the procedure at all to having the stent removed. My experince was a bit different. DEMAND that a FLEXIBLE scope is used! Thank God it only lasted a few minutes. A scope is placed inside you to pull out the stent under local numbing agent - which I felt didn't do much 'numbing'. I found it EXTREMLY 'uncomfortable'. I had no idea how long that friggin stint was! The good news is it only lasts a few minutes and it is more uncomfortable than painful. Its a feeling that is really hard to describe. For me, the worst part was the actual insertion of the scope. Perhaps it was more psychological than anything, but I hope and pray that I will never go through it again.

Since I've had the stint out my kidney no longer hurts, but be prepared for painful urinations - a STRONG burning and pain in sphinxter. I was told it would only last for a day or so though...

I just thought I would post since I too just had kidney stone eswl Sonicwave) surgery a few weeks ago and had a ureter stent in place. I had some anxiety about having it removed, but my doctor did it this morning and I have to say, it wasn't as bad as I thought. Just a bit uncomfortable and a very strange sensation, but I'm thrilled to have it out! Hope that helps.

ekline60 wrote:

just thought i would let you no that my mam who is 70 has had 8 stents changed last one was yesturday and it is a quick process and was home the same day without any problems dont worry

Does anyone know why don't they put you under for stint removal?

ekline60 wrote:

I am not sure if anyone has replied to your question, you probably already had it removed. However for anyone else who has the same question, I have had 4 stents in and i am about to recieve another. I have been awake for two of the removals. It was not terribly painful just uncomfortable and my legs kept slipping out of the stirrups and knocking the equipment out of place. (i don't recommned that because that does hurt more) If you can somehow relax yourself or focus on something else (i have not figured out how to do this yet) it is much easier and only takes about 2 mins. I compare the pain to that of a PAP Smear. (For me those are sometimes painful) but definately tolerable. If anything it is just uncomfortable.
hope this helps

Mine is a bit of a long story, but I was wondering if anyone had the same problem and maybe what kind of things I can expect.

It all started out when I was 3 months pregnant in march of 2006, I had the kidney stones, one quite large...and it was so bad, that I was rushed by ambulance to the hospital, I was in so much pain I could barely breathe. Anyway, they put the stint in, and the dr that did it said he wanted to see me back in 2 weeks. I made the appointment with his office the day I got home after the procedure, 4 days later, his office called and cancelled the apointment telling me that the Dr. didn't want to see me until after I had the baby. My OBGYN told me that, that was not normal procedure, and that during the pregnancy, I could probably expect it to be replaced at least 3 or 4 times to prevent calcification of the stint. Well, never the less the DR wouldnt see me, so my OB referred me to another DR, who had the nearest appointment 4 months out. LONG story short...I never had the stint removed, I had my baby in Sept, and 2 days later I ended up in ICU for something totally unrelated....it is now May and I am just now getting an appointment to have it removed on the 31st. So the stint has been in me for 14 months, and I also had previously 2 months ago have a DR refuse to treat me due to how long the stint had been in, his words, and I quote "I can't help you this is someone elses headache not mine" then sent me on my way...bottom line is...the thing has been in there so long...I am scared as to what is going to have to happen to get it removed...any one with maybe a similar experience...if you could offer advice I would greatly appreciate it...my appt is 2 weeks away...so I have some time to do some research...thanks in advance.

Since the 10th of June, my neice has been suffering with a kidney stone, she went to the emergency room and they sent her home on pain killers, she tried to contact her Dr for a couple of days, no reply when they finally return call they sent her for a scan and found that the stone was lg and was blocking, they gave her med to expane the tube to see if they could get it to pass, still nothing and more pain with vomitting, went to emergency room was admitted and then the next day Dr removed the stone and put in a stent which had her remove it on her own today, 2 days after the procedure, about 1 hour after the removal she double over in sever pain, vomiting, bleeding and could not stand up. Could the removal of the stent cause this? Also, I heard that since the stone was blocking, she could have kidney damage due to the length of time. Can anyone comment on this? Thank you,

:'(
Oh my word! Why would any doctor in their right mind keep a stent in for more that six months? I did discuss this with my doctor. He said that the stint is in lobger than normal but if you are not showing signs of infection or pain, it should not be a problem to remove even after 14 months.
How is your baby and how was it after your appointment for removal? Lo

I have a stent inserted from bladder to kidneys, didn't know it was there (doctor didn't tell me after inserting it, and never mentioned it during visits after my hospitalization). It has now been there for several years, has already calcified, and needs to be removed immediately. I certainly don't want to have it removed by the same negligent health "unprofessional", so; I am seeking out the identity of a professional, caring, knowledgeable, experienced, health professional who might treat my body as (s)he would treat their own. I don't have much time to do this, does anyone have the name of a great urologist?

Hi All - this is a question ? for Jennysez, I am extremely worried because my sister has a uretric stent and due to give birth in a week. I was wondering if you delivered your baby via a C-section or gave birth naturally. My concern (and Ive asked my sister and she says she's been told its fine) is whether or not she should be pushing that hard, when she has a stent inside. Isn't that dangerous? Pls let me know about your experience and what she should look out for. I am a worry wart and I worry about her. Pls let me know your story and how you handl :-( ed the birth of your child. (Congratulations by the way). Thank you so much.

Mar wrote:

about 1 hour after the removal she double over in sever pain, vomiting, bleeding and could not stand up. Could the removal of the stent cause this? Also, I heard that since the stone was blocking, she could have kidney damage due to the length of time. Can anyone comment on this? Thank you,

I had a ureterscopy on 7/2/07. The stone was removed and a stent was put in. The stent was removed in the doctors office on 7/6 (it had a string for removal). The removal was uncomfortable but quick. However, about 90 minutes later I had extreme pain. I took Vicodin and when I got no relief after an hour, I called the drs office. No one was there but the receptionist who said I should go to the emergency room. I decided to wait another 15 min. in the hopes the Vicodin would start working which it did so I didn't go to the ER. The next day I did a little research and found a urologist's site with this bit of information.

"Once the stent comes out, most patients experience a recurrence of a fairly significant pain about 2-3 hours after this time. This is unavoidable and has to do with swelling of the ureter. Once you know to expect this, you can pre-medicate yourself with pain medication, plan to take it easy, and perhaps ready a hot bath for yourself to aid this discomfort. This pain usually is fleeting, but is very commonly experienced by patients just after their stent is removed so BE PREPARED!"

Why don't doctors tell you this??? I would have taken pain medication in anticipation of the pain.

One other interesting fact the urologist told me is that it takes 30 days of blockage before there is damage to the kidney. I hope this relieves your worries about your niece.

I am scheduled to have a renal ultrasound in 6 weeks. The doctor said after the procedure I had they check kidney function as there is a small chance of kidney damage (2%) doing a ureterscopy.

Good luck to all of you kidney stone sufferers. I hope to never have another stone.

i have been diagnosed with a medullary sponge kidney which holds the stones in instead of allowing them to flow freely. i have had so many lithrotripsy procedures...did not work. they recently tried the surgery where they put the tube through my back to kidney. that didn't work because the tube dislodged from kidney prior to surgery. so, i just had the procedure where they go in through "bottom", laser and remove. Stent put in place for 6 days. Thank God it wasn't longer, because that is the most annoying piece of equipment. It was so uncomfortable and it was so painful to urinate. Having stent out was horrendous (no meds). Why no meds with that experience? I must admit, it was less painful than the first time i had it done. My problem is.....I am still experiencing the frequent urge to "go". Should this still be happening? It has only been 4 days since stent was removed. Anyone?

I only had my stent in for about 2 weeks. One week prior to having the stone blasted, then one week more. Went to have the stent removed and was assured it was a 1 minute procedure.

Lidocaine was injected into the penis through the urethra and a few minutes later the scope was inserted and the Dr began to pull the stent. Half way out it got stuck. He inserted a wire into the stent and tried to straighten it out. No luck. So, here I am with about 3 inches of stent hanging out of my penis. He has me stand up and pull up my pants and walk about 50 yards to the radiology part of the clinic. They lay me out under the Xray machine and he and another Dr stick different size wires up there while watching the progress with the Xrays. No luck. They tell me the end of the stent has folded over and is hooked somehow in the ureter. The jerking and pulling were driving me insane at this point. Pain just as bad as the original kidney stone pain.

So, again, I pull up my pants and my wife drives me 3 miles to a hospital where they could put me in an operating room and give me some Versed to get me to "relax" to where they could try to get the stent out. Now, I gotta tell ya, every step was painful. That stent hanging out of me caused the stent to pull and bend and move at every step.

The Dr in the operating room at the hospital finally got enough Versed into me that I guess I didn't care how much it hurt. He said that he was able to push the stent back up the ureter and was finally able to get the kink out of it and it came out. Pushing it up a ways, (I don't know how far, but it only makes sense that he pushed it clear back to the kidney were there is a cavity large enough to allow the stent to unfold), allowed it to open up and he was able to pull it out.

I went in for a 1 minute procedure at 9am and walked out of the hospital at 5pm.

No fun.