New Reply New Topic Followed by 16 people

To be frank and candid, I estimate your most significant health problem is not a lesion on your lip; it's CIGARETTE SMOKING. STOP it!

Hi Cathi, I have the same thing not the simplex virus either or a cold sore.
My pharmacist thinks its a reaction to something I have eaten ,drinking or come across. It feels like a burn, it hurts and its soft not hard.Hope that helps you some, but no one could me what it was either..

This is a really late reply but I felt I needed to correct you on a few things because you seem to be mistaken about a few things! Cold sores and genital herpes ARE the same virus, just caused by different types of the virus! Cold sores are generally type 1 and genital herpes is type 2. Bad teeth certainly does not cause you to get cold sores!! You have to have been passed on the virus by kissing/ sharing cutlery etc with someone that has the virus in its active stage. So actually, kissing someone and yes, 'eating someone out' can definately have the potential to cause you to contract the virus on your mouth as 'cold sores' if that person had the virus in its active stage at the time of you doing either of these things! You are correct in saying that they are a lifelong virus once contracted, there is no cure. They do also tend to have certain triggers to cause an outbreak, such as being run down or being in the sun. And also yes, antibiotics do help alleviate pain of dental abscesses, but they are by no means a treatment for the problem. The antibiotics will help deal with the problem initially, but without treatment such as root canal treatment or extraction, the problem will keep on recurring. Take it from a dental nurse that sees these things every day!

I just went to the dentist yesterday and had the same exact thing happen to me in the same spot. every figure out what it is..?

I'm on day 3 post tonsillectomy surgery, when I woke up from the op, the top left side of my lip was extremely swallow and burning, the nurse said it could be an allergic reaction, another said it could be a cold sore which I don't see is possible because I've never had one in my life!?! Anyway 3 days after surgery and the swelling has only slightly gone down, it's blistered over and feels tingly. I just need to know what this, anyone help??

If it appears, disappears and then appears again in the same spot it may be a mucocele (sp) and your dentist should check it out when it appears again. They sometimes have to be removed by laser to get rid of them for good.

It's common for a lip to swell with no bite marks or blood especially on a child after the child's mouth was numbed. Sucking on the lips, pulling on them or repeatedly "nibbling" on them will cause them to swell just as much or worse than one swift hard bite. It can take up to two weeks for it to go down too.

Me too dude, I f*****g split my chapped lip open when I was drunkedly laughing at my buddy's joke.

Whoever this is is right. My lesion is from smoking cigarettes after said drunken laughing.

The virus can stay dormant in your system for a long time. Typically an injury to the mouth can cause the virus to come out. I suffer from cold sores. Sometimes I can go months, in the past I e gone years. My first sign of one was not immediately after kissing someone either. Unfortunelty it sounds like a lot of these cases are just due to injury or stress around the mouth.