New Reply New Topic Followed by 13 people

Hello there! I am writing in order to see how others recovery after hemorrhoidectomy went. I had my hemorrhoidectomy done 2 weeks ago and I still have pain while passing stool. There is also still bleeding and soreness while bm. What about any of you? How did it last for you to fully recover?

Hi! My recovery was a disaster as well. I couldn’t even urinate outside of a tub full of water bc I was incontinent for the 10 days after the surgery. But, you know what…gradually everything came to its place and I am no longer in pain. My bm is normal now and I don’t have to be scared every time I feel like going. Good luck with your recovery.

I had my surgery about 2.5 weeks ago & am finally feeling pretty normal. Don't believe all those horror stories. You do recover. Keep taking those stool softeners, and don't eat too much. Doctors tell you to load up of fiber, but I think drinking lots of liquids is more important at this point.

I am so glad to have some hope after reading these posts and knowing I am not the only one who has gone through severe pain. I had my surgery almost a week ago and I am feeling so hopeless about recovery. When I have a BM I can hardly take the pain, there is blood, and I am scared when I have to go to the bathroom. I never imagined pain like this, and I have given birth to 2 children , drug free.
Can anyone tell me any other things that helped ease the pain from a Bm, other than the warm water, ice, and painkillers?? Has anyone used Lidocaine for numbing?

HI...YES, I VE BEEN USING LIDOCAINE FOR NUMBING, BUT I HAVE TO SAY THAT FOR ME IT WASN T WORKING SO WELL...HELPFUL WAS THE PAINKILLER, WARM WATER BATHS, MILK OF MAGNESIUM AND DRINKING A LOT OF WATER!GOOD LUCK!!!

Hi, I am using hot water bottle - you know the soft gel one you heat in the microwave, a TENS machine from when I had the baby, mild painkillers and warm baths with Tea Tree Oil and Lavendar Essential Oil. Currently on day 4 post op and still in quite a lot of pain but so far bearable (just)!.

I had my surgery 2 years ago and I still suffer 24/7 , will I ever be normal again and pain free I doubt it!!!

I just hit the day 6 mark and can honestly say the pain is starting to get tolerable. Also, for some reason I find more comfort sitting on something hard. (two internals removed...one very large and one small) The big problem now is the BM's. I feel like I always have to go and have to struggle when I do....the pain is still intense but was better today. I am concerned with causing a new problem by pushing too hard but I know I have to go. Even passing gas is a problem and usually causes a spasm when/if it doesnt come 'out" The best pain medicine has been 3 ibuprofens...with the nightime ones in the evening. The 1st night...I didnt sleep and nothing worked. I also had a big problem with peeing...and still usually pee in the tub, but theres pain with that also...

Guest wrote:

I had a hemoroidectoy on 7/21 = the doctor messed up and I hemmoraged losing over 1/3 of my blood supply. When he was paged as I was being released - he attempted to suture me right in the recovery room - after bleeding more he did a 2nd surgery. he told my sisters and fiance that "he messed uo"! I had to have a blood transfusion and now on day 6 I can't go potty. I take stool softners, laxatives and nothing is happening. I get dizzy and feel like passing out but emergency (day 5) showed everything ok and suggested citrate of magnesia - still nothing. I am scared and inso much pain I can't stand it. I take pain killers only because I want just to die! This is horrible, I tried putting a cup of water inside me very carefully but the only thing that came out was blood, I am afraid of rupturing inside as my Mom did years ago. I need this to come out of me. I am 5-3 110lbs and fit. I have been trying even stretches etc, Nothing - I also had a colonoscopy that ruled out any condition thatt may be causing this. Help!

I had my surgery for mixed hemmorhoids 18 days ago. Bleeding is no problem, biggest problem is post BM pain & "soreness". OTC meds are almost no help & Hydrocodones work for the immediate pain.

I had a Hemorrhoidectomy on March 17th 2010, it is now April 1st and I am much better but I am dealing pain from a large fissure found during the surgery that he did not repair. The surgeon said he did not repair it because we had not discussed it. I wonder why he didn't just go tell my husband who was right in the waiting room what they found and asked for permission to repair it? I had been dealing with bleeding internal and external hemorrhoids that had come out of the anus and had to be shoved very painfully back in by me off and on since Feb. of 1996. I had heard from my sister and father horror stories about their surgery and just prayed home remedies would make them leave. No such luck, I was in so much pain I could no longer take it and pushing them back in was becoming almost impossible because of the pain. The surgeon said that was what probably caused the tear or fissure. Going through the pain after the surgery was complicated and more severe because I still had a tear on the muscle of my anus. Is there anyone else out there who had this happen to them?? I meet with my surgeon tomorrow to talk about the next surgery a shincterotomy, I am tired to the max of this controlling my life and pain has just become the norm for me. Help!!!!

Hi ,I feel so bad for you. I hope someone can give you some answers on here.
I had surgery on 3/30/10 for a blood clot associated with a hemmorhoid. I broke the blood vessel in the hemmorhoid and it created the blood clot. I also had another external hemmorhoid along with a skin tag,taken care of. I was out of work for 3 weeks and was miserable . I was in alot of pain for about 2 1/2 weeks . Of course I was on pain meds which constipated me even though I was taken stool softeners every day. The first time I went to the bathroom I made sure my husband was outside the door and he had the phone in his hand. I have never experienced anthing so painful. Into the 3rd week of recovery I have another skin tag form. It didn't hurt but was big enough to be uncomfortable. So I had to have another surgery where that was removed along with 2 more hemmorhoids on 6/2/10. I am about 2 1/2 weeks post op and still in pain. I have some bleeding and it is still painfull to have a BM. I have been using motrin and destin. The doctor has just given me a script for Lidocaine. I am hoping that will help. I am tired of laying in the house and not really being able to do anything. I'm glad I found this site to know I'm not the only one out there having issuses. I was not sure of the recovery time on a surgery like this but from what I have seen on other sites it states recovery could be from 2 wks to 2 months.
Well good luck on your next surgery , I hope it goes well for you!

I had a hemorrhoidectomy on 2-28-2011. I left the hospital without voiding (urinating)-no one had checked to make sure I could go, which was supposed to be protocol. So I had to go to the ER and had a foley catheter for two days before I could void independently. Then on day 3 after the surgery, I still had no bowel movement (BM) and contacted my doctor. I spoke with his nurses who had me take milk of magnesia, lactolose, drink hot liquids...etc. All this time though I had been taking a stool softner along with pain meds that constipate you and Benefiber. On Thursday, I ended up using two kinds of enemas-mineral oil and the regular one with sodium. Finally with this combination, I was able to have a BM and I had a lot come out-each one painful...but after the last one came out, I started to bleed (BM were hard and caused the bleeding) non-stop that my husband had to dial 911. The bleeding finally stopped at the hospital, they had to pump a lot of fluid in me to raise my blood pressure. The ER doctor said that he could do a blood transfusion or not because I was in the grey area. I decided NOT to have the blood transfusion and hence am anemic-today, which is 3-8-11. (It will take a couple of months for me to build up my blood.) Anyways, I ended up in the hospital from Thursday evening until Monday afternoon. I wanted to make sure that I felt safe to go home which meant, soft stools and almost no blood, which my doctor agreed with. When I was at the hospital, Friday they gave me a tablespoon of mineral oil which worked the next day (12 hours later) and really really made it easier, still painful. Right now I am on Metamucil and Senokot two times a day (at 8am and 8pm) to have soft BM (about twice daily) for at least a month per my doctor (to prevent bleeding non stop again) and then I will wean off them. I do have two little things down there-I am not sure if they are skin tags or hemorrhoids again (from pushing on Thursday). My doctor said that they couldn't be hemorrhoids because they take time to build up, which he had removed during my surgery, when I was at the hospital. I will have my check up with him tomorrow and he will let me know exactly what they are. I pray they are internal hemorrhoids rather than external hemorrhoids if that's what they are because my doctor was able to use a rubber band and got rid of an internal hemorrhoid the same day. I can't even think of redoing this operation again ever. If I were to do it all again, I would have been using Metamucil and Senokot for one week straight before the operation. Then the day of the operation for at least 3 days straight (if not 5 days), drink mineral oil once a day to help with BM. I thank God that I am alive. I had just given birth to a beautiful baby girl in December.

I had a hemorrhoidectomy on 2/23/11. I am still in excruciating pain almost all day, every day. I am still taking pain killers and otc to try and get some relief. I had my first bm 3 days after surgery and it was okay...it was the 2nd one that was horrible. I t was the most painful thing ever and I have given birth 3 times (2 without any pain meds). Today, I sat down to urinate. I. Thought I had to pass gas, but was horrified when I passed a blod clot the size of a golf ball! Don't know if I should be worried or not. I don't have any other bleeding so I am not sure where it came from

Hi everyone, I had my surgery on 08/02/11. My surgeon flew to Canada the day after the operation and left me with no instructions on how to care for the site. I've called his office and his nurse is of no help either. the only paperwork
I recieved ended up being instructions for general surgery. it's been 5 days with no bm, and the pain was tolerable yesterday but has left me screaming in pain in several incedents today, yet this is still an improvement from days 1 - 3. i had a strange thing inside me that at first I couldn't tell if it was skin or not. his nurse told me to try and pull it out and it ended up being something like a tampon. i don' t know what to do. I think my sutures have come loose in one spot but I can only look at it through a mirror. the spot is bright pink and looks like the tiny vesicles of a piece of citrus fruit. it has gone from a stabbing to a throbbing and now a burning pain. all of which have been among the worst pains of my life. advice for anyone considering this surgery: dont use my doctor.