New Reply New Topic Followed by 13 people

Had my surgery 11 months ago. OMG recovery was a nightmare but I am so glad I went through it. I had been a sufferer from the age of 17 to 34 and really had not realized the extent to which my quality of life had deteriorated. My advice: DO NOT STRAIN! And if you habe more than a few spots/streaks of blood be very careful. 2 weeks out of my surgery, what I thought was regular post-op drops of blood turmed into sever hemorraging that landed me in ER and nearly took my life. No joke. I lost nearly 2 liters of blood in about 30-60 min. Take the full complement of prescription and OTC softeners religiously with toms of water. Also take metamucil full dose twice a day (3 wouldnt hurt). I had sever pain after both surgeries (original then emergency) for about 2.5 to 3 weeks before it tapered off. Afterwards, if I got lazy on the softeners I would hurt some and see blood spots. Well simce I had the emergency already, I had no problem gettimg back on track. If you are straining and nothimg is there I believe what you are really feelimg back there is the swelling and extra sensitivity. Less so that you actually have to go. The metamucil helped a ton because as soon as you sit, you know its the real thing coming and its quick. Hope thisbhelos someone. Great news for me; by 8nweeks post op with my blood counta back up and surgical sight healed, i was ready to take on the world. Now at 35 I have the energy of a 21 yr old!

That is a bold face lie!!

I just had a hemorrhoidectomy on 6-13-2017. I was suppose to go home after the surgery. Well once I got home I was walking from my car to my bed I fainted. I believe I had a bad reaction to the Dememorl and morphine and anthesia. Ambulance had to take me back to the hospital. It was hard for me to breath and I was pale and had a fever. I ended up staying in the hospital to 6-16-2017. The pain was so unbearable. I could barely walk. They had to give me delaulid pain meds every four hours. I was starting to become nauseous. The pain from this surgery was the worst I've ever had. I had a hysterectomy 4 years ago and I've had two children and I will take all that pain over this surgery. That is how bad my pain was. I would say today 6-22-2017 I'm able to tolerate pain with Motrin. Now my issue is I haven't had a bm and it's been 8 days. I've tried milk of magnesia, colace, hot baths. Waiting for the dr to call me back. Good luck to you if your planning on having this surgery. I will never do this surgery ever again.

I had surgery 3.5 weeks ago and am just turning the corner....i take movicol as a stool softener once a day as it is gental....the more i had a bm each day was extemely painful.....sometimes 4/5 times a day....still painful after bm...still taking oxynorm and targen for pain releif ....could not sit or stand very well for the first two weeks....

Hi I'm on day 13 and all I keep doing is having the urge to push it comes on so quick and fast I don't have time to do much which is normal a painful bit of wind along with some poop did anyone else have this problem
Thanks

Its true, dont beleive all the horror stories. Ive had the operation 2 days ago and im already feeling better. Had 3 huge hemeroids removed. Had my 1st BM on the 2nd morning, it was painful, but it is bareble and i didnt force anything and immediately got in the bath...there was a bit of blood but as soon as youre in the bath the pain subsides and the bleeding stops. Sat in bath for 15 minutes. Had 3 BMs already...2nd one was also painful but slightly better than the 1st. Then jumped in the bath again with iodene sulution. Had the 3rd one at 11 at night....almost had no pain. Begin taking the stool softners immediately after the operation and continue until you are 100% fine again. Never force a BM...go when you have to go...or just as your normal routine....so if you go in the morning, go in the morning. But as the previous guest said...drink alot of fluids water, 100% apple juice and high fibre food. But dont eat big quantities...rather drink more fluids. On the 1st day when they removed the plug (gause) it wasnt painful at all...just uncomfortable. And the i bleeded quite a bit. But just had to go sit in bath but didnt. Bleeding eventually stopped and was wearing a pad. So the 1st day afyer the op i was almost depro and think why the hell did i let this operation be done. Look its still only day 2 and obviously not healed yet. But after 1 week ill be MUCH better....and after 2 weeks ill be back to normal and better.
Just rest as much as possible....take the pain meds and stool softeners as prescribed, fluids, fibre food and i can almost promise you will be okey. Look after yourself..dont do any straining activities or lift heavy objetcs n stuff and you will be fine. Pian meds work...only time the dont really help much is for the 1st 2 or BMs....but again..its painful ofcourse..but still bareble...its not that your gonna pass out from pain :D....do ALL the things i said on this post. And ull be runni g around in 2-3 weeks. Hope this helps someone. Cheers

Yeah that happens....but thats mar the effect of the stool softener. ..the winds....that will also go away still....ull see ;)

Hope and patience are the only two words for us, 2 days prior I have had my surgery done urination is not a problem but still no stool have passed
May be before operating they had given me enema and the bowels were completely evacuated

Hi - although this thread is old I found it after googling tummy pain after h-echoey, which I had yesterday afternoon. For anyone else reading this post the "tampon type thing" is inserted by the doctor as a dressing to help control bleeding. I was told it would either come out on its own when passed or dissolve. Mine came out yesterday early evening and was excruciating pain - worse than childbirth and had me sweating, shaking and really struggling to control it. However after that the pain has subsided considerably and seems tolerable on codydromol. Its early days but feel very lucky so far that i seem in less pain than some others who have been on this and other sites. Fingers crossed it carries on this way, but my sympathies are with those who are undoubtedly in serious pain after this op. I really looked after my health before the surgery - lots of walking, lost excess weight, reduced alcohol and takeaways etc. Maybe that has helped? In terms of helping to ease the pain now a freezer bag with ice definitely helps when placed on my bum! Good luck everyone.

Trust in yourself you will pull through

Did the pain get better? I had my surgery one week ago and my biggest problem too is post BM pain and soreness! I am hopeless .. :(

O.K. for all of you that are freaked about about your first BM after surgery, this what I did! First of all I suffer from IBS, the constipation kind. So I was really dreading my first BM. I Took psyllium husk( fiber) with 3 stool softeners in the A.M. and 2 dulcolax tabs that evening. and I had no problem the next morning. I wouldn't even call it painful. I do, however recommend advil or tylenol over vicodin, they take the edge off with out constipating you. Plus sitz bath 3 times a day. This really helps! good luck every one . I hope this is a help to you!

Plain old vaseline helped me. After you shower or bath dry off and rub vaseline around your anus. Drops out so easy!

I have never been in so much pain in my life and I've had 5 kids with no epidural and one was breech! I am one week out and would literally go through labor again vs pooping right now!