This was a very academic book on stuttering. It was written primarily for physicians, though people who stutter (and their friends/family) may find some value in the book. It describes (in technical detail) and defines stuttering and talks about how stuttering happens. It does not answer the question of why, which is a question that nobody has an answer for, but it does reveal the mechanics of how stuttering occurs. The authors reveal that stuttering is partially genetic, but not always. The book shows how complex a behavior stuttering is.

The book does get into the treatment of stuttering, both for children and adults. The one thing I would like to note about this is that it seems like the sections on treatment is geared more to speech therapists rather than a patient. It gives an idea of how a physician should treat stuttering, but not the actual techniques used. This book is more of a reference than a self-therapy book, so if you are thinking about getting this book, please understand what kind of book it is. It is highly technical and detailed for the physician, and only in short sections did I find value in it as a stutterer.

Being a life long stutterer I can tell you that while most books and treatments work well in a lab setting they rarely work outside the lab.

And I'm almost willing to bet that most of the treatments in the book I've been through at one time or another.

Nice book review.

There weren't very many treatments actually described in the book. It was just so technical and physician orientated that i had to force myself to finish it. I do have a book out from the library called Self-Therapy for the Stutterer that i'll eventually get to. Maybe that'll show me something i haven't used, or don't really remember.