What can anyone tell me about HbA1c lab tests and why are they done when a person can check their blood sugars at home and have results from the meter?  It doesn't seem like it should be done just for that reason.  Is ther ea difference between how that boold in analyzed with a Ac and if so, what is the diffence in readings about?  It seems weird that they check it every 3 months.  Why is that the case?  Why not monthly or every 6 months, perhaps yearly?  If anyone has any information that would be cool.  My wife has these lab tests done and I know she is afraid of needles.  If I can find out a way to limit blood tests being performed on her, I will do it.  I know the pricking of her fingers is bad enough.  Thank goodness she doesn't have to take insulin shots.  I hope to get my answers here on this forum.  Thanks!

An A1c is done to see how much glucose is attached to the red blood cells after three months.  The red blood cells will die off in this amount of time so this gives a result defined by an average which tells the doctor if the patient is still having high amounts of glucose in their blood.  If their pancreas was working sufficiently, there would not be excess glucose in the bloodstream.  However, if the average is high, this means that number exceeding 130 mg/dl or more as an average is doing damage to a person.  Excess glucose damages internal organs such as the eyes, liver, kidneys, and many of the blood vessels of the extremities.  To remain diligent on the battle against diabetes, testing needs to be done every day at home if blood sugars are not within normal range.  That way the doctor knows what is working and what is not.  A1c is a good tool to assess the effectiveness of diabetic treatment.