With all the advertisements and publicity about commercial supplements, high calorie drinks, vitamins, snack bars, and the like, I am a little bit confused. It’s no wonder we haven’t bought some hoping either we’ll have more energy or feel younger than our years. That’s what the ads would have us believe, but actually I don’t know much about that. For the start, I would like to hear real definition of calorie, because I don’t know much about it.

Unit of heat defined as the quantity of heat required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree centigrade at atmospheric pressure. A unit of heat equal to the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one kilogram of water by one degree at one atmosphere pressure. It is used by nutritionists to characterize the energy-producing potential in food. An outdated unit measuring energy and now replaced by the joule unit, one calorie is the amount of heat energy required to hear 1 squared centimeter of water by 1 degree Celsius. That is biological definition of calorie. We all probably have counted calories at one point in our life and now in our older years we may be counting calories again. But this time reason should be different. We need to count calories for insuring that we maintain our weight and that our weight is above the minimum standard for our height. Calories are important, because if calories are inadequate, we lose weight. Adequate calories, our weight remain the same, and more than adequate calories, we gain weight.