New Reply New Topic Followed by 13 people

HI THERE ITHE DAY AFTER I HAVE HAD SOME ALCOHOL I SEEM TO SUFFER FROM EXTREME KNEE ACHE. THE ONLY OTHER TIME I HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS IS WHEN I HAVE BEEN QUITE ILL AND UNABLE TO GET MUCH SLEEP. COULD MY JOINTS ACHING BE RELATED TO THE DRINKING? YESTERDAY EVENIN AT MY FRIENDS I HAD 3 VERY SMALL GLASSES OF WINE AND WE WERE SAT IN HER LOUNGE AND TODAY I AM SUFFERING WITH THIS TERRIBLE PAIN. PLEASE HELP
X

Hey! I'm sorry to see no one has replied, because the same thing happens to me too! Except it happens 2-4 hours later instead of the very next day.

fwiw, i have been doing some research on the subject of joint health since i have been diagnosed with bursitis and tendonitis in the shoulders and wrists, and have noted that alcohol does tend fall into the category of generally detrimental to most joint conditions, as does smoking, for whoever might run across this...

however, as to the timing of any negative effects, such as in your case the next day, i did not notice any specific mention of that; i have personally noted though that imbibing does seem to produce increased discomfort to my afflictions the very next day... as to the ongoing effect, i believe that the "findings" generally tended to imply that long term use of alcohol did result in degradation of joint problems... i would think that wine might be beneficial due to the antioxidant properties, but i do not recall any information that delineated between type of alcohol and negative or positive effect (not to say that there isn't any info on that, just that i did not notice it...)... might be best to avoid alcohol in general and go lite on the wine, particularly if you are on any meds for your condition...

This happens to me as well, I usually wake up the next day with severe pain, but it has woken me in the past, so not sure how long it takes to kick in, but I always get it. I have cut down on the amount I drink as more than 4/5 drinks means I am bedridden the next day because they are so painful. they have a tendency to swell also.

I have been trying to find out what is the cause is of my knee pain for the last few years as I have the exact same problem, it also happens the next day. Normally after I've had a big night.

wish someone had an answer :-(

Hi all- I am very concious of how alcohol affects my joints as well. I have a family history of Rhumatoid Arthritis, and I have noticed that when I am dehydrated, or have a lack of sleep, I too have joint pain, but in my hands. This is more noticable after drinking,(I drink far too much- I'm very social). I also notice in my upper back and jaw. I tried to stick with wine, but I found that sometimes red wine made all symptoms worse. I started staying away from beer, too. It made my hands swell up & achy. Anyway, I've noticed the blonde alcohols tend cause less symptoms. Also, and this is a good practice- i drink a glass of water between each drink & before bed. One more thing- sleep. Try to get extra after a night of drinking. The alcohol robs you of deep sleep & water, which could contribute to the aches & pains.

This happens to me too! I'm only 19, and in agony the next day, it's just my knees, no where else...although, I always put it down to excessive dancing rather than alcohol...but now I think about it, they could be related!

I was hoping someone would answer because the same thing happens to me.

I get this knee pain thing and sadly it does seem to be alcohol related. My Doctor says not though. I put it down to hard floors at work but bought special insoles and had X rays etc. but I am none the wiser. I reckon the dehydration route is work persuing. I'm going to try drinking more water. (Yuk!)

I'm glad too see i'm not the only one with pain after i drink i too have the same symptoms. i get joint pain in my wrists after an hour of drinking. this started when i was in college and now 10 years later i barely drink and just one glass of wine- gets my wrists soar. i usually pop an aleve and i'm good but without the aleve i can't go to sleep bc of the aches in my hands and wrists. i'm going to ry drinking more water. a lot of the links on the internet seem to link join pain after drinking to GOUT. i wonder... i will be addressing this with my next doctor visit.

Glad I read this Post, Ive recently noticed that following a night on the drink I'm turned into a slow motion image of my normally healthy self, due to joint pain. Mostly Knees and Hip, and lower back pain but also on wrists and elbow joints as well.

After a few days it gets better but when I drink again it returns, looks like I will have to re-think things, especially after reading this thread. Its took me a while to link this pain to alcohol consumption.

Thanks to all who posted. :-P

This is amazing! I get this too, but only in one knee and only since I had surgery on it several years ago. I'm sure it's dehydration-related though - I haven't had a drop of alcohol for weeks but was out in the sun yesterday and I was woken up at 3am this morning in agony!
Moral of the story is "keep hydrated", I suppose.

Sometimes when you drink wine it crystalises and therefore causes pain in the joints. These crystals dont take long to form in the joints !

Count me in the club- after a big weekend of boozing, my joints (especially ankles and knees) tend to become inflamed. Achilles tendon sometimes too- I thought it might be gout for awhile, but tested negative for that. Instead, I'm beginning to think that it's just good old fashioned dehydration. Most anti-inflamatories are terrible for you if you've been drinking, so I just stay off it, drink lots of water, and try to take it easy.

Hi, my boyfreind suffers terrible pain in his hip and he does drink a fair amount, usually miller and i wondered if this may be part of the cause as the pain usually kicks in a couple of hours after a drining session.