New Reply New Topic Followed by 16 people

Over the last year and a half my need to void has steadily increased to about one time an hour. However, on April 6th of this year, after masturbating to climax, I not only had the urge to void, but afterwards I still felt that I hadn't gone. I still felt full. I would go again in 15 minutes and actually void quite a bit. Yet, when I "finished" it still felt like I still needed to go. It was the most horrible feeling. After about a week I went to my GP who referred me to a urologist.

The urologist did a urine culture and it came back negative. I had two bladder ultrasounds and they came out normal. He then had me get a cup and measure my urine output. I was going about 15 to 20 times per day.

From April 6th until April 27th I refrained from any sexual activity since masturbating seemed to be the cause of the problem. On the 27th I had a followup appointment with my urologist and he assured me that masturbation to climax had absolutely nothing to do with my problem and he prescribed me Vesicare. At this point I was feeling much better although I had a very low-grade desire to void, but when I was distracted/busy it was fairly easy to forget the issue.

When I got home I had the urge to masturbate, which I did, and my problem came back with a vengence as it did after I masturbated on the 6th. I had the same urge to void, I would go into the restroom void normally and still feel like I hadn't gone. It lasted this time for about three day and then retreated to where I was feeling better. At this point I was petrified of masturbating again for fear it would come back so I kept myself busy. Even though I didn't not engage in anything sexual, five days later May 4th I began to have the same severe symptoms as I did on the 6th and 27th of April, but this time it was not precipitated by masturbation. Today is May 14th and I've spent the weekend just miserable not knowing what to do. I'm taking Visacare 10 mgs daily plus an anti-biotic Doxcyclicline 100 mg two times daily, but it isn't really improving the situation.

What's bizarre is that I feel absolutely no pain anywhere, whatsoever. I void normally. Nothing hurts or burns. I have no aches or pains. The only symptoms I have is this maddening urge to void all the time. I can void pretty much every 15 minutes, but I try to make myself wait for at least 30 to 45 minutes as uncomfortable as it is. I void when I go, but never feel like I empty bladder. I walk out of the restroom and still feel full with the urgency to void.

My doctor wants me to go see a psychologist because he thinks that I'm creating the problem in my head. Is that actually possible, based on my history, or is just that they can't figure out what is wrong with me?

Over the past month, I've had intermittent bouts of frequency/urgency (i.e. overactive bladder) coupled with weak stream/hesitancy due to BPH. I'm taking doxazosin to relax the urethra muscles to make voiding easier but this hasn't cured the frequency issues. I also was put on a course of Cipro despite testing negative for UTI (it was prescribed originally for prostatitis).

For me, the anxiety it creates does seem to make the frequency/urgency worse but at the same time, it also isn't something that is only being concocted in my head because if that were the case, little urine would be coming out. The worst was around 2 weeks ago when I would feel like going every five minutes and I'd be peeing out a few milliliters each time (mostly clear and odorless). My bladder and urethra would also have this "itchy" (for lack of a better description) feel on top of the constant urge which made having a good nights sleep impossible. This became so frustrating and annoying that I jokingly referred to myself as Sir Pee-A-Lot (laughing about it helped me urinate a bit easier due to the weak stream I intermittently have). Since then, I also bought one of those hospital style plastic containers to urinate into so that I don't have to constantly make the trip to the toilet. The container has measurement markers and the most I've peed out over a 4 hour period was 700ml.

Doctors who recommend seeing a psychologist are pretty much copping out of finding out the problem though and doing their patients a disservice since these kind of issues could have many possible causes (interstitial cystitis, atonic bladder, neurogenic bladder, diabetes, pelvic floor dysfunction, etc). Having read your posts, I seriously doubt your urinary issues are being created in your head.

Honestly I'm going through the exact same thing as you right now, and I can say pretty confidently that it is anxiety. I've been on anti-depressants now for a few days and it has almost stopped. I know your pain, this exact thing has almost destroyed my life.

Did the anti depressants help? and can you get off of them?

Okay. First off, know how you feel is absolutely REAL. You feel like using the restroom every 5 minutes because your bladder is experiencing anxiety that you haven't quite dealt with yet. I know this from firsthand experience. A small story:

About five years ago, my life changed dramatically with the selling of my home, quitting my career, moving out of state, starting graduate school, a death in my family and a new engagement. It was quite dramatic but nonetheless I stayed focused. After a few months of these changes, I noticed that one day I had to go to the bathroom about 3 times in one hour. I figured I might have a bit of a bladder infection, so I went to my ob/gyn, took medication, and with the craziness of school, totally forgot about my "issue".

Fast forward about 7 months to about 4 days after my wedding. My husband and I were getting ready to go on our honeymoon and those frequent urges to urinate came back. I figured that it was an infection, went to the doctor, took my antibiotics with me and thought that would be the end of that. No such luck.

While on my honeymoon, these urges became worse and worse and before you know it, I felt like I had to urinate every 5 minutes. It was absolutely horrifying. We returned home and I immediately went to my doctor. I was checked for everything under the sun, diabetes, etc. I was told to stay away from certain foods (didn't help), told to only drink water with a certain amount of alkaline in it (didn't help), drink marshmallow tea (didn't help), etc. etc. I then began to think incessantly and non-stop about this issue. Going online and reading stories about interstitial cystitis (which I had convinced myself I had) were terrifying me. I then began to experience anxiety (which I never had) and was absolutely scared. At that point, my husband and I realized that we were entering a pretty scary phase and so I went to a psychologist to discuss this.

After a lengthy conversation about all the changes that I had experienced (and alot of crying about other stuff I never realized that I was feeling), my doctor prescribed Lexapro for depression. At that point I was pretty stunned to be told that I was suffering from depression, but in my case, anxiety was the first tell-tale sign of what was to come. As soon as I began to deal (for lack of a better phrase) with my anxiety and depression, the bladder urges completely went away.

All in all, I spent about a solid 6 weeks being extremely depressed (anxiety dissipated as soon as depression set in) but thereafter the medication kicked in and my depression symptoms were relieved. With alot of talk therapy, a good physician, supportive family and friends, I've been able to become a much happier and healthier person. It was as if my own body was telling me, "Look you! You haven't paid attention to me! So i'm going to make the bladder move a million times an hour until you deal with some stuff!" As soon as I did, the bladder was healed.

All I can say is that you're going to get better. Please, do talk to someone and don't be scared. It will be okay.

All the best.

I have a story too,

I had a lot of change in my life too, I had met a great man and we decided to get married, we did! I had a child frm another relationship, he adopted her. We moved in together, we started our new life. With-in three month of getting married, we got pregnant! We had our second child. My Mother got very sick, and needed surgery. Then my Father took ill. Then my step-Father became ill with very bad depression. Then my daughter started having behavorial problems, which was only about 3. My son came along with was the worst crying baby I think ALIVE, I love him with all my HEART, but man could that child CRY! Then my husband and I started having marital problems, because of his parent's, who started becoming unbelievable. His Father was out there totally, and we finally cut all ties. Then we got the call that his Mother had Parkison's disease. Then his Father had a nervous break-down. Then this year his Uncle killed himself! In the time of four years passing we had so much disaster it wasn't time enough for us to enjoy anything. Then the BIG one came my Father was taken to the hospital heart attack they thought, nope was medication and bad reaction. Then everything seem to calm, and suddenly I started to calm,
BANG, I started to get depressed! I also tend to have ocd worrisome problems too. This ties in though, because I seem to worry about everything. We purchased my dream vehicle and spent a lot of money on it, then about six months after we got it, I started to think of all the reasons I shouldn't have it. Until I actually started to think it was bad-luck, not very logical here I know, but there is where the OCD comes in.
My point is this, suddently I started to have this constant need to urinate, however I did have a UTI. However, afterwards it was gone, but I still had this awful worrisome feeling about it and I thought and thought and thought about it, I was thinking I was peeing to much. I had sugar, I had bladder something other, I drove myself almost nuts. Then it came to me, I need something to worry about! I get some sorta relief in worry about something. I believe that you can worry yourself into a illness.
I agree too, with the lady who said her stresses caught up to her, yes your body can talk to you for sure! Also there is such a thing as anxiety causing your nervous sytem to over-react, which in return for you could be your bladder. It could be picking up on a tense bladder muscle, which you could be doing yourself! Hence this, if you think about peeing you will have to pee, try this
Go to a party and say I have to pee, you will notice many other peopel will suddenly think they have to as well.
I mean it could be medical don't get me wrong, but don't for one minute think if all medical tests come back it ALRIGHT, then lean maybe towards the anxiety thing.
There is this medical theory or practical possibly, something about worring and the pelvic floor muscles contracting and signaling you have to urinate, hence going out on to stage in front of a 1000 people you get nervous and have to pee! So talking is another good thing to. I actually enjoy talking my problems out, it helps you out totally! You are playing it smart you are ruling out any possible medical, FIRST! Take care, the best to you.

Wow, this really relates to what I am going through, re: depression, anxiety and urinary incontinence. I'm a male and I'm in my early 20s...

So, I am recovering from a severe injury to a tendon in my knee. I required surgery to repair the tendon, and it's been about a year now (still recovering, though mostly better from that). I was unable to bear weight on my injured leg for 3 months (then suffered an ankle injury which stretched this to about 4.5 months), Walked with a cane through a very icy winter, forced myself to stay in school and endure hell, and was pretty immobile as far as things go.

Now, for the first 2 months post-op, I was holding my urine more than normal, though not exactly realizing it so much. It became WORSE. Much much worse. It started with some dribbling of urine, but my symptoms have gradually evolved. I have, at periods of time, experienced urinary retention, overactive bladder, incomplete voiding, dribbling (every time I urinate for quite a while now), embarrassment, anxiety, etc. A typical day of school has been: wake up, urinate first thing, shower, go to school. The urge to urinate usually kicked in 30 mins into my first class of the day. Some days I'd go for many hours straight, and I'd always be too embarrassed to urinate, because I would have to go through the extra measures to make sure the dribbling has stopped, which often takes several minutes.

Another annoying symptom was what I call "phantom urge", which is different from incomplete voiding. Sometimes I know I have completely emptied my bladder, but regardless of this, the physiological act of "holding" just seems to happen, and I am unable to stop it once it has reached a certain point. I've spent hours of class just clenching my teeth through abdominal pain from this problem. Funny enough, I've found that alcohol gets rid of this symptom, but aggravates urinary frequency (so when I drink it's only ever one...)

So I talked to my urologist about this, and he told me that I am probably just experiencing flow problems becuase of excess coffee (I rarely drink more than 1 a day, though I've now cut that to 1 every few days). Which is normal. He also told me to push up and forward on the perineum to drain excess urine. Now, I do this and it does drain excess urine, but more urine ALWAYS pushes its way out of my urethra. From everything I've read on the internet this is stress incontinence due to weakened pelvic muscles (from excess holding).

Now, one problem I frequently experience is a delay in starting urination. Sometimes I cannot urinate at all, but generally if I focus enough in the minutes prior to urinating on relaxation, I can save myself wasted trips. I've noticed that this delay is DIRECTLY connected to the anxiety of my situation and that my attempts to reduce the anxiety actually reduce symptoms significantly. Now, I had a horribly nightmarish episode recently when I went camping with a few hundred people.

I had been having trouble sleeping due to insomnia, and so my muscles were really bugging me. My knee for one, which made it hard to find a suitable location away from people to go, and my pelvic floor muscles. Basically, for about 48 hours I could not sleep, and I could urinate in about 1 and 3 attempts, usually having to walk half a kilometre to get to my destination, sometimes just wandering around the woods waiting for the urge to be strong enough that I can go. This made it harder to sleep, and not sleeping made my bladder worse, and to top it off, I was constipated, putting excess pressure on my pelvis. The anxiety of this situation pushed me into a REALLY bizarre delirium. I remember at one point I didn't drink fluids for a couple of hours because of the constant urge to go, and an inability to go. I tried urinating, and a few drops of really concentrated yellow came out. In response I drank a ton of water and about 30 mins later my urine was clear and my flow was very strong.

This experience also reinforced my sheer willpower to make this problem go away. It's a mixture of physiological and psychological factors. The day after getting back from the woods I had virtually no symptoms. They're coming back, but I think I've stumbled upon the solution to my problems, which is reducing the anxiety feedback loop which turns the harmless symptom of dribbling into a nightmare.

I am not sure if anyone will read this because the post was so old, but its all about going to pelvic floor specialist, or therapist... With all the new research everyone is starting to realize the pelvic floor problems are just not in women, but in men...If you are in the Chicago land area i recommend seeing judy florendo she is a great pelvic floor specialist, she helped me out beyond belief and i am about 90% healed right now.....

Hello. I also have this problem too. Im 13 years old and I feel the urge to pee every 5-15 minutes. The other night i had a panic attack because i had to tell my mom the biggest secret ever (which i wont discuss) but it was a big secret! I play in vollleyball and i get stressed out when my team loses. I get very stressed out over many things like Too much work(whicch i have recently) and just other issues that i should worry about.. I am starting to feel like there is nothing I can do. My mom has trying making appointments with a pyhscoligist to help me with supposively stress,anxiety,or depression.. I have no idea why all of this started.. I have never had this problem before and it is ruining my life! Oh and I'm positive that I dont have a UTI becuase there is no pain! But I have been trying to hold it whenever i can feel the mucles in my bladder saying I have to pee.. But I cant be dealing with this because i had a trip coming up for christmas vacation ad It's a 10 hour drive which will drive me crazy with the urge! So this post is old but does anyone what i should do?

Hello, I like to share a testimony of the same kind of ailment you're all experiencing. I just moved out of state and into a new state where I knew no one because I took a job offer in Corrections. I have had frequent pee breaks during my trip to my new home. Also, during the academy, I took frequent trips to the restroom. By the way, I had to follow certain protocols like stand at attention and ask the staff member for permission to use the restroom. you can imagine how awkward that must have been. And embarassing. Everytime I use the restroom, After I urinate, a little comes out. I make an effort not to be obvious to my fellow cadets. Also, I got up around midnight everytime to use the restroom. This went on for eight weeks since I moved.
After graduation(thank God I made it through), I still experienced the same problem. I went to see my doctor and explained that I've had urinary problems such as frequent trips to the restroom and occasional leakage and also shared that I have had anxiety issues in the past as well. He tested my urine for any possible prostate, bladder, or kidney problems. all came up negative. He concluded that this was an anxiety issue.
I endured some of this at work not as frequently as before since I graduated the academy. I can reasonalby conclude that it was anxiety causing it. But, all of this changed after one occasion.
I am a Christian and I remember reading the scriptures about divine healings of the sick and afflicted. I went to my church and was led by a friend to ask the elders and congregation to pray over me and anoint me with oil. I just mentioned to the elders that I was experiencing physical infirmities since I moved here, but didn't speicify what it was. (Didn't need to because God the Father knows everything). So, it was done. Since that time I experienced little to no more problems since then with frequent trips to the restroom and the leakage is very rare. Nowadays, I go 8-10 times daily now. Urinating is no longer a concern for me.
I'm not sure if you all or any of you share my beliefs, but I thought I share this experience with you because I believe it was preordained for me to do so.
If you are a believer and have accepted Jesus Christ, ask your elders or church leaders to pray over you that the Holy Spirit will come upon you and that your ailment and infirmity will be lifted from you. But, pray to God first before doing this and get the direction of the Holy Spirit. God loves church healings because it brings together the community for a single purpose. The healing will happen when God wills it. Remember it is subject to God's will. If medicine is not cutting it, then this may be what you're supposed to do.
For all others, Jesus is the way. Medicine (Not knocking that) will help you to an extent, but Jesus will take away your anxiety and all related issues and ultimately and more importantly will give you the gift of eternal life in God's kingdom.
Here are a list of verses which relate to divine healing: Matthew 8:14-17, Mark 6:13, Isaiah 63:9, 1 Peter 5:7 (There are more)

I hope this helps and I have faith that it will. I know this is a horrible experience, but with the grace of god you will all triumph. :-D

I am 18 years old and was once able to pee only once or twice a day with no problem. I have been experiencing the same thing for the past 6 months. In late June I had a severe UTI which had caused me a lot of stress and paranoia in the sense that I never wanted to get it again. The UTI cleared up but in August I realized that my urge to urinate increased so I automatically thought it was a UTI even though I had no other symptom of an infection. I was put on UTI antibiotics with no results, which stressed me out even more in the sense that I just started my first (ever) semester of college and was incredibly anxious. The frequent urge to pee just continued to increase to the point where there was no minute of my life where I didn’t feel as though I wanted to void, and when I did little to no pee came out. I began to stress about this problem the more I thought about it. I went visited my general doctor who referred me to an OBGYN, who then referred me to a Urologist who then found nothing wrong with me physically but said this could me a mental thing. Life just kept getting more stressful, I began to have sever relationship issues with my boyfriend of three years, soon after an uncle passed away, followed by another uncle being sent to intensive care, this all happened within finals week. The urge to urinate continued and I was put on a medication that would relax my bladder muscles in hopes of lessening the need to urinate. The medication didn’t really change anything to much and for some reason I felt as though it couldn’t just be anxiety or stress since I was already an incredibly anxious person who didn’t experience the urge to pee during very stressful situations until now. Although the urges began to reduce from every ten minutes to ever two hours. The day after new years my father was sent to emergency and the relationship with the boyfriend began to get rough again, my urges than increased to an extreme again, I than fully believed it was due to stress and anxiety. Once finally accepting it I continued to try to reduce stress and anxiety in my life and have began to see slight improvements. I hope things get better with the urges and would advise anyone who is in the same situation to not give up. Feeling like you have to pee every minute of your life can drive you nuts and can cause stress of its own, but the thing to do is to just breath, try taking walks to reduce stress, remove high amounts of sugar and caffeine in your diet and try to relax.

Has anyone found any suggestions for reducing their anxiety and did it make the pee urge stop?

:'( sigh. On one hand i am relieved that i am not alone in the world.. but on the other, i feel so terrible for you all. It is really hard sometimes, even when you have been diagnosed with anxiety to accept that it is probably causing all of your troubles.... I am 23 and have been suffering from severe anxiety and panic attacks since i was 12. The worst part was/and still is urinary symptoms.. They send me completely nuts! I spent 8 years taking anti-depressants and it did help with my symptoms, it just gave me a ton of other side effects to deal with and didnt really help me deal with what was actually causing the anxiety in the first place... Soo... what seems like a billion years on i am currently so messed up that i spend $300 a week seeing a psychiatrist. I do not recommend covering up these issues with anti depressants... it is really something that has to be dealt with... with a lot of therapy!

hi all
have similar problems myself ,anxiety causes alot of nerve problems

i dont know if anyone would read this because i see its very old, but i thought i'd try my luck... i recently have been getting the urge to urinate daily every few minutes, like it comes to the point where i actually get angry because i constantly have to go, and when i do go its ALWAYS small amounts, i never feel any burning sensations, no pain, nothing. i have been sexually active with my bf but we use protection.. currently im studying for my hsc and school can stress students alot, especially that i have alot of other problems in my life with family and my bf, this year i went to see a doctor for all this stress, and ive been suffering from depression, i get alot of mood swings, its effecting my relationship with friends family and my bf, my results havnt been so great so far, ive got half a year left and i really wanna make up for it, i dont have any other symptoms for pregancy or diabetes, i would appreciate if anyone knew if the constant urination is from anxiety ? and if so how do i treat anxiety because it's pretty much taking over my life.
thankyou! :-)