So my wife came today from the hospital with the results of some tests that she did and she told me that she has hormonal imbalance. 

I have noticed that she is really nervous most of the time these days and I was wondering if hormonal imbalance could be the cause of anxiety. This is why I tried searching the internet and one article said that hormonal imbalance can cause anxiety and paranoia as well. I asked my wife about paranoia but she said that she isn't paranoid at all.

I hope that someone here has a first hand experience and could tell me if hormonal imbalance can cause anxiety and paranoia.

Contributor

If she says that she is not paranoid, then she probably isn't (unless she is lying to you so that you wouldn't be scared about her), but paranoia is really easy to notice, if you see your wife turning around while walking, if she shows in any way that she thinks someone is following her, then she is being paranoid.

Now, about your question, hormonal imbalance can be the cause of anxiety and paranoia but not on its own. You need more factors which will contribute to the development of anxiety and paranoia and these factors all together can cause these things.

Resident

Her being nervous is just the side effect of her hormonal imbalance (I suppose). The way I see it, if she continues to be nervous all the time and if that prolongs for some time, she can end up with anxiety. She might not have it now but she is definitely more prone to having it than the people who don't have hormonal imbalance.

You can help her out, you know. Hugs can help a lot, hugs can help with anything. Try and talk to her, try to get her mind off the problems, make her stop thinking about the things that are making her nervous in the first place.

Hey Eating Boss and Gaia,

Thanks for the time you took to help me out, I really appreciate it.

When you put it like that, then she isn't being paranoid, I never noticed her do any of the stuff that you've mentioned, Eating Boss.

On the other hand, I am afraid that she might start suffering from anxiety if that is not what is already going on. Anyway, I will do my best to be by her side no matter what and to help her out, I will also try and do the things that you have mentioned in your post above, Gaia.

Resident

Yes, you need to be there for her, ask her how was her day, allow her to open up to you. You need to be a really good friend to her in this situation. If this doesn't turn out to be good, if you think that she is suffering from anxiety and that the things that you are doing aren't helping, then she should probably seek professional help. I would suggest her, in this case, to start talking to a psychologist, something like twice a week. He might suggest her to use medications but I, on the other hand, would suggest her not to take them.