So my wife came today from the hospital with the results of some tests that she did and she told me that she has hormonal imbalance. 

I have noticed that she is really nervous most of the time these days and I was wondering if hormonal imbalance could be the cause of anxiety. This is why I tried searching the internet and one article said that hormonal imbalance can cause anxiety and paranoia as well. I asked my wife about paranoia but she said that she isn't paranoid at all.

I hope that someone here has a first hand experience and could tell me if hormonal imbalance can cause anxiety and paranoia.

Resident

If she says that she is not paranoid, then she probably isn't (unless she is lying to you so that you wouldn't be scared about her), but paranoia is really easy to notice, if you see your wife turning around while walking, if she shows in any way that she thinks someone is following her, then she is being paranoid.

Now, about your question, hormonal imbalance can be the cause of anxiety and paranoia but not on its own. You need more factors which will contribute to the development of anxiety and paranoia and these factors all together can cause these things.

Superstar

Her being nervous is just the side effect of her hormonal imbalance (I suppose). The way I see it, if she continues to be nervous all the time and if that prolongs for some time, she can end up with anxiety. She might not have it now but she is definitely more prone to having it than the people who don't have hormonal imbalance.

You can help her out, you know. Hugs can help a lot, hugs can help with anything. Try and talk to her, try to get her mind off the problems, make her stop thinking about the things that are making her nervous in the first place.

Hey Eating Boss and Gaia,

Thanks for the time you took to help me out, I really appreciate it.

When you put it like that, then she isn't being paranoid, I never noticed her do any of the stuff that you've mentioned, Eating Boss.

On the other hand, I am afraid that she might start suffering from anxiety if that is not what is already going on. Anyway, I will do my best to be by her side no matter what and to help her out, I will also try and do the things that you have mentioned in your post above, Gaia.

Superstar

Yes, you need to be there for her, ask her how was her day, allow her to open up to you. You need to be a really good friend to her in this situation. If this doesn't turn out to be good, if you think that she is suffering from anxiety and that the things that you are doing aren't helping, then she should probably seek professional help. I would suggest her, in this case, to start talking to a psychologist, something like twice a week. He might suggest her to use medications but I, on the other hand, would suggest her not to take them.

Superstar

Hi there.

I don't really think that hormonal imbalance can cause anxiety and paranoia. Actually, in so many cases doctors are almost sure that those things that create hormonal imbalances doesn't necessarily has to create anxiety. But sure that they can make it worse. 

I doubt that she is paranoid. I agree that her condition when she is nervous is connected with her anxiety disorder, but a lot of things can cause it. I know that ladies can't handle it really good, especially if they are pregnant or when they have their period - it is even worse and their hormones are crazier than usual. 

Hi. Well I am sure that hormonal imbalance can cause anxiety. I am not so sure about paranoia, but I am pretty much convinced that it can cause anxiety. Sure, when it comes to this situation you should definitely consider to find a professional help because hormonal imbalance can be really messed up and it can cause so many problems to you. I know because I had it and I believed that I can deal with it alone. Of course, I was not able to deal with it alone, without professional help. Anyway, here is what you can also do when you are feeling like this - you can do some exercises or for example, you can go jogging. I do that all the time.

Celebrity

Well, some people say that it can while some says that this is impossible. I will tell you just one thing, and I mean that - don't you ever - never underestimate the power of your hormones! Never! They have a lot of different effects on your brain chemicals and many ladies can suffer from annoying anxiety, depression and even paranoia. When brain and hormones are together, you can't never know what to expect.  My good friend had this as well, just like your wife and she was refusing to seek for help because she believed that she can handle this on her own...No, you can't! 

I totally agree with you Hannah. Hormonal balance and hormonal imbalance can be really strong. In one moment you are aware of things that are going on with you and the next thing - you don't even have an idea what is going on. It is really miserable time for one lady and you should really try to understand your wife and try to help her as much as you can. If she doesn't want your help telling you that you don't understand her (which can happen very often) try to find some female family member and tell her what is going on. Of course, some family member who you trust. ...But never let your wife alone in this. Never!

Celebrity

A lot of things can affect this. And you are totally right in this one Guest, female family member can be a great support to his wife.

You don't know what might cause this for her. Anyway, I know that one girl who was working at some project with me a couple of years ago had this experience as well, but I think that she was in menopause, so that explains a lot of things. Hormones are really wild in that period of life and it is hard to understand that.. 

I always vote for talking to someone who you know and whom you trust.