I cut my hair off some years ago, nearly completely, and I'm trying to regrow it right now. It has been just above shoulder length for at least eight months now, and I think it is in the resting (telogen?) phase. I would really like to get my hair length back and to reach at least bra strap length, so I was thinking, can lasers stimulate a hair growth spurt? 

I don't want to go through laser treatment for nothing but if it really works, I would really like to get my hair back to the way it was before I cut it by having laser treatment. 

Celebrity

I actually read that some of the lasers designed for hair removal tend to stimulate hair growth rather than removing it. That is not a nice side effect if you were looking to get rid of unwanted hair, and I definitely do not want to suggest that you use lasers for hair removal in places where you want more hair to grow, but it does suggest that lasers as such can in fact stimulate hair growth.

Several different products are on the market for this, to stimulate hair growth, and I would suggest that you look into individual products and look reviews up for them. HairMax is one company that produces lasers that are meant to encourage hair growth, for instance. 

Rosie

Health Advisor

Yeah, lasers can totally stimulate a hair growth spurt. I've actually been reading about this recently because I came across info about laser hair growth, and I'm pretty convinced it's true. Many laser hair devices are FDA approved for US people, and I think that only happens after a product has gone through rigorous testing. At the very least it's safe, but quite probably it will actually help grow your hair. Alongside laser though, you could also get some hair, nail & skin vitamins to work extra hard on that hair growth spurt. I get you. Growing your hair out can be frustrating! I've been tempted to buy wigs before and actually had hair extensions once (very disappointing experience) so I'd go for that if I could, as well. 

Celebrity

I am currently looking into the same thing. Dermatologists usually say that laser therapy or light therapy is being investigated for hair thinning or pattern baldness, with many indications that light therapy can be an effective treatment.

Can you just get laser therapy if you have normal hair, healthy hair, or whichever term you would prefer to use, but it's not growing well? 

I'm honestly not sure. I might actually call a few salons that offer laser therapy for hair loss to find out. If you do the same, please share what they say here and I will do as well. 

So let me get this right - you are not suffering from hair loss, it's just that your hair won't grow as fast as you'd like, and you are considering laser treatment to make your hair grow faster. Not only don't I think there's enough evidence to prove that these treatments really do work, even for people who actually have hair loss, I would also not spend money on that kind of thing. Laser treatment is expensive, and you have hair - just not the length you'd like. I'd be doing things along the lines of massaging the scalp to induce hair growth, but laser? That wouldn't be my thing.

Celebrity
Hey, just because you cannot afford it and/or don't want to spend money on those kinds of cosmetic treatments doesn't mean it's not a reasonable thing to do. Looots of women really want their hair to grow faster, and if laser treatment works, why not?

I am also a little on the skeptical side, but I would not be above trying a few treatments to see if there is any effect. I don't really see it as any different than having a relaxing facial that may or may not cause a very noticeable improvement in the skin.