Hi. I’m 24 and I’m trying to lose some weight for ages!!! I’ve tried several diets, few diet pills, workout… almost everything… But, as you may predict, with no result. Am as fat as I used to be before all these “treatments”. Anyway, I’ve recently heard that laxatives can help in weight loss. Could anybody tell me weather this is true? Thanks.

I think that is only an urban myth. Laxatives have little or no effect on reducing weight because by the time they work, the calories have already been absorbed.Therefore, I don’t think they will help your cause. I would suggest you eating as much fruits and vegetables as you can along with excluding bread and any kind of pasta, sweets,fast food…

In answer to your question about laxatives...they do not help you to lose weight. Trust me! THey make you feel very sick, cause horrible stomach aches, and if you abuse them it can lead to very serious health problems. Eat lots of grain, fruits, and vegetables and keep exercising. Don't resort to things that could have life long health risks. It's not worth it just to look like Nicole Richie. As my mother once told me, "she is so skinny, she looks like an alien!" Who wants to look like an alien???! Trust me, I have done tried it all and at the end of the day, none of it has worked and it has only caused me to feel worse. At least exercise releases endorphins and puts you in a good mood!

I had to respond to this one... I used to abuse laxatives. I had an eating disorder for years when I was only in Jr high school. I couldnt make myself throwup and starting using laxatives instead. Let me tell you it was the worst thing i've ever done. Yes, I lost weight, but in the most unhealthy way. I got so sick and was even hospitalized eventually. It was a hard recovery, but luckily I am okay today. I know its really hard to try all those diets and exercises and have them fail one after the next... Maybe what you should do is see a nutritionist or your doctor and talk to them about a safe, effective way of loosing weight for your body type. With many people though, they just dont stick to thier diets... and if you cheat or dont follow the reccomendations you will have a harder time! I wish you the best of luck!
And, Please dont turn to laxatives, they are not the answer!! ;-)

:( I am 16 years old and 5'1 and i weight 148 pounds. everytime i look at myself in the mirror I want to cry. I hate myself form head to toe. I will do ANYTHING to lose weight. I honestly dont care how unhealthy it is I just want to loose at least 20 pounds in less then a month. Can anyone tell me ANY way to do this? :cry:

EATING RIGHT AND STAYING VERY ACTIVE! ;-)

please god help yourself. laxatives, diet pills water will leave, but organs will fail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good luck with that

I hav never even seen this website but I had to reply. NEVER use laxatives for weight loss. If you are worried about your body now, just wait until after your done with those things. They damage your body and your organs and can't eliminate more than 50% of the calories you intake. When you try to stop you find you are constipated without them. When you are puking up your own feces you will understand what I mean. For the most effective long-term weight control eat a fruit or vegetable before every meal. Then increase your fiber intake and make sure protein is a part of every meal. You will decrease your appetite and feel healthier. Add this to a good habit of exercise or activity and try to accept that no woman looks like the television stars. You'll find that the way you feel and look is dramatically altered by your own perception!

Okay, I had a really long reply typed but here's what I was going to say in a nutshell. I'm only 23 years old, and I have been dealing with this problem for 10 years already. And, don't do it, seriously, please read this and seriously consider the truth, and hopefully you will realize that it doesn't help you at all in the long run. Okay, yes taking laxatives or I should say abusing them will actually help you lose weight. But, the ways that they do it are as follows:
*You realize hey I weigh less today!
*Then, you convience yourself that you don't want to eat because you don't want to gain the weight back.
*You find yourself drinking less.
* You get nauseated when you attempt to eat.
* And, you constantly have diarhea, you can't control when where or who is in the public restroom at work/school when you have it.

Look, it's not pretty, but it gets worse. If you still think it's worth it, listen to the rest. Picture yourself thinner, and then picture yourself smiling, and when you look at that smile, picture missing, broken and thin brittle teeth. Pretty huh? True though, because laxatives can remove the calcium from your body, (Because it won't let your body asborb the calcium), and it causes this to happen!!!!! Hardly no one seems to realize that this is a horrible side effect. Your teeth can practically crumble. And your bones...easily broken. Also, you can end up in the hospital for any of many many reasons, where they will pump you full of potassium (oh, and that reallllllly hurts!! It causes your arms to swell, and every vein they put the iv in with that c**p, collapsed). And, they will give you fluids. And, you can get Jaundice (where your skin turns yellow), from your liver enzymes being high because of organs failing, and end up with a not so pretty scar on your stomach for a while, or forever. depending on how fast your body will heal itself. And, think about your colon, no seriously think about it for a second, think about the alternatives to keeping it healthy. Okay, so those are the physical problems. Okay, the other side of the beautiful picture, is that you can picture yourself thin and popular all you want, but if you take this route...you'll probably be thin, and hanging out by yourself. Because, it tends to make you feel worse about yourself, go figure....and inferior for some reason. So, you walk around either shy and sad, or bitter and angry.So, as you can imagine, you'll be confused as will the people who love you. You'll end up pushing people away....so. I've tried to sum it up for ya, but it's not a short list. I hope that you realize that this is a baddddddd decision, and not one easily kicked, unless you can afford the treatment, I'd advise you to treat yourself to a fun night out. Because, unless you are already clinically depressed, why cause yourself to be by messing with your body and mind??? Consult your doctor, because some ppl have different reasons that diets fail, such as thyroid, hormones (my sister has this one, and they gave her medicine, and she's dropping pounds!!) all different types of causes. Don't hurt yourself! Heal yourself. But, I've told you everything that I can right now, trust me, it's embarrasing, and stupid. But who cares right, I mean to be young thin and beautiful, that's having it all right? I mean your organs can fail, your teeth can fall out, and your hair can look crappy and skin look horrible. You decide, but I hope you realize what decision you are making if you choose to try it.

hi im a laxative user & it's horrible. but i'm too attached to them to let go of them. nobody use them-there not worth it.

I'm a purging anorexic. And I occasionally take Ex-Lax when I know I'm going to have to eat that day (Example: when I go out to dinner)

It cleans out your system- DUH!
Of course they are going to help you MAINTAIN your weight. You're not going to loose anything, but you won't GAIN anything.

If you want to loose weight, take that sh*t and WORK-OUT.
Eat healthy foods.

:-)

Yes, they can, my friend did It. she was 145 and she lost about 30lbs by doing it, but the problem is that if you do it, there is a chance that you have to keep taking them because your body will depend on them. You have to becareful. hope I helped

Everybody using laxatives-STOP! i used them for over 20 yrs- 60plus tabs a day, ended up having a stroke and open heart surgery to remove a funky thing on my heart valve! unless you are looking to kill yourself or your parents, friends, and loved ones-this is not the way to go! Just stick to plain old good old eating habits, exercise, and drink tons of water!!!belileve me- you want to go this route, otherwise you end up messing up your whole metaoblic and gastrointestinal health like I did and it takes eons of years to fix that!!!!!! Please stay clear of thos nasty habitual laxatives!
Good luck to all 8)

Guest wrote:

yes you can let them go hun, just like anything, it's hard but recovery is possible!! you have to start eating A LOT of fiber and slowly take less and less laxatives. they deplete your body of all nutrients and mess up your electolytes so much. the sooner you quit the better. this can result in much worse results such as CARDIAC ARREST than dealing with a bloated tummy and constipation for a little while. you see how much you regret having started taking? you'll regret even more having not stopped sooner and realizing how much your body's health status really is in your hands.

good luck, please seek treatment if need be for your sake.

bon1286 wrote:

EATING RIGHT AND STAYING VERY ACTIVE! :wink:

Be happy with who you are. If you are wanting to lose that much weight, it takes time. Don't do anything stupid. Like they said, eat right. Cut back on all fatty foods. Drinking alot of juice helps, it cleans you out (healthy). Water, water, and more water.