Celebrity

I've heard it said time and time again that mineral makeup is non-comedogeic, ie that it will not clog the pores. At the same time, it's not at all hard to find statements from people who have tried mineral makeup for any length of time in which they say that the use of mineral makeup resulted in skin rashes and breakouts. 

Are these people actually allergic to individual components in mineral makeup, or could mineral makeup clog the pores much more than we know? 

I'm curious to hear what your personal experiences are, and what you think of this in general. 

This is a hard question to answer and I'm no expert on mineral makeup though I've used it, but my two cents... it seems that most of the time people encounter trouble with mineral makeup, it's not because it clogs the pores (like you say, it isn't meant to clog pores) but because of allergies to ingredients. Mica and bismuth oxychloride seem to be especially common offenders when it comes to mineral makeup allergies.

At the end of the day, if mineral makeup, or a specific product, it bad for your skin, it doesn't matter so much why that is, what matters is that you stop using it because it's not good for you.

Celebrity

Hey Lioness,

It seems like two main ingredients in many mineral makeup products can indeed clog the pores, and the ingredients in question are zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. These are different from the two main ingredients that cause allergies, which were listed already. 

When you add it all together, it appears that mineral makeup is not nearly as healthy for the skin as people tend to say. I know that I personally would not use it because I have very dry skin, and there is no moisture in mineral makeup. 

If you have normal skin and you are curious about mineral makeup, you could give it a try and see how your skin reacts, of course. 

Rosie

Health Advisor

Doesn't basically ANYTHING that's left on the skin for long periods of time clog the pores, unless it's too big to get in there? That's one thing about mineral makeup (I've used the MAC mineralise line myself and I like it) that's good. Of course, there's fewer artificial chemicals, but also, the actual particles in mineral makeup are supposed to be bigger. Some finely ground up formulas could probably definitely clog your pores though, I don't see why not. Even a clay mask can probably clog your pores if you were to, like, leave it on all day, you know?

Celebrity

This is a very interesting question and I am glad you asked it. Like you mentioned, people on blogs, in videos, and so on who are essentially promoting mineral makeup, whether for pay or because it works for them, always, always, always mention that mineral makeup does not clog the pores or cause acne breakouts. It is often recommended for people with rosacea as well. 

If you dig deeper and look on forums like this one, you will, on the other hand, come across many people whose personal experience proves that this is simply not true. So many people talk about getting acne after using mineral makeup that I just can't really see it being non-comedogenic. 

Celebrity
Doesn't everything your skin is exposed to for a long time have the ability to clog the pores?? That is a good question. Certainly, it emphasizes the idea that, even if you use more natural products, it is still important to cleanse your skin before you go to bed, and to generally offer your skin a break once in a while.

I tend to avoid wearing makeup during lazy weekend days, for example, just to let my skin breathe, and I also take my makeup off right after I come home from work unless I am doing something that requires makeup.

These replies made sense though. If something appears to be bad for the skin, then stop using it - that is the way to go.