New Reply New Topic Followed by 18 people

I had knee injury 3 weeks ago. I got cortisone shot because of bad inflammation. I have to avoid physical activity for next two months. I have heard that cortisone caused weight gain. I believe that not, but could one shot cause weight gain? It seems to me like I have put on weight a bit, but it was probably caused by lack of activity.

One single cortisone shot really can not be cause of gaining weight. Cortisone is naturally occurring substance, hormone, and it just helps body to solve the inflammation. Cortisone has number of side effects which are likely to occur in long term therapy. I was on cortisone about a year ago, got three shots in my left knee and also had to stay in bed for about a month, but had no problems with gaining weight.

I gained a good percentage of weight after just one shot, and after the second, had gone up 10% - 15% my normal weight. And my dr. told me he had given me fairly small dosages because I was a small person to begin with (started out 114 lbs, 5"3", now I'm 132lbs) Its been 8 weeks since the first injection and I see no signs of it slowing down. I have other symptoms too and I'm starting get concerned about all of the effects this is having on my body, but I can't seem to get any answers out of doctors because they don't share my concern.

I just got a cortisone shot and I notice that my face looks puffier and I've gained a few lbs. even though I picked up on exercising.- just within one week! If I had known this I would not have let the doctor give me a shot. I'm wondering now that it's been a long time since your post, are you back to normal? For you, I don't understand how it could be so long-lasting. Have you ever learned any more?

It took a good year or so before my body went "back to normal" the process was slow and frustrating. I am still not fully back to normal - I have a bunch of stretch marks and some areas where all of the extra weight did not go away, but much closer to where I started. I'd say I'm 5-10 lbs above where I started now. A couple extra wasn't a bad thing but my body isn't quite the same. The doctors did confirm it was all because of the cortisone (they wanted me to take the 3rd shot but I refused obviously) and I hope I never have to take it again. Despite what the poster before me said, yes this CAN happen from one shot. It happened to me. Just depends on your individual body and how it reacts to the extra hormone. Mine acted as if I was pregnant or something. I had horrible muscle cramps, food cravings, and many other symptoms. If you are reacting like this after one shot, i would demand a different treatment. Don't get me wrong, the cortisone took away my pain for which I was very grateful but I would NEVER go through this again. Talk to you doctor and see if there is alternative for you.

I have had an extremely huge painful heel spur for about 2 years and have had to have cortisone injections for the pain.  I have had a total of 5 shots during this time.  And I have gained 45 lbs. I do believe it is the shots, because I am a very active person and have stayed that way throughout all of this the Dr. wants to start sound wave surgery not sure what that will do to me.  But I am so done with those shots, they also caused me anxioty, nervousness, and hot sweats during the night. The pain is gone while the shot is working so I am able to walk without pain, but the weight is really becoming a health issue.

I agree that a single shot can assist in weight gain.  I as 142lbs on April 15th....the day I received the first shot in my left shoulder.  Here is it, April 27, and I'm up to 147lbs!  This is awful! What's worse is, my shoulder has NOT gotten any better!  I have very little mobility now!  I'm scheduled for an MRI but the day couldn't come sooner.  Wow!  If I would've known, I would have opted out of the shot. In addition to the weight gain, I'm having some really weird abdominal cramping. 

i gained about 6 lbs  with one injection that i had 4 weeks ago. I am very active and there is no other explanation.  HAs anyone seen themselves go back to normal (lose the weight) yet after their injections? i just cancelled my second injection ...the side effects are not worth it. I have been tired, run down, wake in the middle of the night EVERY night ....anyone that can relate or offer advice? anythng would help....i want to see the light at the end of the tunnel!

thanks!

hottiek,

i've gained over 30lbs from a series of 5 cortison injections. 4 epidurals, 1 set of lumbar facets. I feel awful, i have symptoms of early menopause and i'm only 31. I went to my family Dr and he said that all my symptoms could not be from the cortisone (anxiety, weight gain, flushing, mood swings, night sweats, low sex drive, the list goes on) of course his diagnosis was depression. I am NOT depressed. These symptoms started after about the 3rd injection, my Ortho Dr did in fact say we should stop for a while b/c i was having my period for 3 months in a row (another symptom) but then started them (injections) again in a few months. Long story short its been such a struggle, but i did see a light at the end of the tunnel when i went to my new OBGYN. I gave her the list of my symptoms told her my Dr said i was depressed and she nearly fell of her chair. She told me all my symptoms without a shadow of a doubt were from the cortisone. She also said its going to take my body about 8-9 months to return to normal and at that point i should see the weight come down. I'm on my 5th month now since my last injection and finally the first thing i notice is my hot flashes are not as bad. I used to get them everyday and now its more like once a week, if any. I really hope this post helps you to see the light, its a small one but its there. I feel so disgusting being at this weight, nothing fits and i just want it off. The injections were for my lumbar (degeneration, bulging discs, herniations etc..) funny thing is with all the weight i've put on it puts more strain on my low back. I will NEVER, EVER, get another cortisone injection EVER. I will seek out alternative methods. If you have anymore questions please feel free to contact me. I was looking up to find people with the same situation as myself. Take care. Thanks. :)

petty30- thanks so much for your reply. it sucks that you're going through all that. I know my neck pain was bad, but honestly, if i had been told about all the side effects (which were barely mentioned - only that i may have an irregular period) I would not have done it. I guess I should have looked into it more myself before blindly trusting the dr  - my fault there.  The weight gain alone is just not worth it for me since it stresses me more than anything. I have read others who have had such relief with the injections that the side effects are worth it...and i guess in some cases that must be true. I hope that your back has been helped overall??? and that maybe it was worth it after you get your body back to normal? I feel that i am getting back to normal a bit  6 weeks after my one and only epidural - but, gosh, that kicked my butt and i felt all of what you described you above. And i do think that these things can cause us to be down or depressed, but that obviously depression is not the culprit here!  how much weight have you gained? Has excessive hunger been an issue or really just unexplained gain? just curious. it's tough, i know it! My husband is seeing the same dr and he is looking into another technique using some sort of filler for the disc space from the degeneration of discs - when he gets more info I can let you know if you want...thanks again  and i really hope things keep getting better like they are for me :)

Hi Jkkutrieb.

I agree, if i was told about the side effects before the injections i probably would have tried 1 and if it didnt work, i would have stopped. I was pretty unfortunate with my results, thats why the Ortho continued to do them in different areas to try to relieve the pain. My really bad symptoms came out after this last round in January 11. Its been horrible since then and i hate to say this but its almost like the Dr's try to cover it up and deny that the symptoms could come from the cortisone. I agree that i blindly went into this becasue i was so desperatly seeking pain releif. Now I'm actually being tested for Cushings Disease. Apparently when the body is exposed to too much cortisone in some people it can promt their adrenal glands to produce the bodies own Cortisol, which is the "stress hormone" (if you look it up you'll see the symptoms)  I'm waiting on the results from an adreal specialist.

I've gained about 30-35lbs. How much did you gain after the 1 injection? After each shot it was 5lbs here and 5 there, but after the last round it was 10lbs in almost an instant. I went on weight watchers and was so strict for 3 weeks. After the 3 weeks i decided to weigh myself and this is when i knew something was really wrong. I GAINED 6 ounces!!!! I didnt notice that i was more hungry but i did notice my cravings for sugar went up. Hard candy, etc....real sugary stuff. I could eat a bag of lollypops while watching an hour TV show. (bad i know)

I really hope for you since it was the 1 epidural that you can return to normal soon. My advice is that risk is not worth the reward (at least in my case) If you can do accupuncture or anything else I think I will try that at some point. I'm also happy to hear your hubby is trying alternetive methods to try to relieve his pain. I wonder with men though...their hormones are so different than women, i wonder if he would be fine? Just a thought b/c all my symptoms seem to be related to hormones being effected. I would love to hear if the Dr can come up with any other solutions for him. I welcome that information. Please also keep my posted on your progress as I will keep you posted on mine. Hopefully you and I will have some good news soon. Take care. :)

I gained about 35 pounds from 3 of them in my back. It never happened until the 3rd one, though. It was almost overnight. I would never have had them if I knew this was going to happen!! I also have a huge lump near the top of my spine now. I can't remember what the doctor told me it was, but I guess only some people get it and most of the people don't. It has something to do with the adrenal glands being suppressed from the cortisone.

hey pinkf911

wow that is terrible let us know what the lump turns out to be that is very scary. I do know that I am so done with those stupid shots.It's been about five months since my last shot and the weight is still on me I am so unhappy with the way I look, and the way I feel. I wonder how long it takes for your adrenal glands to get back to normal?  :(....it sadens me to hear so many bad experiences people have had all to relieve pain.

I have heard that once the shots wear off, within a week or so your metlbolism and adrenal glands should go back to normal. I think cortisone lasts for 6 months? I think. Yeah, the whole lump thing is crazy! I noticed it about a week ago. I had my shots in my L4/L5 disks that were bulged. My doctor had actually told me I would only gain 5 pounds tops. So that is why I said, sure! Go ahead with the shots. My pain has gone down significantly, but I am having emotional pain now because of the weight gain. Ugh! I am going to absolutely not to any more cortisone shots. I will go through other routes instead! I will definitely let you know what I find out about the lump, though!

Hi everyone!
I found out what the lump is on my back/neck. I have Cushing's syndrome. It's rare, but you can get it from excessive amounts of cortisone. basically, my doctor gave me too much cortisone at once!!! I have to get the lump checked out more because it may be forming a tumor (benign) under the skin, and now I may have to get surgery!!

Cortisone shots are not worth it! If you need them, only get one at first, then go from there.

Maybe it is just because I have had a horrible experience that seems to just be getting worse from my last shot that was 3 weeks ago.