hi,if a person was bipolar could strenous prolonged exercise trigger off a manic phase/episode as when i am at work and we have a really long day (i do removals) and it is hard work, my mind starts racing and i sort of feel on the edge of a panic attack,i really am bouncing off the walls and am not calm in any way,sometimes this lasts all night to some extent and i cannot sleep because of it even though i have just done a twelve or 15 hour day,'manic' really is a word to describe it.I have been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, and have panic attacks and anxiety but i have been wondering for some time if i could be mildly bipolar,i am just trying to find out if this could bring on a manic episode as i am trying to determine if i could be slightly bipolar,many thanks for answers.

Hi honey! Anxiety can also give you the same symptoms of being "manic" and due to your stress level of not having enough rest and pushing yourself too hard your panic and anxiety levels will be heightened! Is there Bi-polar illness in your family? Many studies have been done to see if there is a genetic component for bi-polarism! And it is more prevelant in families that have suffered from it! Are you on anything for your anxiety such as Cymbalta or Clonazepam!?

i hope it is just anxiety and panic but it just feels like something more sometimes,i can be bouncing off the walls or feel depressed and just have no mental sharpness at all,the change in me is quite drastic sometimes.most of the time though it is anxiety,although i can feel anxious and depressed at the same time,the only time i feel calm is when im just depressed which isnt very often.I have only just started going to doctors in recent years as i need to sort myself out so i havent tried many medications but i am now on quetiapine (seroquel) dont know if you have heard of them as i am from britain,they do calm me down a bit,my body and eyes more than my head though.i dont really feel like they are sorting me out but they do calm me.as for family history i dont know,i will have to subtly find out,thanks for your answer.

You need a really good checkup to see what you are suffering from, to get on the right medicine! I know you are embarassed about this, especially due to your statement about "subtly finding out" BUT with such severe reactions that you have been having, I am SURE your family is totally aware that you are suffereing from mental illness honey! So just ask if anyone in the family had episodes of being REALLY up and REALLY down!? As a British person myself, I know what you are saying - especially about mental illness! So don't present it to your family as a "Mental" issue, just put it forward as a "concern" as in "Hey mum/dad, did you guys or grandma and gradad ever had problems with being over the top and really down?" They are more likely to talk to you about this than asking if someone in the family is "mentally ill" does that make sense to you? I hope so! I remember when I FINALLY went to a psychologist, I kept thinking to myself "Pull yourself together woman you're British!!!!" ;-) XD As you are aware, In Britain - especailly small towns- IF you have a problem you will have MANY psychologists telling you what to do!!!! ;-) 8-| There is no such thing as personal space!!!! LOL

So just ask in a round about way, then make an appointment with your family doctor for you to see a psychiatrist - as psychologists cannot perscribe medications! And then you can try other combinations and get this under control OK? And please let me know how you make out OK? Good luck and health honey!