New Reply New Topic Followed by 11 people

I have been taking opiates (percocet) for about two years now. I had a major back surgery, but I feel now it is definately time to get off the opiates. I was wondering if Wellbutrin could help me to get off the opiates?

I would appreciate any feedback
Thanks!

It might help with the depression and anxiety aspect of the withdrawl but it won't do anything for the physical side of it. It is best to slowly detox off any opiate to prevent severe symptoms....

I was just prescibed the generic form of Wellbutrin (Bupropion) for Percocet withdrawal and it helped A LOT. True it did nothing for the physical withdrawals but it's the mental thing that really sucks and that's what the Wellbutrin really helps with. I'm a 4 year on and off abuser of Opiates and I always went back to them because of the long term depression, lack of energy symptoms and it helps with my Chronic Anxiety which Ive always had, which is why I did Opiates to begin with because most other Anti-Anxiety pills just made me sleepy. I'd recommend this to anyone trying to stay off Opiates

I highly doubbt you had any mental or other relief from opiate withdrawal/depression etc placebo at best.sure it may seem chemicallly like a good idea but ...well it is not that simple no way!

I just quit a 240mg/day OxyContin maintenance regime (for chronic pain) cold turkey.  I am also on Effexor (150) and Wellbutrtin SR (150mg).  Well I can report that I had NO W/D's! A minor tremor, but that is all.  No nausea, no vomiting, no anxiety, no depression, no skin crawling, no sweating, nothing!

I am 72 hours into my own personal detox and I am as active as ever.  The first two days, I felt like I had a minor hangover, but that was all. The night of the first full day without opiates (at about the 36 hour mark since last dose), I woke up with that skin crawling feeling that is just awful.  I took another Effexor (150mg) and Wellbutrin SR (150mg).  The feeling was gone within 30 minutes and I fell asleep and slept through the entire night, a full 8 hours.

I am absolutely stunned as I was expecting 5 days of hell.  This could be the "silver bullet" for opiate w/d's.  

I myself have been using oxy contin for about a year and a half (aprox. 180-200mg per day) and have detoxed twice which both times were pure hell.  Every possible side effect there is i had for almost 3 weeks.The depression from discontinuing them was so bad that I kept going back to it as it was the only thing that took the depression away. 4 months later I started taking wellbutrin as I wanted to try and kick the habbit and I thought I would have better luck if I started on an anti depressant to help with the depression. Well...I was shocked, on day 4 of my withdrawal I hadnt had hardly ANY side effects. No vomiting no nothing. I didnt feel 100%, I was weak and didnt feel up to dong anything for a while but only major thing was restlessness in my legs. Iv been wanting to share my story but thought that it may have just been a coincidence but now I dont think so. I recommend anyone who is going to detox, look into getting a prescription possibly.

I was very very very addicted to pain pills. The last time I stopped I was up to 1000mgs a day of the OP 80s and doing another 500 mgs a day of the IR roxy 30s. I didnt get the high of the drug any more. I did it to run from the withdrawls. which at that time would come on full force in less than 3 hrs of my last dose. I thought about suicide. WHAT THE f**k WAS I GONNA DO? I had heard of people being on the high of a dose a day but always called BS no way you would  live, how could you hide it, how could you hold a job, how would you just not go to sleep and not wake up! Well I was wrong you can do it. It just might crush you into nothing. But with chase n the high your tolerence will grow. But so do the withdrawls.

Anyway this was my life one year ago. I was scared to say the lest, but then something great happened i bit the bullet went to the Dr and told him of my habit. All of it. And he told me that he didnt ever have some one come in for help with this.( I kinda felt like a dumb ass). Oh well he did a little looking and ended up giving me a script for WELLBUTRIN. I was very doubtful to say the least. 4-6 weeks my ass. placibo BS. I HAD THE MILDEST WITHDRAWLS EVER. THE ONLY THING WAS I WAS WEAK. NOT FROM THE DRUGS BUT FROM ME NOT EATING WHILE IN ACTIVE ADDICTION. IT WORKS VERY VERY VERY WELL. I HAVE BEEN OPIATE FREE FOR THE LAST 1YR 1MONTH AND 3DAYS. I USED OPIATES HEAVY FOR 5 YEARS. I TRIED TO QUIT OVER 17 TIMES. I HAD WITHDRAWLS WITH EVERY ONE OF THEM, UNTIL THE WELLBUTRIN.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU TRYING TO QUIT! IT IS POSSIBLE.  YOU CAN DO IT.

Wellbutrin will help!!!It has similar structure in it's molecular compounds to stimulants such as amphetamine, ahchummmm..which is ADDERALL!! This makes me extremely angry at the pharm companies, for all they care about is greed, making billions off people by not fixing the problem they are going through, but just aiding them into living a life of pure hell, keeping them on long term maintenance programs by pretending they come up with miracle durgs like suboxone which in itself is a drug. I'm so angry, upset, and hurt by what our society has done, that I wanted to take it upon myself to help anyone, anyone, whether going through an addiction to narcotics, or stimulants. Wellbutron is not promoted the way it should be. It is because if it was known to most that this is actually a medication that is an "anticraving" drug, the pharm companies would be losing money since well, suboxone would no longer exist. I'm here to tell you. F them! Take Wellbutrin if you do not have epilepsy or any other potentially harmful issues that could have a negative effect with this particular medicaion.
Please, people listen to@badhabit! Post is on target!!

1500 mg a day?! What are you, a buffalo???

Lol! I have chronic pain issues too but I can't imagine that much too..though a part of me might want to try.

Has anyone taken Suboxone for an elongated period of time for pain management and used Wellbutrin. I started Buproprion and have been reducing my 8/2 sublinguals by a half pill a week...was on four a day..
I am now down to a half a pill and experiencing pretty heavy anxiety, off and on aches and weakness, severe anxiety and depression, some nausea...blurred vision...migraines...but, I also have health issues. So, can anyone relate? I thought the wellbutrin would be a good choice since i have dopamiine issues in my family..and going off the suboxone would only create a dopamine problem to get worse, but I am still having issues...perhaps I need to up my dose and some effexor too? I have been through so much I just don't want to be on pharmaceuticals anymore... I also take a lil klonipin for the anxiety but try very hard not to take it..

Thank you for your honest opinion. We couldn't agree with you more.

Badhabit wrote:

This is the best newa ive heard yet, i just got prescribed wellbutrin for depression an i aslo take prozac,i have been on roxi 30s for a cpl yrs,tried to get off many times with suboxone an always end up goin back to them. I am so excited to pick up my wellbutrin not only for depression but jus reading these post ,im excited knowing it is gonna help me get off pain pills because it will help with the withdrawels,this is the best news ive heard all day......thanx bad habit,u made my day!!

I want to thank all of you for sharing your stories. Your stories have given me the courage I needed! For the first time I am ready and excited to take my life back! I will no longer be a slave to pain pills. I started my Wellbutrin today and tomorrow will be my first day of freedom in many years! You have all inspired me and taken my fear away! I am ready- Jesus will give me strength and Wellbutrin will take care of the rest! I am so excited! Thank you all!

lucygirl wrote:

i can say that wellbutrin worked wonders for me as far as quitting oxycontin.absolutley the bare minimum withdrawls..i feel like a new person.......good luck to all....th