A new Europe-wide scientific study showed that smokers may increase their chances of contracting colon cancer by eating a lot of fruits and vegetables.

Although a high intake of fruit and vegetables appeared to reduce the risk among non-smokers but seems to have the reverse effect on smokers.

Dutch National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM) found that people who ate 600g or more vegetables and fruit a day had a 20% to 25 % lower chance of developing colon cancer than people who ate 220g or less.

On the other hand, for smokers, the consumption of vegetables and fruit appeared to increase the chances of colon cancer.

The conclusion may be that protection against colon cancer through the consumption of vegetables and fruit might depend on smoking habits.
RIVM official Hans Verhagen said that this did not mean that smokers should stop eating their greens. THEY SHOULD STOP SMOKING.
The research project included 500,000 people from 10 European countries who were questioned about their eating and smoking habits and studied for 8.5 years.

The study authors believe that substances within fruit and vegetables may even increase the carcinogenic potential of tobacco smoke.
This was the first study to examine the effects of fruit and vegetable consumption while making a distinction between smokers and non-smokers.

I really don't know what to make of this study. I am a non-smoker who eats lots of vegetables. I am occasionally exposed to second-hand smoke whenever I am in public places. Would such exposure increase my chance of getting colon cancer?