I was diagnosed with having a cataract at the age of 37. The unaffected eye was the dominant one and when I had both eyes open I saw fairly normally. It was only when I closed the unaffected eye that I realized how poor my vision in my left eye was. Even with the bad eye I was able to see close up and didn't need glasses to read. I had cataract surgery last Tuesday June 2nd and immediately following the surgery I had 20/20 vision in my left eye. I did find that I could no longer see things close up and even my own image in the mirror was blurry. I have come to understand that the artificial lens is unable to change shape to focus on things close up but I'm starting to realize that I corrected one problem for another. I would be fine if I just needed glasses to read but to need glasses to be able to see a person 3 feet away who I am having a conversation with is very unsettling. Is this just a matter of my eyes adjusting and eventually my right eye can take control at close distances or have I sacrificed my close vision completely?

See your optometrist for prescription trifocal or progressive multifocal lens. These lens will allow you to focus at various distances on the same spectacle.