Hi, sometimes when I run the left side of my chest hurts. It usually goes away after awhile, but it is cause for concern. Considering that I can run as hard as I want for as long as I want I'm not worrying about anything life or career-threatening, I was just wondering.

Also if it helps I am an ex-division 1 varsity swimmer that is in very good shape, I just haven't run in a very long time. This pain does not repeat itself with other forms of cardio.

Edit: I recently had a physical where they said I had nothing irregular with my body. That means heartbeat, etc. I didn't bring this up with them because I wasn't running at this point.

Hello, did you ever receive a response for the left chest pain that you suffer from while running?
I have the same feeling.
Please let me know.

Thanks

**edited by moderator**

Hey I know theres a lot of runners on here and I just wondered if anyone has experienced this.

After I've been running for a while (generally not that very long) I start to get this very weird feeling in my chest, concentrated on my left side. As soon as I stop running the pain is gone, but as soon as I start running again it comes back.

At first I thought it might be something serious--but I mean I know it wasn't a heartattack obviously so I've alway pushed through it, but now I think maybe its more a muscle spasm kind of thing?

Any ideas? It's made getting back into running very difficult because I convince myself not to go for a run in order to avoid that pain.

I wanted to add something to this discussion. I am 29, Male, in good shape, and I started running at least one mile every day as a new years resolution. I also experienced intense chest pain on the left side accompanied by pain in my left shoulder blade that would go away a few minutes after stopping the run. I was also very concerned about my heart, and was about to quit running altogether.

I did some research which led me to try running without breathing in through my mouth, only through my nose and then out of my mouth. When I was running before, I was only breathing through my mouth. My point is, it worked. I ran the same distance and had absolutely no pain. My heart rate came back down much more quickly after the run, and the nagging cough I usually have after a run was gone.

I'm still going to the doctor next week and I will bring this up, and I would encourage anybody with these symptoms to do the same.

Hope this helps.

Hi, i have tried breading in through the nose, and out trough my mouth, and it has eased running a lot. And i fell a lot better now while running. It's a very good technique, and I use it now all the time, while I run.
Does anybody knows is it better to run on asphalt or on grass??? I've heard someone said that it is easer when running on a grass. Why is that?

The symptoms you described are exactly like mine. I'm 28 years old and run every day. I'll try the breathing technique and let you know how it goes.

Have same trouble here, but on the right side. Slightly concerned.

The reason it's better to run on grass is because it eases the strain on your body by cushioning your landing. Instead of stopping almost instantly, there is a bit of space over which your falling foot is slowed. Thus, it helps to prevent shin splints.

I am a 24 year old physically fit female. I do a couple of different types of cardio along with weights, but I only experience chest pain and discomfort when I run. It is not every time I run, in fact it's is more like once a month that the pain occurs. Usually I can run 5 miles no problem but once in a while I have to stop running before I even hit a mile because the pain is so intense. Most of the time it feels like it is at the bottom of the left side of my chest but sometimes, like today, it is all over but still seems to be toward the underside of my chest at my rib cage. It goes away after 10 or so minutes after I stop running. Does anyone have any idea what I could be experiencing? And should I be seeking medical attention?

Same thing happens to me. I'm 24 year old male and I usually run for 20-30 min and sometimes i get the same cramp like feeling to the left of my sternum. Today As I ran I held my left pectoral when I felt the pain coming and it actually went away. Now of course I didn't spend 20min holding my chest but I think something has to do with the chest muscles bouncing and pulling on the tissue inside of the chest.
Just a note, I do jump rope (vigorously), and workout 5 to 6 days a week.

I am also a 24 year old male. I ran cross country in high school but since then have not really done much exersise. I used to drink alot of alcohol but now i have gotten better and want to join the military. But whenever I start running after two blocks or so i start to get this very sharpe pain in left inner left chest area. Could this be heart related or just that I am very out of shape and need to push through it??? I am about 5/9 and 187...

I just wanted to say that I get the same thing - happened today after about a mile. Just previously I had spiked above anaerobic threshold, so maybe this has something to do with it?

Hi, chest pain might be due to several reasons. Heart disease is one of them. I would advise all of you here who experienced severe chest pain when running to consult a specialist doctor for safe. Take care.

Hi lookihealthy,
Do you think that chest pain can be related to something else, like some respiratory problem? I agree with the possibility of some heart issue.

Well folks, I'm 59 -- a seasoned athlete and have been running for years. I had a foot bursa injury which kept me from running for over a year -- healed now, BUT -- when I started running again -- MY GOD -- chest pains like you would not believe. At my age I thought I was close to a heart attack, but all other forms of exercise were no problem at all! Only running! You would think that I would have remembered running breathing techniques -- guess not! I was always congested and had to breath through my mouth when I started running -- the pain set in. Only when I held my breath during running did the pain stop - but how can you run while holding your breath. BOTTOM line here -- breath through your nose, I do this now ( congestion is better) and the pain is gone.

I see that most of these posts are from younger folks -- thanks, because I was really getting worried and these posts helped me evaluate what the Hell was going on with this old mans body. You guys are doing great -- just breath through your nose and for God's sake -- don't stop running!

Guest wrote:

The exact same thing happens to me!!! Exactly as you described, only happens like once every month or even every two months. And only when I run. I am 19yr old fit female. And it is not that I am tired, I was always want to keep running but I just can't because the pain and discomfort are so great. Hmmm. It is so odd. Any ideas from anybody?????